Another B zone question

Califelkslayer

Long Time Member
My wife and I each have a B zone tag, maybe 2 each if our X zone doesn't come through. Anyways since we struck out in every other state I want to take her on a "High Country" hunt this year. So I was thinking the horses in the Alps. I've never done this hunt before so I'm looking for advice. She'll be happy with any buck but i would like to get her into some country that isn't crowded.

Any advice would be appreciated.

There is a TON of great country in the Alps and you should be able to find some loneliness and a few bucks to kill.

I have only hunted in there a few times around the Cecilville area and Forks of the Salmon area.

Bill

Look out Forkie, FTW is watching us!

I had planned a pack trip into the Rubys in August. Just to relax, glass bucks and get the horses in shape. I changed my mind, we're gonna do the Alps. Hopefully this will give me some ideas.

Thanks for the replies and PMs.

There ya go, I have hunted in from 5 dollar camp towards Mary Blaine Meadows but I think it gets a lot of pressure early in the season so if a guy scouts there you should know that there will be camps of hunters in there on the opener, and they will often mistakenly camp on top of the deer thereby running them out for a while.

Bill

I was planning on hunting the first 4-5 days because I understood a little cold snap and the deer would bail for lower ground??? Is this true because I have the entire month of October off and nothing planned huntin wise until the second Saturday (Nevada chukar opener)

Although cold weather will move the deer in the Alps it has been my experience that does not happen till a bit later. Also there is a lot of terrain types inside the wilderness and cold may move them into a certain area you may be hunting. More often than not in my Experience the weather we are fighting in Sept. in that area is HEAT. So I would opt for less hunters a little later in the season unless you scout and find a good one and think you can be alone on him on the opener.

JMHO

Bill

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

California Guides & Outfitters

Western Wildlife Adventures

Offering some fine Blacktail Deer hunting, Wild Pig hunts, Turkey hunts and Waterfowl hunts.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer the top private land hunts in all of California, for blacktail deer, elk, pigs, bison and turkeys.

G & J Outdoors

Offering Tule elk hunts for bulls and cows on a 17,000 acre Ranch in Laytonville, CA with 100% success.

Back
Top Bottom