Antelope Advise

FamilyMan

Very Active Member
My oldest boy turns 10 next summer and he is now old enough to take on a hunt with me. (I know that many of you have taken children who were much younger, but he wasn't ready in the past, trust me.) Most of my local hunting here in western Montana is low-odds deer and elk in thick timber sort of thing. In order to introduce more "action" into his first hunting experience I am considering an open-country antelope hunt. This would be the first time I have hunted antelope also. I would not be looking for a trophy, just a hunt with a lot of chances to see and stalk game.

So, any suggestions on where to start looking in Montana? We live in Missoula and would like something within 150 to 200 miles if that is possible. That range makes a quick one or two night hunt more doable.

I sure appreciate any ideas you might wish to share.
Mark

Unit down south of Dillion is 330 and there were a lot of Antelope in that area last time I hunted there back in 2001. Don't know the distance from Missoula to Dillon but check it out.

Brian

get a region 700 tag and hunt around south of Terry, lots of antelope and whitetails around the Powder river.

I'm not sure about Montana but Wyoming has a lot of units up near Montana that have left over tags every year. Non resident tags are around $250. Great hunt to take a youngster on. I highly recommend it!

It's always an adventure!!!
www.awholelottabull.com

familyman,
PM sent

45f82e4d30de4f30.jpg

Thanks for the PM I. And thanks to each of you for your advice. I am looking forward to the hunt already.

Mark

Like nochawk said, go with 700 in southeastern Montana. But I would hunt between Baker and Ekalaka. Lots of BLM and block management and more antelope than you can shake a stick at. A good friend of mine just hunted that area and said they were thick as ants and he killed one between 14.5 and 15 inches.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom