Angled -vs- Straight spotter

T

Toad23

I need some opinions on angled vs straight spotting scopes. I know this is not a new topic. But I want to know your opinions on the pro's and con's of each type. Seems to me that angled scopes would be great if looking uphill, how well do they work for sitting on top of a ridge and looking down into the bottom of canyons.

Also for those of you that have the Swarovski 65 angled, do any of you have the badlands 2200 pack and will the angled scope fit in that pack (in the scope pocket)?

I prefer angled as I find them easier on my neck, easier to share with someone, you can use a lower (lighter) tripod, and they're actually easier to use on a window mount once you learn to rotate the scope body. It does take some getting used to to locate animals, but if you can tie your own shoes, you'll be okay.

I had a 2200 for all of about six hours and it went back to Cabela's for the exact reason that my Zeiss 65mm wouldn't fit in the pocket designed for a spotter, and the Zeiss is physically smaller than the Swarovski! Not sure why the 2200 gets such rave reviews as there's far better packs on the market. King Outdoors has a great pack on sale for $99.99 right now that, IMHO, absolutely smokes the 2200!

After much consideration about this very subject, I purchased an angled spotter and am very happy with it. I personally did not have any problems what so ever with locating game with it. When looking downhill just rotate the eyepiece.
Best thing you can do is spend a little time at a retailer with both to see what feels best for you. I did and found the neck strain with the straight to be a problem. I also think it is easier to share a view with someone.

I happen to have a Badlands 2200 and an angled Swaro spotter. The angled spotter still fits into the scope slot just fine. Once you get used to the angled spotters they are the only way to go.

I have the angled swarovski. One thing that I didn't realize until I bought it, is that when looking off a window mount to a truck you have got to get your self really high up to look down onto the eye peice. Yes I know you can rotate the scope so that the angle is different but I prefer to look down onto it as much as possible. But other than that hands down I think the angled is a much more comfortable scope especially when viewing for long periods of time.

Thanks for the input, seems like those folks who own an angled think it's the way to go. Appreciate your input.

I always used a straight spotting scope. This year I upgraded to a Swarvorski angled after all my friends told me angled was the way to go and after the first day of getting used to it I made the right move! Angled all the way....

But then again just my 2 cents.

I absolutely agree, angled, angled, angled. Don't think twice about it, just do it.

I've used both over the years and have ended up using an angled scope almost exclusively.

The main argument against the angled scope is target acquisition. It is true angled scopes are less instinctive when looking for an object. However, with some practice I don't notice anymore.

The big upside to the angled scope for me is less fatigue on the neck muscles, especially when glassing uphill. I no longer have the headaches and neck pain that frequented my use of a straight scope. The ability to rotate the scope around and position the eye piece is a big help.

+1 on angled. It doesn't take long and the target aquisition through an angled eyepiece is easy.

?Here?s to the hero's that Git-R-Done!!?

Just to be different. I prefer straight! I have owned both over the years. But I am probably less of a true "glasser" than most of these guys.

I have a stay on case on my swarovski angled 80 mm scope and it fits in the badlands 2200 pocket. Little snug, but it fits. Oh, and angled is definately the way to go.

Sounds like you guys all echo my exact theories. I use Swaro optics, and I have the angled 80mm. I love it! Less neck fatigue, smaller tripod means less weight. ONLY thing I dont like it using it out of my truck window mount! I just spin it sideways....its mind over matter. Good luck!

How about the DCA camera adapter? I'm thinking it would be easier with the straight body? Angled wouldn't work with camera attached on truck window?

I have the DCA with the 80 Angled and love it. It works just fine. And as for using it off of a window mount, my opinion is that it is much easier and alot more range from front of truck to back (with being able to rotate the body anyway).

I personally own a straight scope and have had the opportunity to use a angled at times. I like them both!! My best friend and avid Dall sheep hunter from Alaska pointed something out about the angled eye piece scope that i never would of thought of. He said he didn't like the angled scope because you couldn't hide behind when judging sheep at close distances without having to get above the scope. Where as the straight you could lay it on a rock and keep your head hidden from the animals. Just thought I would throw that out there??

Actually, if your angled scope rotates on its mount you can move the eyepiece down or to the side and look "around" objects. I've read accounts of hunters setting up behind trees and rocks with nothing but their angled scopes protruding beyond. Never had the need to do it myself, but it is an option with an angled scope.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Great Deals at Camera Land

Camera Land - Optics, Cameras, & More

Camera Land - The Place to Buy Optics

Camera Land - The Place to Buy Optics
Back
Top Bottom