Antelope hunting in colorado

J

jim3

Are there any units in Colorado with decent draw odds for rifle antelope with 0 points. Also is unit 88 a good place for rifle. I have bowhunted there this past season and saw some decent bucks. Any input is greatly appreciated.

NO. Almost all of the better units require points. A few eastern units you could draw with 0 points and there are some descent prairie carp out there but its private land and could be hard to get access. That being said I've had pretty good success just knocking on doors ahead of the season and acquiring permission. I hunt 88 a lot through landowner tags but if you are just applying through the regular draw it will probably take you 5-6 years.

AntlerQuest Hunt Consulting

Thanks for the info. I am curious as to how you can get landowner tags. Do you have to own the property or get them from someone else. Kind of a stupid question. Thanks again.

Not a stupid question but it kind of a long answer, but I'll be brief. There are 2 ways for a landowner to be eligible for tags, the chance at best success if for the him to register his land, which has to be done in January. Depending how many acres he has he could draw X amount of licenses based on how much property he owns. Could draw, not guaranteed. I do the paperwork for my landowner friend and pay for the applications. In return I get a few of his landowner vouchers. Thats the readers digest version.

AntlerQuest Hunt Consulting

Ive read that in order for someone that doesnt own that much land to get a voucher is to dish out the big bucks. Is this the norm and if so how much could one expect to pay. Thanks again for all of your help. It is greatly apreciated.

I know you are asking about 88 but last year in 87 I guided a couple hunters and talked to a few more that it took 7 points for unit 87! You might be able to draw a doe tag with 0 points thats about it. I would knock on doors too, most folks out that way are very nice and would let you on without any trespass fees. There is a little Pawnee national grassland out there too. But if you have bowhunted out there you have a good idea where to go. Good luck! Jeff

Thanks a lot Deerking. I was looking into rifle hunting but I think that I will try muzzleloader. I will definitely go bow again.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom