Another Gun, what caliber?

Trix4me

Very Active Member
I'm going to have a gun built. Looking for advice on what caliber. (I don't really need another one according to common logic, and my wife) I already have: 22-250, 223, 270win, 7X57, 7mm rem mag, 30-30, 30-06, and a 338min mag. Give me your opinion and your reasoning. Thanks.

I suggest a 17 HMR, it's a fun gun, you can watch your target get hit because of the lack of recoil. It's cheap to shoot, and it still does a lot of damage for the size. Also, the closest thing you have to that is a 223, and there's quite a difference between the two.

Just my opinion, good luck with whatever you choose.

Jason

What do you want to hunt with it? I think you need to answer that before you can pick a best caliber. Heck, I don't see a .375, .416 or .458, but then we don't know if you want to hunt the type of game that requires those calibers.

How is the 45-70 to shoot? I've been told that they are very accurate, but never heard anything else about them. Isn't there factory ammo available? If I'm hijacking the thread, you might PM me. Thanks,
JL

---------------------------------------------------------------
That's more of a "Hey I'm a badger but I really like ponies and rainbows too" smile. - mtnmayhem

+1 on the .45-70, it is another great choice. Definitely fun to shoot, kicks like a jackass, you can feel the power behind it. Packs a serious punch, and it's available in factory loads. For a good reference, watch Quigley Down Under. I'm 95% sure that's the round he uses in that movie.

Jason

I noticed you don't have a quarter bore in your arsenal. How about a .257 Roberts or a 25-06?

Bean

The Great thing about the 45-70, is that you can get loaded ammo in several differnt loads from cowboy action loads to +P buffalo bore loads that will rock your world. If you reload, the range is huge in what you can do with it. I love mine!

LAST EDITED ON Sep-17-09 AT 02:48PM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Sep-17-09 AT 01:10?PM (MST)

I dont see any shotguns on the list ? Maybe you need to do a little bird hunting. Get a little more shooting in then big game hunting.
What about a hunting pistol or black powder gun ?
I love to help others spend there money.
I just had a 300 Tejas built . Its built off a 404 jeffery case or now much easier a 300 rum case with the shoulder moved up. It has a 6.5 x 20 leupold on it and so soon to have a new turret out to 1000 yards.

what about a 50. BMG? Any good gun collection needs one. If your not just looking for a variety then I would agree with the .17 hmr they are alot of fun to shoot. Either one of these guns would make a good project, one a little more expensive than the other...

try a .17 remington fireball it is a shortened 223 case with a .17 dia bullet at 4000 f.p.s.

My next gun is a 6.5x47 Lapua. I have a 300 Rum, 1200 yard gun. Want another 1000 yard gun, but one I can shoot all day and get a bunch of shots out of the brass.

I thought that my stir up the pot a little talking about 1000 yard guns ? But a true 1000 yard guns are built not bought.

Thanks for the reply. As far as shotguns go I've got a 12 dbl, a 16, 2 20's and a 410. My favorite is the model 12 20 Ga. I have a few handguns that I rarely shoot, including a TC Contender w/ several barrels. I like the 45 colt/410. I've thought about a 45-70 23' carbine barrel for the Contender.(i don't know if i'm man enough for that one, however)

Good thought. I haven't considered the 1000 yrdrs. I am now. What about the Lazeroni's? pro or con ?

to shoot out to 600 yards i like my 6mmbr, fun to shoot, no recoil and accurate. out to a 1000 i would do a 6.5x284 or a 284 winchester or a 7mmwsm. at a 1000 i would shoot what the target shooters are using. check out 6mmbr.com guns of the week. all guns are fun...ce61

375 H&H and go to Africa

CopyofSedona1-2509034.jpg

LAST EDITED ON Sep-17-09 AT 09:11PM (MST)[p]Lazeroni's are awesome ! But you pay alot for the name ,but good stuff. There is also the 30/378, 300 rum,7mm stw. Some target guys trust the old 308. But they dont hunt with them generally.
Find a gun smith that builds guns for 1000 yard competitions and trust him with what works .How much do you want to spend ? What area are you in Utah ?
Wasatch Precision Arms built my gun and I love it !!! Brad Stair is the gun smith there and can help you with what ever you want. (801 394-0331) or look them up on the web

You have a 338win so skip the 375, too much overlap, even though that's a great gun and go one step up to the 416's or 458 lott. You can shoot 'em cheap if you reload. Just cast wheelweights and get a lubrisizer. Fun rabbit plinking.

Plenty to choose from 416rem, 416rigby, 416ruger, or even go with the 404 jeffrey. With the lott you can shoot 458win mag as well.

But with what you have you are covered except for the big-bores. They are addicting.

