Another, general mountain goat question

ToddT

I pulled a Beaver, Utah, Mountain Goat tag for nannies. There is normally so much good information here that I have to ask, is there anything that I may need to know before the hunt. Off the top of my head I am most curious about shot placement - I plan to hunt with a bow and don't want a wounded goat traipsing along a cliffside, only to fall and be ruined. Any particular hint that someone thinks will be helpful on this hunt will be appreciated.

One more thing,,,,, this tag is good until about the third week in October. I know for hair length the later the better, but am curious, in this unit could I wait until the last five days of the season without fear of weather moving in, or should I allow more time for cushion - just in case? Also, does hair length peak by a certain date, or does it simply continue to grow until shedding begins in spring?

Todd, I went for hair last year and ran into terrible weather in October and November up here in MT.....wasnt the only reason I got skunked, but definitely contributed some.

Shot placement isn't any different than with a deer. Put it in the lungs/heart. There is still a REALLY good chance they'll go off a cliff, especially if they are on a cliff when you shoot them.

Ernie

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom