Antelope 57

338docj

Hey, I drew 57 antelope, I'm debating whether to pull a camp trailor or tent it. is there decent places to camp with a trailor. I' m hopin to get down there before the hunt , but just wondering what some of u that have been down there a lot think? Thanks.

I like to stay mobile during antelope season and rain would stop a trailer in its tracks. Great tag, keep moving around had the 2nd year of NR points.

Rich

Yea that does make sense to stay mobile. so did u get a good antelope? This is my first lope hunt hope I can judge em. Thanks for the replies..

You're going to see all kinds of bucks in that unit and sorting the best ones isnt easy. Keep in mind the size of the bodies on the bucks you're looking at, compare them to any mature does that may be with a buck you're trying to judge.

If you look at the record book, you'll notice that most of the B&C bucks from southcentral Wyoming are in that 14.5-15.5 range with exceptional mass and prongs.

I took some pictures of this buck in 57 a few years back. This is the type of buck that you should look over closely. It has the two things I look at first, good mass and a good prong. Its also a big bodied antelope with a big head. The one problem with this buck is that his prongs are low on the horn.

IMG_0533.JPG

Heres another buck that I took a picture of the same day. This buck was not nearly as big bodied and this picture really illustrates why you need to look at a pronghorn from more than one angle when judging. He looks good in this picture, but I think this buck would have to hurry to make 76 inches.

IMG_5029.JPG

From a different unit, but this buck is probably right near 80 net B&C...two views:

ant162.jpg

ant16.jpg

A couple pictures of a net 80 4/8 buck my wife shot a few years back...

IMG_4302.JPG

IMG_4301.JPG

Another buck that you shouldnt have any trouble wondering about:

IMG_0668.JPG

IMG_0656.JPG

This buck I'd think would be around 76-77ish. He has good length, good mass below the prong with a solid prong, just too thin above the prong.

IMG_0685.JPG

Good luck out there and keep MASS and PRONG in mind...

LAST EDITED ON Jul-27-14 AT 12:08PM (MST)[p]I did...right after I took the photos. I hate how they shine at first.

That buck just didnt have very dark horns to begin with. I also thought he would net 82 when I saw him while scouting, misjudged the length a bit.

IMG_3898.JPG

5292image.jpg

Here is a unit 57 speedy goat. He is the full meal deal. Hunted the west side of the unit and kept moving and looking until I found a good one. Started 3 days before season and was all alone.

Rich

Awesome bucks Buzz and lost,

Ever notice how the big stud bucks have such a large preorbital 'fold'? I think that looks cool and also tells of the maturity and dominance of the buck.

Unfortunately, it's the rare pronghorn taxidermist that puts the gland correctly on the mount, if at all.

LAST EDITED ON Jul-28-14 AT 07:31AM (MST)[p]Nice bucks . . . Very good points made above about big bucks and body size. Typically stud bucks will have big ol bodies, which can overshadow their horn size. Conversely, a little bodied buck can appear to have a big set of horns when, in fact, they're just mediocre. I never realized this fact until I saw a real gagger on the ground and then it became very clear. They are an animal apart from the rest . . . Good luck, great tag to have.

LAST EDITED ON Jul-28-14 AT 04:59PM (MST)[p]I drove through the unit last weekend (east side and the county road south out of Wamsutter). And if things don't change, you won't have to worry about mud at all. If anything, all you are going to have to do is find the one water source within the 15 square miles and you will see every goat around. Literally no grass to speak of and very few water holes had any water.

Don't be surprised when the G&F cuts the tags down there (Units 53/55/57) 50% next year.

ALSO: BUZZ is right on the money. I've spent years out in that unit and the bucks he showed are a very good representation of the unit.

py

Thanks for all the advice. that is a sweet mount looks awesome. If I can get my wife to pop out the youngster maybe I get out there for some scouting, she's due any day now. Anyways thanxs

We just had 2 days of rain. I was going to head out there today, but will wait another day (or 2) for it to dry out. We typically begin to get rain this time of year and on into September. Really messes you up if you are archery hunting from a blind as it fills up those dry waterholes. There was flash flooding in some areas yesterday.

Stay concerned about those rains. Heavy rain in that country can really mess with your hunt. Usually it dries out pretty quickly, though. I'm with the rest of the guys here...prongs and mass are the number 1 thing to look for on antelope here in Wyoming. I saw 2 last Monday that qualify...

Has anyone been out there last couple weeks ? Has it been rainin? How' big is the unit?

Headed out there tomorrow. By all accounts that I'm getting from there, is that it rained hard the last two days. It should have filled most of the ponds up and will hopefully get some fall growth on some of the grass.

As for how big it is.....it runs from I-80 all the way to the Colorado border which is about 55 miles and from east to west it is abou the same. Roughly 3000 square miles.

py

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom