annaul sportsman dinner

Aceman

We had our annual sportsman dinner last night. Officers for this year were elected and activities and goals for 2015 were discussed. The Sportsman club has been in existence for several years and has a first class shooting range and five stand operation. We have a strong youth hunting population here but I was disappointed to see the crowd in attendance consisted of members mostly over the age of 60. The youth take advantage of the range but apparently has little interest in being part of the leadership. Is this something unique to our area or do other sportsman club experience the same.

Aceman

Younger folks are programmed to follow, not lead. From the time they can walk we teach them to "stay in your place". As they grow older, we want them to transition and become leaders, but for 30 years they have been used to following, so it takes time and effort to reprogram what we'd like and expect from them. Especially if they think they're going to have to "tell an older member of the club to: "follow me, I'm your leader", even is you want them to do that. It's unnatural.

Maybe, asking some of the young natural leaders within your club could be asked by the "old leadership" to take over a "important but not so difficult assignment for the dinner". They would believe that you want them there, that you have trust in them to do something that needs to be done, that you want them to lead. As they mature and you give them more responsibility, they will grow more comfortable leading the club rather than just participating in the shooting activities.

It take's time, patience, trust and desire to pass the torch to the next generation, especially when they usually have a tendency to lead differently that the last group of guys that lead the club, but they'll do it, if they know you want them to and if we give them enough opportunity and then our support, to make the transition.

They sure won't do it if we continue to do everything for them, particularly if they believe you don't trust or want their leadership.

Course, I have no reason to believe I'm right either but I've tried to help the transition in groups I've belong to as well. I can't say that I've been very successful either but I keep trying. It's worth the effort, for their future and the future of your organization.

DC

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom