Antelope Hunts & ATV's

F

Flatlandr

Planning my first lope hunt to WY and was wondering if I should bring the quad or leave it home. This is assuming we are in one of the units with lots of BLM ground.
Thanks,
Mark

Why not bring the ATV so you don't have to beat up your truck as much on the rough roads? Can antelope only hear ATV's and not other vehicles? Maybe mine is the exception but my 4 wheeler is just as quiet as my truck. I'd bring it if I were you.

Not to mention that recovery is much easier with a quad. I don't care to hunt with one, but they are tops for getting the critter out.

wow, very mixed responses but thanks for them. I am NOT considering hunting from one but was curious about the retrieval of game (sorry should have been more specific). My Dad will be hunting with me and he was thinking bringing one for hauling the goat back to a road. From what I have read I believe it is acceptable to do that as long as ground conditions aren't wet / muddy where the quad would leave tracks?

Bring it but stay on the roads. If you get any weather it will sure allow you to access areas that may get too muddy to safely get to in a truck. 2 out of the last 3 times I've goat hunted in WY, we were hampered by mud. A quad would have been nice.

Goats are relatively small and so to pack that I don't think you need a quad for retreival, not to mention the environmental impact of taking one cross country. Quarter it out and pack it if you need to. It shouldn't take you more than one trip.

http://www.wildernessathlete.org/ because the most important piece of equipment you own is YOU!

BigPig thanks for your thoughts. Never considered the mud factor, don't they call it something like gumbo out there?

If you're a non-resident, you have to pay some fee for registering them in Wyoming. I think it's around $20 or so. Never personally done it.

CS

"Helping turn good tags, into great ones." - VIP Optics

I agree the biggest issue would be access if the weather turns bad. Those roads can become nearly impassable after a heavy rain. As far as the hunting and retreiving part you'll do just fine on foot. GOOD LUCK. C.C.

Take it!When we went we brought are's,we hunted public land for 3 days and didn't uses them,but then got on some private land and they saved us alot of work

"Pain is fear leaving your body"

I have been on three WY hunts and encountered impassable roads and significant travel difficulty on two of them. I think an ATV (on the roads) could be useful if the weather isn't too cold, which it shouldn't be during the antelope seasons. Nice to have the option anyway.

If I am not mistaken, I don't think
you can retrieve down game on an atv
in wyoming, you are restricted to
roads and 2 tracks only.

I have hunted wyoming goats several
times and have never used one,
mainly because of the dust and wind.

Just my 2 cents!

Mark:

From the Wyoming Game & Fish 2008 Non-Resident Hunting Information and Applications Booklet (Section 13, page 11)

http://gf.state.wy.us/wildlife/hunting/NonResident/index.asp

b. All Terrain Vehicle Permit Required. All Off-Road recreational Vehicles (ATV?s, dirt bikes; including out of state ORV?s displaying a permit or registration from their state) are required to display a Wyoming ORV permit while operating on public lands and other designated trails or areas
(excludes private property). ORV?s may only be operated upon public lands when on roads, trails or areas designated ?open? by appropriate local land managers (Forest Service, BLM or others, as appropriate). ORV riders should contact the local land manager?s office in the area in which they wish to ride to determine which roads, trails and areas are open for ORV
use. Visit http://wyotrails.state.wy.us for phone numbers of the various land managers in Wyoming. The $15.00 annual ORV permit is available at most local ATV/ORV dealers and selling agents throughout Wyoming or by calling (877) 996-7275. Please allow 7 to 10 days delivery. Major credit cards accepted.

Thanks for the link searcher. I think I have decided to just leave the quad at home this trip and bring the tire chains.

My Dad and I have dragged out a ton of goats. We have a "deer drag" that works really well. The terrain is not steep and with the grass that is on the landscape, it makes dragging game a piece of cake. Not to mention...you have earned the reward. That is the way we look at it. Getting your game out by hard work is all part of the game....and gratification.

Steve

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom