Antelope home range

P

PLP

LAST EDITED ON Aug-26-12 AT 07:57PM (MST)[p]How big is an antelopes home range? Found a buck with a doe,and got within 75yds when the wind swirled and she took him across 5 hills out of sight..never to be seen again!!This is rough broken country..You literally have to check every dip,and valley..I looked for them the entire next day with no luck...I originally found him here a month+ ago with 2 does and a fawn..He was within 1/2 mile of where I first saw him...and was within a few hundred yards of where they retreated to the first time I saw him..So this spot seems to be a favorite bedding spot.I found where they are crossing the fence..Water is plentiful,so the only influence they really have on them is human interference..If I can not find him next friday evening..I will start looking for him again..Any tips on why they pick certain spots in this hilly terrain?

Also if you spook antelope from a waterhole...what is the likely hood of them coming back to that waterhole another day?
Thanks a ton!

LAST EDITED ON Aug-27-12 AT 02:19PM (MST)[p]As far as waterholes go, I've had big bucks come back the same day to a waterhole they've been spooked from so it all depends on availability of water. An antelope's home range is the same right before and right after the rut. They'll be all over the place in the rut moving in search of hot does. They definitely have their favorite spots in their home range where they like to bed or cross a fence...learn those and you should be good.

I found a spot they like to bed up,and cross the fence nearby..The terrain sort of funnels them to this point as well..It is just difficult for me to sit at a hole in the fence for 15 hours..lol..Id rather stalk around..There are not many pronghorn in this area at all..you can walk 15 miles and see 3 or 4..if you are lucky.Maybe the fence is my best option since there are alot of water sources around...maybe if someone else pushes some they will pass thru my hole in the fence,or just naturally as they feed around..I am told they move quite often.Thanks for the advice!

PLP, Take this for what its worth because it is based on book learning and not my personal experience. I've been reading Pronghorn: Ecology and Management. It's a textbook for Wildlife Biology students.

Anyway, the authors make the point that there are "territorial bucks" and there are "bachelor bucks". Territorial bucks are almost always at least 3 years old. They will mark out a territory and stay in it during the rut. Territories are typically about 1 square mile (sometimes as big as 3 miles). Bachelor bucks are bucks that have not been able to stake out a territory. They may be younger bucks, but not always. Does have a larger home range (around 5 sq miles)and as they go about their home range the territorial bucks in the area will attempt to herd and keep them on their territory. They will vigorously defend the females and try to drive off bachelor bucks who try to horn in on the action.

I think you are dealing with a territorial buck. You have seen him there a couple times in the same area. Based on what I'm reading I'd be willing to bet he is within a mile of where you saw him. To your point about being able to locate the antelope again, the research seems to indicate that antelope are primarily active during the day. There was some research shared in the book that says (no surprise) that antelope are most active at dusk and dawn and that the amount of time up (spent walking or standing) exceeded reclining and feeding for bucks during the rut. To me this indicates that during the rut you should be able to find him eventually if he is a territorial buck.

The authors share this helpful information as well.
1. territories of bucks in broken and hilly terrain tend to be smaller than in flat areas
2. Exceptions to territorial bucks holding does in the rut occur when the range is poor. In that case does move off for greener pastures and bucks follow and abandon their territory.
3. Frequent intrusion by many young non territorial bucks can cause the territorial bucks to lose control of an area and abandon their territories. Age distribution of males can be dramatically influenced by winter kill (fewer young bucks) or hunting (fewer old bucks)and cause exceptions to territoriality.

I'd be interested to have someone like the Grimmetts weigh in on this because I might have interpreted it incorrectly or it might not jive w/ their experience.

gznokes:

That was one of the best posts I have read on MM, I learned a lot as well as a book I need to get! Thank you.

That is one of the beauties of pronghorns if you find a big buck you can likely find him again....like money in the bank.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom