Another year, Another trip

BeanMan

Long Time Member
It's that time of year again. Tomorrow I'll be crawling down Warner Point into the Black Canyon of the Gunnison. It's my Favorite spot on earth. I'll be solo until my Brother and crew come in Friday. 24th annual trip. Can't wait.

WarnerPoint2006017.jpg

Cheers,

BeanMan

Dude! You posted that last year. Right? Very nice. Does Sparky get to go?

RUS

Have fun! Be careful! Can't wait to see your pics when you get back. Hope the ringtails don't invade again this year. LOL

RUS,

It's an old picture, It's been posted more than twice. Since it is in a National Park the Sparkmaster has to stay home. He's camped out on top of my gear right now thinking he's going.

Jenn,

The Ringtails come every night, hopefully we'll get some more pictures. I didn't even wake up for last years raids.
KOATIMUNDI_1-1.jpg

Fred

Fred, don't forget anything! I sure would hate to get to the river and have to go back to the truck for toilet paper or my fishing pole!

Eel

Have a great trip Fred - that is some rough country for darn sure!

UTROY
Proverbs 21:19 (why I hunt!)

It was another memorable trip. I ditched the spinning gear and went cold turkey to fly fishing. I got my butt handed to me. Trying to nymph in a big river wasn't a good time to learn. The wind didn't help things. I only caught a few while my Brother and Terry were hauling them in. I also have to come to grip with the fact that I need to get bifocals, Just can't see those size 22 flies and had a hard time tieing all the various knots required for fly fishing. The ringtails were silent this year, at least we didn't see them.

Sunset from camp
bLACKcANYON08016.jpg

From the bottom looking up the start of the Warner Point Trail, you can see about half of the 2800' foot climb in three miles
bLACKcANYON08022.jpg

Hiking out
bLACKcANYON08023.jpg

From the top of Warner Point: SOB Draw on the North Rim, a popular route into the BC, with the West Elk Wilderness in the background.
bLACKcANYON08029.jpg

Fun was had by all,

BeanMan

BeanMan, Sounds like a great trip and i know what you mean about glasses. i was out on our nearby lake one evening this spring in a float tube when a hex hatch came off and big trout were boiling all around me. For some reason, that night my eyes were a tad blurry and i couldn't see to even tie a big extended body hex dry on. Talk about near panic...Sucked!!

Did you find any drop horns? I haven't hunted below Gunnison for many years but the last couple times i did, we found dozens of huge muley drops on the benches below the hiway. We were hunting bucks not drops. We'd bring out a few of the best each day and by the end of the hunt we had quite a pile but in those days, no big deal. Have been kinda wondering with all the interest in drops, if a guy could still find em there.

Joey

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom