Antelope 2013

bjn7f0

My father in law has been trying to draw an antelope tag in NM for the past 8 years and has been unsuccessful. I'm wanting to surprise him with a tag to Wyoming. He's 69 so I'm not looking for a trophy area that's going to take years worth of points. He would be happy with the trip itself but I would like to take him to an area that has decent numbers of goats so he can have a reasonable chance at harvesting a buck. Can anyone recommend decent units to consider that would require minimum points. I did buy him a point this year so he would have one point going into next years draw.

I really appreciate your help.

I'd say its too early to be asking the question. We had absolutely no moisture and no new feed this past spring/summer in most areas. The G&F is already saying if we have a nasty winter, expect some huge die offs for deer and antelope. And if we have a marginal winter to still expect a bunch of die offs. I'd want to know what the winterkill and tag allocations are like before I got to gung-ho about applying for a particular deer or goat area...

LAST EDITED ON Oct-29-12 AT 11:20AM (MST)[p]Triple BB is correct that a lot can change and you should be flexible on your unit of choice, but it is never too early to plan!

You should first decide if you are willing to pay the higher fee, then go look on the odds section of this site for areas that take right around 1 point to draw and then go for that unit if it is in the area you are looking for and it has a decent amount of public ground.

You can change your unit up until the beginning of June even though apps are due mid-March, so you can still make changes as long as you stay within the same priced tag that you applied for.

Best of luck and don't shoot the first lope you see!

PM sent as well.

LAST EDITED ON Oct-29-12 AT 11:50AM (MST)[p]lots of antelope in the state thats for sure. i would look into an area that isnt hard to draw or easy.. i cant tell you which area has big goats cause i am no pro in the antelope hunting department........

Maybe look into Eastmans MRS guide, it shows all stats for areas

I do realize it's very early to plan for 2013 but being new to the regs & application process for Wyoming, I'm just trying to start learning the ropes. I do appreciate everyones help.

First of all, you will have to wait for the numbers to come out for next year. Next decide if you can/willing to pay for a special tag. For antelope this will greatly increase your odds with 0 points.

If you buy a regular price tag here is what I would do. Pick a unit with good access/goats/low hunters with a 10-50% chance of drawing. If successful great, if not you should be able to draw a decent 2nd choice unit and if you choose earn a pp.

You should also think about location and lodging. Some units can be a pretty good drive to civilization, it really depends what type of hunt you want and what kind of lodging/town you are looking at visiting.

Not really interested in visiting any specific town. Haven't worked out the details on camping or trying to stay in a small motel somewhere close to the hunt area. But I would appreciate any info. PM if you'ld like. Thanks

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom