Antelope backstraps

DeerMadness

Long Time Member
I made some this morning-salt and pepper and fried in a pan with a little butter. They were cut thin, so they cooked quickly. My wife made waffles and link sausage. The antelope was much better than the pork link sausage. This antelope that fed off the alfalfa field is the best game I've had in my life. Yum

The meat from our central Wyo lopes this year has been excellent. The whole family enjoys antelope. Too bad I don't have another tag or two this year.

I prefer antelope backstrap over deer. I thought it was odd when people said that antelope meat was no good. They either don't know how to cook it or they just don't appreciate it. I eat it fried with butter, onions, Suzie Q season salt and a little bit of cumin. There's nothing better....my kids think so too.

Steve

Too many tags= unhappy wife

Of the three, elk, deer, and antelope, I prefer antelope. I really like antelope best if all the silver tissue and fat has been removed and it's been refrigerated in a baggy full of buttermilk for 12 to 24 hours.........and I can't stand the taste of buttermilk as a drink....nasty, but whatever it's doing to antelope meat is impressive.

DC

LAST EDITED ON Oct-31-13 AT 05:31PM (MST)[p]We found the taste depends upon the area raised and game care. This year we got 4 Sheila's in south central Wyoming where they were not run around or really feared humans with more of a grassland/forbes type food base. We layed each one down with a 150 yard shoot and had them gutted, skinned, quartered, and in the cooler within 60 minutes. Way better than deer or elk. We plan on hunting this region again as the animals were as perfect as one could find.

We like to coat the loins in kosher salt and black or pepper the hard fry in EVOO until crisp all the way around. Finish off in the oven until the a few degree below the desired temperature and let stand for 10-15 minutes. Tender and juicy...

"Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway."

My whole family prefer antelope over vension as a first choice. Most people that feel antelope has a bad taste ruined the meat in the field.
Most lopes are taken in the early hunting season while the weather is warm. I have found that to have excellant meat you must field dress and skin out as soon as possible. I have the knife working on the antelope within 5 minutes after knocking him down and field dressed and skin out with 15 minutes of shooting the lope. If it is warm I get the carcass to a cool box that I take with me on hunting trips.
while hunting lopes I have seen hunters drape their dead lope on their ATV and still be riding around with that lope a hour later looking for another shot and the lope has not been skinned out and it is 70 degrees or better. Heck I have seen some hunters that will not gut them out until hours later and they complain about bad tasting meat.
I do throw the liver away as it does have a strong sage taste, but the meat is very mild tasting compared to some other game meat.

RELH

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom