Antelope Horns

ElkSniper

Very Active Member
This year I drew unit 52 NM tag and the Game and fish released antelope into that unit and cut the tips of their horns. They cut about a couple inches off the tip of their horns for easy handleing.

My Question is does the horn grow back? Or does it just round off? Or does it just stay flat cut?

Thanks,

ElkSniper

Antleope shed their horns every year and grow new ones - only horned animal in the world that does that. If they were released last year before they lost their sheaths, the horns should be fine.

Generally August first or so

4786img_2322.jpg

They must decompose somewhat quickly because in my 18 years of hunting antelope, I've found one shed horn. Only one.......I think that is somewhat strange. Just a thought....

Steve

we have a lot of antelope on our ranch and i have never found much. i found one and i left it in the back of my truck for several months thru a wet winter and it did not dissolve or break down any... my theory is i think coyotes may get to them and eat em. after not having those horns desolve in my truck coyotes are my next thought.

I seem to find quite a few every year I am in antelope country in the spring. Here's a few I found just a few weeks ago.

Have a good one BB

Foundhorns.jpg

I just can't find the big ones. Ha Ha!!!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom