Ammo: Factory vs. Hand loads

Feleno

Long Time Member
Which do you prefer or do? I have 2 buddies that both hand load for mostly different reasons. One says his hand loads are more accurate than factory, thats his main reason. The other guy shoots a lot and says its a money thing, but also likes the accuracy. The both are gun nuts and like to tinker. Me, never shot a hand load in my life and don't plan on starting. We shoot together several times a year and the difference between their accuracy and mine is minimal at best. If you shoot a lot i suppose cost comes in to play but factory ammo is so cheap... or at least it was up until a year ago.

Factory loads are hard to beat. Usually, any increase in accuracy come from fine tuning to something a particular gun likes. This is often the case in both pistol and rifle shooting.

I do a lot of hand loading for .45 ACP mainly because you can load your own at a significant discount from buying a box. If you shoot a lot, the cost/benefit pay off does not take long. In addition, it can actually be a fun past time and good excuse to elude the wife when she is nagging ya.
4abc76ff29b26fc1.jpg

I hand load and I think it is better ammo but is it really necessary? I don't do it because of cost, only because I want the most accurate ammo I can get.

I am an accuracy freak and I can't help it. I don't know why I think I need to wring every little bit of accuracy I can out of my rifles that I hunt with & thats all they are used for is hunting. And ironically I do more bow hunting than gun hunting.

I load right now for 6.8mm Rem, 243 win, 270 win, & 7mm RUM.

I am so anal its ridiculous with my brass preparation. I take lots of steps most other reloaders don't and it takes lots of time, and its time I don't really have to spend on reloads but I can't stand to just resize, reprime, dump powder, seat bullet and go. If I'm going to do it I think I need to go all out. But WHY????? Theres only one degree of dead and it don't matter if you shoot a 1/2" group or a 6" group, both will kill deer/elk just as dead!

But, it is fun to try to shoot tiny little holes and its always great to out shoot your hunting buddies!

I feel better now :) thanks Feleno!

A lot of people just like to reload, as well as tinker looking for perfection. I don't reload because I don't have time or a place I can keep my kids out of. Factory ammo works great for me and I don't have guns like the ultra mags, short mags, specialty loads like weatherby or lapua.

NO GUTS, NO STORY!!

4b1db2ac644136c4.jpg

I recently got into hand loading, I do Enjoy it but I really don't see much of a benefit from it. I borrow the equipment from my father in law, I don't think it would be worth making the initial investment. It would take me years of shooting to get the money out of the investment. I am happy with the accuracy I get from factory loads.

Rub some dirt on it, ya sissy!

I reload alot and for me it is a cost deal mostly. I got spoiled in the military shooting 100+ rounds a week, so I have comtinued more or less. real anal about my cases and bullets, all have to be weighted and sorted in there own group, necks trimed and turned, exact seating depth, ect ect...

I shoot more pistol than rifle rounds so cost is a big factor.

On the other hand...I also make my own arrows for bowhunting, and that is because I like to choose my own color fletching and nocks. and they are sorted also by weight as well as the broadheads. they may guarantee the straightness of there shafts BUT not the weight and I have found that shafts as well as broadheads may vary as much as 10gr in the same half dozen.

Maybe I reload because Im anal???

I shoot official factory Weatherby rounds out of my Mark V's, i couldn't duplicate or better by hand loads than what i was getting out of them.

http://i764.photobucket.com/albums/xx290/slamdunk_04/E1x1BWINV1-2.jpg[/IMG]

I recently started handloading and have really come to enjoy it. I like tinkering with different powders and bullets. I also reload because it does save me money on 257wby ans 30-378wby. I also like to be able to load the type and grain of bullet I want. Some factory ammo may not come in the bulley type or weight you want. Also I've found handloading can fine tune a rifle's group. That doesn't mean a deer will know the difference.I will and that builds confidence in making the shot at further distances!

If your time is worth anything then the cost of reloading will not pay for itself. I do handload, but mostly for the guns I shoot quite a bit. I've been known to buy factory loads for the 30-06 or 300 Mag, because I don't use them that much as I hunt most of my big game with primitive weapons.
If you like something relaxing to do, shoot alot and money is tight then reloading might be something fun to do.

LAST EDITED ON Feb-10-10 AT 06:03PM (MST)[p]I've reloaded thousands of shotgun shells (because of the cost savings) but never reloaded rifle or pistol.

Back in the "old days" a lot of guys reloaded rifle because of the cost savings and because premium bullets were mostly only available to handloaders. With the availability of factory ammo with a wide variety of bullets and highly accurate loading proceedures, rolling your own is not as attractive as it used to be.

It's still a fun hobby and you can customize your own ammo to suit your individual rifle. Something factory ammo will never be able to do.

Also if you do a lot of shooting, eventually you accumulate a ton of empty brass that beckons to be reloaded.:) (I don't shoot that much)

Eel

Know guns, know peace, know safety. No guns, no peace, no safety.

I believe the accuracy factor is much less of an advantage than it used to be since the quality AND variety of cartridges/bullets now available has improved so much in recent years.

Used to be factory ammo choices were limited to standard stuff like Remington Core-Lokt,Winchester Powerpoint,and a couple of others. That was it.

Now the sky's the limit.Ammo like Federal Premium,Hornady, Nosler Custom,Black Hills,Remington Safari Grade,etc.,etc.,etc. is quality stuff made to tight specs and with a HUGE choice of bullet options. In some cases (like the Marlin .338 Express) the performance of the factory ammo cannot even be approached by handloading.So much less need to handload now for performances' sake.

Cost will certainly justify it and it pays for itself quickly if you shoot alot(if you don't count your own time as a cost),but not if you're like me and shoot mostly to gain proficency for hunting and not just for fun.

But many enjoy doing it and love the challenge of building their own stuff to try and improve performance.I don't have the time right now but hope to get into it myself one day.

I HAND LOADED FOR 26 YEARS....AND FINALLY GAVE IT UP. THE FACTORY LOADS ARE REALLY GOOD STUFF. MY TIME IS VALUABLE I MAKE THE MOST OUT OF IT, IF YOU SHOOT A LOT YOU MIGHT WANT TO HAND LOAD........YD.

Factory loads may be great, but not every rifle is going to shoot lights out with mass produced ammo. Also, many bullet/ cartridge combos can only be had by handloading. I agree, it is sometimes a lot of work. I disagree that the initial cash outlay will never be recovered. I was bit by the accuracy bug, and if my rifles, all of them, don't produce 1/2 MOA, off to the range with handloads I go. mtmuley

In some cases (like the Marlin .338 Express)
>the performance of the factory
>ammo cannot even be approached
>by handloading.So much less need
>to handload now for performances'
>sake.

Thats a bold statement to make from a guy thats never realoded. As for me I own guns that have never seen factory ammo, and never will. Why pay more money for less accurate bullets. Every gun is differnt, even the slightest adjustment of the overall cartridge length can make a ton of differnce.

Most of my rifles have never seen a factory load. I've been handloading for over 40 years, after my father let me take his 30-06 and 100 shells loaded up with 125 grain bullets and said "Shoot it all you want, just reload more when you need them. I've got all the bullets, powder and primers you'll need." The rabbits never knew what hit them.
Like Mtmuley said it takes some work to work up a load that will put all your bullets into a tiny little group, but there is satisfaction knowing you did it yourself and you know where that bullet is going when you squeeze the trigger.
I can't imagine buying Weatherby shells at 80-120 bucks a box, I can handload 5-10 boxes of shells for that kind of money. Wouldn't take long to pay for reloading equipment at that rate.

I've never reloaded! Always wished that I had......but....
I've shot several different loads thru my big guns and have settled on one for each!

Remington 700 BLD (high school Grad. Present).264 win. mag. 24"
Have taken all three major species of our deer, plus elk and speed goats. ( can't count the other critters), Very efficiently, I might add.

Winchester 70 Classic .338 win. mag. (30th wedding present) 26" with Boss. Gettin older so I've only killed elk, mulies and whitetails with it, (+ a few critters that happen to be about!)

The .264 loves Remington 140 gr. CoreLocks.
The .338 loves Federal Premium 210 Nosler Partions

I am looking at some other wildcatters that produce the same ammo with Barnes TSX bullets. I've talked with several hunters that absolutely swear buy the copper bullets!

.....but then again, I'm just a guy that hunts and doesn't worry too much about all the "today stuff"! Just worry about keepin the wind in my face.

I started reloading in the 60s. Back then, it was for cost and accuracy...both were significant.

Today, factory loads are much improved with respect to accuracy and the savings is less. However, it is enjoyable and gives me and my small son something to do while watching Dodger baseball games all summer.

I reload for several calibers...both long guns and hand guns.

I have a couple of Mark Vs. One only "likes" factory ammo (accuracy wise). That one has the old very thin-contour barrel. I am able to exceed factory specs on the newer (heavier-contoured barrel) Accumark by about 300 fps.

SO.....I do it for the accuracy, performance, savings (my stuff is paid for) and 'cause it's enjoyable. (Emphasis on the enjoyable part.)

Within the shadows, go quietly.

For average Joe who shoots a few times a year and hunts a bit, reloading is not cost effective.

If you shoot a lot of anything centerfire or you get addicted to trying to hurl 200 grain projectiles a thousand to fifteen hundred yards down range and actually hit something you will want to reload

I just shoot a 300 win mag and i refuse to calculate what each round costs me (without factoring in the couple thousand dollars worth of reloading gear in my garage)

I can't imagine what those boys shooting the .338 Lapua's and such beasts are hurling down range on a fifty round afternoon. Well actually I can imagine, but again I choose not to!

Time wise: Well it's not so bad, we have a foot of snow here, i'm not traveling this week. So i spend a couple afternoon's/ evenings out in the heated garage and crank out a couple hundred rounds of high quality ammunition.

I find the reloading process helps me forget about the other crazy crap going on in the daily grind, due to the fact that you flat out have to concentrate on what you are doing.

At least I do, i have a morbid fear of making a big boo boo!

Seeing as how that little explosive device i am igniting is only a couple inches away from my skull.

I am starting to work up a thousand rounds of 22-250 ammo, thinking a Pdog hunt might be on the books this summer.

my .02 worth!

thanks for the insite fellas, thats good info. I have recently acquired a Weatherby 30-378 and in one session I went through 2 boxes of shells. At $110 a box its not a gun you want to take out to the range to to blow off some rounds for fun. I can get ammo cheap enough for the other calibers but i could see where a guy would want to reload for something like the 30-378. If I had more time to tinker and have fun with reloading, which many of you like to do, I'd probably get some reloading equipment.

Epointer-

Sure no intent to offend-I just read a magazine article recently that said that the powder used in the .338 Marlin Express cartridge was proprietary to the factory and its performance could not be equaled by handloading.That's all I know on the subject so I could sure be wrong....

Feleno
If you weren't on the computer all day photoshopping guys faces on to chicks bodies you would have all the time in the world to do some reloading. lol

many factory loads are loaded with blended powders the public cannot buy, the short mags for instance. I have yet to see a handload that comes close to factory specs in those loads. I am a handloader and have been for 50 years, most of the hand loaders I know really have not a clue of what they are doing. They follow the manuals just fine but that is just a start.
Carl

LAST EDITED ON Feb-12-10 AT 06:37AM (MST)[p]Anyone who thinks that you can buy ammo that will be the best accuracy for your gun is crazy. There are some factory loaded ammo that will do very well in a lot of different rifles but you can always do better. An example would be the federal gold match 168gr that the urban sniper teams love so much. I tried it while waiting for my die set to come for a rifle I bought and it did very well. I was pulling 5 shot 100yrd groups out of my 308 that measured in the .600" range. After I got my dies and set up for some real loads I was able to pull multiple 5 shot groups of .287" - .310". It took me 2 days at the range to get my gun shooting that well and it isn't a cheap gun, it's a very expensive toy. I have found similar result for every caliber I reload which include .308, .222, .204, .223, 22-250, 270wsm, 9mm, .357 and 40s&w.

The biggest thing you will get from reloading is a load that is tuned to your rifle that is repeatable and consistant. It takes time and dedication to do and alot of work to get the best results. Not just reloading but proper rifle care. When reloading for accuracy there is alot of time put into the brass, not just throwing it in a polisher and reloading it and your done, I spend an average of 5 min a piece on primer pockets, length and od sizing, seperation by weight,fire hole de-buring, ect..

It is very nice to know that the bullet is going to go where I tell it to everytime I pull the trigger and I know I wont have a flier becouse somebody messed up a bullit of sneezes at the wrong time.

There is also the relaxing/getaway from the world part I like, sitting in my garage watching tv and reloading for hours on end. I get my kids involved and they think its cool to do. I let my 13 year old son load up 1000 rounds of 40 one day and he loved it. You can save money reloading but not as much as you used to be able to. Sometimes I find you can buy cheaper ammo from walmart and that is great break in ammo...

Eveyone has their own opinion and thats whats great about this world...

LAST EDITED ON Feb-12-10 AT 12:05PM (MST)[p] I let my 13
>year old son load up
>1000 rounds of 40 one
>day and he loved it.
> You can save money
>reloading but not as much
>as you used to be
>able to. Sometimes I
>find you can buy cheaper
>ammo from walmart and that
>is great break in ammo...
>
>
>Eveyone has their own opinion and
>thats whats great about this
>world...

Most factory ammo is loaded by a computer program.....that I will wager is not as likely to "sneeze" as your 13 year old.....but hey, as you said, I'm the one that is crazy.

