Antelope field care

I

IdahoMuley

never shot one and looking into it. some one once told me you have to put it on ice right after u shoot it is that right. Muley Man!

anything you shoot should have ice put in the cavity as soon as possible. Antelopes early season usually means warmer weather, so it makes it that much more important to keep it cool.

Depends entirely upon weather conditions when you get your buck. I've seen 80 degree weather as well as snow during antelope season in Wyo. One of the biggest things is to get the hide off the buck so it cools down quickly. The bucks are likely in rut from the first week in Sept through first of Oct and their hides usually are pretty smelly. This smell can taint the meat so the quicker you get the hide off the better!

I would consider bringing along a couple large coolers and either putting block or dry ice in the bottom. It is pretty easy to cut off the front and back legs so you can fit them in the coolers. Cover the coolers with blankets, sleeping bags to keep cool for your trip home. Make sure the cooler's drain plugs are open if you have ice on the bottom so the meat doesn't turn to mush as it melts.

If you plan on mounting it try keeping blood off the cape, if it is bleeding through the mouth or nose, wipe the blood. The hair on an antelope is hollow and the blood could get into the hair staining the cape.

Yeah, You can carry a couple of bags of ice and put into the body cavity.

Another suggestion for keeping blood off is never use water. It will promote bacteria growth. Rubbing alcohol works great for cleaning off the blood, and you won't have to worry about slippage.

Also, if you intend to have it mounted, don't handle it by grabbing hair, it'll often just come out in your hand in big chunks.

hey thanks guys for the info now all i got to do is shoot a monster
Muley Man!

Dont touch the meat after you have handled the animal. The oil on the hair, horns, and cheek patches will taint the meat. Take your pictures but then use latex gloves. Use several pairs and change them often to keep from touching meat after handling the hide. Then get on ice quick. Also try not to shoot one that is running for its life. Shoot an undisturbed antelope, handle it properly, get it cool fast, and you will have some outstanding meat.

Getting an antelope cool is the key. Hide on or hide off , it doesn't matter. Get the body heat out. If temps are in the 30 degree range or so at night, an antelope will cool while hanging. I've taken goats 4 hours from home, let them hang in a cool dark place for up to 2 days while my buds hunted, and have had zero problems. Hide on. I agree with not trying to take one that has run hard. Shooting at a running antelope usually is only a waste of ammo anyway. mtmuley

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom