Antelope AZ unit 10 or WY unit 60?

H

highhunt

If you could have either a Red Desert (unit 60) or an AZ unit 10 Antelope which would you choose and why?

I happen to have both of these tags this year and would like advice on which one to focus the most effort in to harvest a B&C type goat. Thanks, guys!

Wow, a great year for drawing antelope tags for you! Personally, I think your unit 10 tag has a higher upside potential than your 60 tag. However, I have hunted 57 and 58 in Wyoming but never 60 so what do I know. My wife drew the 10 tag a few years ago and it was a unique hunt. Those antelope were the spookiest ones we ever hunted by far. I would recommend being proficient at long range.
Historically, 10 has produced some bruisers and I hope it does for you this year as well.
Also, if you have time, spend a little time down in the elk habitat. We saw some fantastic bulls very early in the mornings. Even saw a few wandering around out in the desert.
Good luck!

If you are a nonresident, you will likely will never see the AZ unit 10 tag again. You likely can get 60 WY again before 10 years pass. 10 AZ upper end bucks are second to none, but spooky. I would do reasonable scouting in 10, hunt till you get one or the season is over, then go to WY with what time is left.

I'm gonna go against everybody here. I know nothing about WY, but I hunt 10 every year. There are few truly big bucks in 10. The ones that are there are already being scouted by the local guides. It is an extremely over rated unit for antelope.

Unit 10 Az.

3640antelope02.jpg

4811antelope04.jpg

9804antelope05.jpg

5491antelope11.jpg

sremim - I agree with you.

I've hunted Unit 10 almost every year since 2003. It was great for big bucks between 2003 and 2008. In 2009 it dropped off for big bucks and I don't think it's recovered yet. Last season it was very difficult to find many bucks over 82. They were there, but definitely not in abundance.

I hunted Area 60 last year as well and didn't see very many antelope overall. I only saw one buck over 82 and we took that buck with our hunter - it scored about 87 B&C.

The biggest difference for me is that about half the hunters in Unit 10 will be guided while there will probably be very few guided hunters in Area 60. That alone would make the 60 hunt more inviting for a DIY hunt.

Also, depending on what you're accustomed to, you may want to slit your wrists after a few days in Unit 10 if you aren't prepared to see only a few antelope a day - because sometimes that happens. Not all the time, but sometimes.

www.PronghornGuideService.com

LAST EDITED ON Jun-25-12 AT 11:31PM (MST)[p]I have a WY unit 60 tag this year too, but I'd do nearly anything to have a AZ unit 10 tag. To have both is something I wouldn't want to decide between.

When I hear Eli say that unit 60 wasn't an easy hunt last year it has me a little concerned. I hunted NV archery pronghorn last year and spent 11 days in a blind before I found the right water hole to sit on. I could have slit my wrist by the last day, but I ended up with a decent buck.

This year having a rifle in my hand in unit 60 will be a new challenge as all of my previous success has been with my bow.

Good luck HighHunt.

Bwht4x4

TAGATTRACTER....are you kidding me?! Those bucks are unreal. I love that forward curling brute. You take them both I assume? Nice mount too.

>TAGATTRACTER....are you kidding me?! Those bucks
>are unreal. I love that
>forward curling brute. You take
>them both I assume? Nice
>mount too.

I wish !!! Both of my spoiled kids took those monsters. They think Antelope hunting is easy as neither of them hunted more than 20 minutes.

What do you mean by B/C type bucks? If you mean killing an 80+ inch antelope, I wouldn't hesitate coming to Wyoming. If you mean 82+ net, well............

I've been fortunate to be in on 8 Wyo bucks the last 4 years over 80. Biggest was right at 85, but NONE netted over 82. I live in Southern Wyoming and spend enough time in unit 60 (although I've never hunted it). Growth is looking good so far this year but we haven't had rain for a month. I've never hunted 10 so I won't give you any advice on one unit over the other. All I'll say is that a B/C type (80+) is do-able in unit 60. You might have to look at 100's of bucks before you find him, but they're there. Many of the bucks will be in the high 70's so be prepared and willing to keep looking if B/C type is truly what you're looking for. Sounds like AZ you might look over 5 bucks, but 1 could be a SLAMMER.
I've got a few Wyo bucks on the 2012 Hunt Adventure Challenge under Hunt Forever West if you want to see some of the pics.
I'll PM you if I find a big'un while I'm out in unit 60. Sounds like a great problem to have. Good luck.
Cade

www.HuntForeverWest.com

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom