Another avalanche fatality

BeanMan

Long Time Member
Colorado racked up it's 5th avalanche fatality yesterday near Telluride. The victim had a beacon, an avalung, and the new inflatable bag system which was shredded by the slide. He had head trauma. I'm not trying to be crass but wish to remind all backcountry users that 30% of avalanche fatalities don't suffocate and that posession of a beacon and other self rescue tools don't mean you will survive.

http://www.watchnewspapers.com/view...-Snowboarder-in-Contention?instance=top_story

Wow - between Utah and Colorado this year alone, avalanches have killed more people than sharks have in the past few! (At least it seems like it - I have no actual statistics to back that up.) Just is dangerous in places out there.

Good advise though BeanMan - none of that stuff does you any good if 60 tons of snow send you careening down a mountain at 90 mph.

Burnin' up don't know just how far that I can go, soon be home only just 4 downs to go, I can make it I know I can! You broke the boy in me but you won't break the man! I can see a new horizon blazin' on the Mile High. I'll be where the eagle's flyin' higher and higher! Gonna be your man in motion, all I need's my Broncos team take me where my future's lyin' Tim Tebow's Fire! GO BRONCOS!

HOOK 'EM!

Since I am frequently asked about my religion on this site and others, I have created a profile that explains my beliefs. If you are interested in finding out more about my faith, please visit the link below:

http://mormon.org/me/6RNQ/

Sad stuff no doubt.

You guys will have to go some to catch up with California and the Sierra Mountains. Last year we had 12 people die from falls while HIKING the Mt Whitney area.....these are not climbers, but hikers, who left their common sense home.

"Fathom the hypocracy of a Government that requires every citizen to prove that they are insured.....but not everyone must prove that they are a citizen"

Beanman

I think back country users are becoming more an more aware each year. The problem with that, that I see is it gives many a false sense of security. Or gives them the attitude of "I went to an avy class, so I know what I'm doing" The best policy is when the risk is there to just stay off the hills. Almost all avalanche fatalities are avoidable.

Hey - it was just a snowboarder . . .

Avvi gear won't do you any favors riding solo, except for rescuers to find you body.

+1

>Beanman
>
>I think back country users are
>becoming more an more aware
>each year. The problem
>with that, that I see
>is it gives many a
>false sense of security.
>Or gives them the attitude
>of "I went to an
>avy class, so I know