I have many of the same calibers as you do, but I seem to always grab my 243 browning lever action with open sights when ever I just want to go shoot. What ever you decide, it is always nice to get a new gun! Who cares if you need it!!!

i see you have a .223. my question is it an ar15 platform or bolt gun. i've had a blast with my ar and think everyone ought to have at least one. i also have the 22-250,.243,25.06,and .257 bob. i'll tell you what though, whenever i head out calling yotes or shootin bunnies or praire dogs and stuff i always end up grabbin the .204. its accurate as heck and just plain fun to shoot.

Neither, break action (T/C contender carbine, scoped) makes a mess out of a Pdog. (The legal kind) I also have a couple .22 for plinking.

Agreed, but he does put in his original post that he is going to have a gun built. I wouldn't get a stock caliber, when you can get some of the benefits of todays wildcats. IMO.

I'm pretty fond of my Daisy Red Rider Lever action in B.B. caliber. Me and Ol'Red have killed many a sparrow together. HeHe. }>

If your wife already figures you have enough guns, ask her if she has enough shoes. Last time I checked my closet, there were more of my wife's shoes in there than my guns.

About the only space I see in there -- unless you are planning to go to Africa where some of the countries require a minimum bore of .400" -- is between the 223 and the 270. You could go for a 240 Weatherby, .243 Winchester, 6 mm Remington, .257 Roberts, .25-06. If I were you, I would go with either the 6 mm Remington or the .25-06. The .25-06 is a great deer and antelope cartridge. The 6 mm Remington is a great antelope and deer cartridge, but may be arguably slightly light for mule deer at long range? You may have to reload your 6 mm cartridges, as I would guess this ammo is not commonly available based on the fact that few if any rifles are currently manufactured in this cartridge. I might go for the 6 mm Remington in a 26" medium weight barrel. You can use the .270 for deer hunting and the 6 mm for Pronghorn hunting. Of course, your .30-06 can be used for most everything you can hunt in the lower 48. If you want to hunt grizzlies or brown bear, your .338 Winchester magnum has you covered. Thus, all those other rifles can only be justified as special purpose, niche rifles. Hence, the idea of a pronghorn niche rifle does not seem out of place.

Try the 358 Winchester. Reasons?
Easy on powder, brass easy to size out of 308, carries a ton of energy past 250 yds, kick..not bad, short round easy to chamber, just right for short to mid range deer and elk. I have been playing with one I bought all summer. Its great! I put my 300 mag in storage.

You have a pretty nice arsenal there. I'd add a .243 to that collection.
-Raptor

>For a good reference,
>watch Quigley Down Under.
>I'm 95% sure that's the
>round he uses in that
>movie.
>
>Jason

Actually, the round used in Quigley Down Under is a 45/110. A close relative to the 45/70, but has a much greater powder capacity.

And the 45/70, if using factory loads, will kick less than ANY 300 Magnum. Feels more like a hard push than a sharp crack.

So, yes, my vote goes to the 45/70.

If you go to the dark continent, you need a .470 NE double rifle. Nothing less and nothing more. Cabelas has a beautiful William Evans sitting in the gun room right now.

LAST EDITED ON Sep-29-09 AT 05:59PM (MST)[p]do yourself a favor and buy a gun that you will enjoy shooting and not one that will rattle the teeth outta your head.

It has been said that the 7mm is tough to beat and there is a lot of truth behind that. All things considered it is tough to beat balistically, but it has been matched almost identically with the 6.5x284 and with a lot less recoil.

Do a search on the 6.5X284. You will have a hard time finding any bad press on this cartridge. The balistics are unreal and the recoil is light. The 1000 yard F class shooters are going nuts over this cartridge and winning plenty of fake wood trophies to prove it's salt. Hunters are starting to snatch these things up left and right. I had one built and I'm currently getting 1/4 inch groups at 200 yards. Heck, I've never got that good a groups at 100 yards.It's probably not a gun you'd take to Alaska or Africa, but it will handle up to elk size game.

Mike

Have really enjoyed all the opinions voiced. I haven't made a decision. Hunting the past week, again starting Saturday, then following my father, brother and nephew around the Books starting on the 17th. I probably will wait until all the fun is over before deciding. I was leaning toward the 30-378 but haven't done anything final.

Marlin 444p it is a great any game gun. big and slow but it will knock anything down that I am man enough to point it at.

My buddy says that you dont even have to hit what you are shooting at, just get it close and the bullet goin by will such all the oxygen out of it and it will go down anyway.:)

I have a 444 marlin on the marlin 444p chasis it is the best big bore gun that I own.

As far as recoil goes, if a rifle is built right it doesn't have to kick !
I have a video of my 15 year old daughter 100 pounds shooting my 300 tejas. Not a problem .The way its ported and put togther its a sweet shooter.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom