Antelope Help

R

rpleish

I have been putting in for the same unit in Utah now for six years, and havent drawn. I have great luck. My problem is I went to put in this year and the hunt no longer exists. I have never hunted antelope before, so I have no idea where to put in now. If any of you have any suggestions it would be appreciated.

Just about all the antelope units have good populations, the question is how far do you want to travel? or how close to home to you want to be? are you looking for a record animal or just a represenative of the species?

Utah is not known for record book animals but there are some that will break the 80in mark..few and far between but the usual speedgoat will be in the 75-78in range with 12-14in horns.

I don't need a book animal, just somthing nice I can euro mount. I would like to stay in northern Utah.

If you want to stay in Northern Utah, have 6 bonus points and want a decent antelope... Sounds like you may be interested in hunting the Deseret CWMU.

Checked the odds page here real quick and with 6 points last year, there was a 50% chance of drawing one of the High Point Bonus permits. If things stayed the same 4 people would go to 7pts category with a few more tied with you. Not a slam dunk in drawing, but decent odds.

I imagine the quality would be good and that it would be a fun hunt. I alway see tons of antelope and some good bucks on their as we drive through to go to Bear Lake.

CS

www.VIPoptics.com

"When You Deserve The Very Best"

I'd put in for plateau. Tons and tons and tons of antelope. Great hunt!

I like Plateau also but I wouldn't burn 6 points on it because you can draw it with 2 points. I would look for another unit to justify your 6 years worth of wait. Good luck.

You want antelope? They are all over up here. Not many that would "book", but nice animals.

If you put in and draw, I will be happy to help you out. A lot
of BLM land, and a great hunt.

I helped a guy on here a few years back (can't remember his name) he took a great goat with his bow. I hope he sees this thread and posts a pic.

My dad took a decent size goat up here as well(about the size to expect). If anyone wants to post the pic, I will email it to them.

How's the quality on the Plateau unit? Are there areas where a guy could get away from the crowds and find a nice goat? I have 4 points and am considering applying for it. I have been applying for the West Desert unit, but I don't want to wait 5 more years to draw a tag.

The Plateau has been pounded for the last two years to reduce numbers and the quality has went to pot in my opinion. They have been doing a lot of trapping too so even though there are a lot of goats and it is a big unit, you will probably not find many good sized bucks like a few years ago. If you just want a good hunt it would still be a fun hunt, but not worth wasting the points if you want a decent trophy. IMO
a*r

Here is the pictures of Woody's dads buck from it looks like 2004, nice buck there.
Brian
47a2b96a7428978b.jpg

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom