Angle of butt of stock to rifle barrel

DonVathome

Very Active Member
What is the ideal angle of the butt of the stock (same as the recoil pad) relative the barrel of the rifle?

If it matters this is for a 30-06, remingtom 7600 pump.

I had to trim the stock to put a recoil pad on (it did not come with one) and I cut it slightly out of square so I want to adjust it before I secure the new pad.

Also if it matters I would rather have the angle set to reduce fealt recoil vs. quicker recovery after a shot.

Thanks!

Most try to set it perpendicular to the comb of the stock, or that part of the top extending past the raised cheekpiece. I think that is mainly for asthetics as recoil pads are sticky enough sliding off the shoulder is not a problem. I'm sure anywhere between that and perpendicular to the bore would be fine for function.

Good advice EF.

The rule of thumb is shape it to fit YOU.

Generally "shorter in the heal and longer in the toe" is best for a quick pointing hunting rifle. This shape tends to recoil into your face a bit more but it's the angle similar to a quick pointing bird shotgun.

For a daily shooter or bench rest rifle build it "longer in the heal and shorter in the toe" which aids in keeping the rifle in place on the shoulder with a delicate hold but like EF said, the sticky pads will hold it on your shoulder anyway.

Confused?

Zeke

I understand I was hoping the recoil pad would "adjust" slightly, I did not want to start sanding and screw it up worse!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom