Another spotting scope question

U

Utahminer

I just joined this forum and have been really impressed. I have looked at a bunch of other forums and MM has alot more info when it comes to optics.

Anyway, Here is my question. What do you guys think for a all around spotting scope? I will be packing it all days on some instances and pulling it from behind the seat of the truck on others, so weight is some what of an issue. The big three are out of my budget so I have been thinking about Nikon. I have a pair of their monarch ATBs (10x42)and have been impressed. So, what do you guys think about choosing between

Nikon Fieldscope III 20-60x60
or
Nikon Fieldscope ED 50 (13-30)
(I can't find a 40x eye piece for less than about 200). I called Cameraland and Niel said that Nikon quit making the 40x.

I was set on the ED50 until I found out about the 40x eyepiece being discontinued. Now I wonder if it wouldn't be better to trade a little bit of weight (20oz) for higher magnification and light. I looked at a Fieldscope III at Sportsmans today, and liked it, but i couldn't find a place with a ed 50 in SLC. In different places I can pick the two up for roughly the same price. I usually spend a lot of time hiking when I'm out, but I haven't packed a scope, so is 2+ lbs too much.

Thanks for reading through my rambeling and for your opinions.

If you are going to have a spotting scope with a 60mm objective I'd stick with a 30x or at the most a variable with a top end at 40 to 45x... Less magnifacation if you get a 50mm. 30x will give you the best clarity and all around best use. I have a MINOX 62ED Angled that is a bright, clear and easy to carry spotting scope. Talk to Doug at Cameraland... they have some great deals on "Demo" units of all makes. NJS

leupold all the way buddy. Its lightweight compact and every bit as good as the rest.

Im a nikon fan but sounds like your willing to buy a little more than the prostaff. if your looking for small and compact with great features, look at the Pentax PF65-ED. for under a $1000 it has no equal imo

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Great Deals at Camera Land

Camera Land - Optics, Cameras, & More

Camera Land - The Place to Buy Optics

Camera Land - The Place to Buy Optics
Back
Top Bottom