>LAST EDITED ON Feb-12-10
>AT 12:05?PM (MST)

>
> I let my 13
>>year old son load up
>>1000 rounds of 40 one
>>day and he loved it.
>> You can save money
>>reloading but not as much
>>as you used to be
>>able to. Sometimes I
>>find you can buy cheaper
>>ammo from walmart and that
>>is great break in ammo...
>>
>>
>>Eveyone has their own opinion and
>>thats whats great about this
>>world...
>
>Most factory ammo is loaded by
>a computer program.....that I will
>wager is not as likely
>to "sneeze" as your 13
>year old.....but hey, as you
>said, I'm the one that
>is crazy.

Notice I said he reloads my pistol ammo... I am the only one who loads me rifles..

>
> NOT TRUE ZUKMAN.....BUT YOUR ENTITLED
>TO YOUR OPINION JUST THE
>SAME..............YD.

I would like to know what is not true?

I shoot in a Rifle and Pistol club and shoot Bench Rest, I know for a fact you will never get a factory load to shoot equally in all guns...

Cost is the #1 reason for me, the second is I load for a couple rifles that factory ammo isn't available. Most of my rifles have limited factory offerings, and the ones that are available are usually $60-90+ a box. I save easily 50% over factory ammo.

I don't have much tied up in a reloading set up, maybe $300. I make that back every year just in the money I save shooting one rifle.

Well, I was gonna leave this mostly alone, but it's a slow day.

If you own a rifle, in good shape and built by a modern manufacturer, you can find a factory load that will perform perfectly in that rifle. You may have to experiment with different companies, but there will be one that you will be very happy with, in any hunting situation.

Now, if your passion is to "punch paper", in your lead sled, off a solid bench rest, you may very well handload something that will shoot 1/2 MOA at 100yds. Good for you.

Take that same rifle, drop the ambient temperature to 15 degrees, add a 30 minute stalk, no bench rest, in rain, snow or mud, with some wind.....read "hunting conditions"....and that 1/2 MOA won't count for 2 pounds of wild owl chit.

Most hunters prefer "minute of deer",or "minute of milk jug" under ANY conditions.

The big 3 ammo guys, with their "A game" load, pretty much guarantee hunting performance under hunting conditions. A couple of other manufacturers are above that level, but you will pay more for that extra performance. They also can go one critical step beyond what most handloaders can do.....what does that bullet do when it gets to where it needs to be. You and I rarely can test that feature.

So that there is no misunderstanding, I own 3 rifles that, to my knowledge, never had a factory load marketed for them, and when I shot paper for a hobby, I was just as anal as the rest. (.219 Zipper, .219 Donaldson Wasp, .22-06 Easling)

That was then and this is now. I don't have the time or inclination to attempt to produce a load that will consistantly kill grasshoppers at 100 yards.

I now shoot Hornady VMax factory loads in my Swift, my .243 and their 165gr Light Mags in my '06, and I am constantly impressed by the performance, in hunting situations.

Beating Hornady, et al, at their own game is very difficult in the modern world.

But, I don't think anybody is "crazy" for doing what makes them happy. If you ENJOY reloading, then you should do it.

I haven't loaded one round up yet, but I have enough equipment and componants to load up for my 30.06. I bought 2 boxes of loading dies and presses and misc stuff for 25 bucks. I sold off all the calibers I wasn't interested in and bought new components and dies so I am on the cheap. My reasoning is availability of ammo to buy, now I don't have to worry about it. I have enough stuff to last my lifetime. Another situation I have is I recently bought a double 30.06 one barrel shoots 1 1/2 inches high at 100 yards I believe I can regulate that with reloading, well I guess I could do it buying factory loads too, but I need a new indoor hobby. I have 38 7mm mag brass that I won't use, 10 bucks for someone in Denver, any takers.

my resons

m.25WSSM =$37.99 a box ( OF 20!)
hand loaded less than 10.00 a box

.223 1/2 factory cost

SAMMI specks are based on every fire arm regardless of brand, age and condition. so they fit sloppy in most firearms.

example: my finely tuned .223 hand loads will not feed in any semi, and most other bolts actions, they clear my box mag with about .001 clearance, only after some "modifications".

but most of all it is fun.

to each his own.

What do you mean "all that brass?" The Widowmaker has been sighted in since 1974 and I only have 3 hulls every year-1 for elk,1 for deer, and 1 for bobcat....

;-)

(Just kidding-I just put most of my brass back in the box and save it.)

If you want to make a case for savings, every time I sit down over the weekend and load up 500 50bmg cases I save over $1,000. If I'm loading incindiaries you can more than triple that cost savings. So yes reloading can save some serious cash.

Also with a progressive press I can sit down for an evening and easily crank out 1,000 rounds of 223 ammo. The equipment I have has cost several thousand dollars over the years (electric case trimmer, electronic powder measure, single stage presses, progressive presses, countless die sets, bullet casting equipment, and a lot more gadgets) I haven't kept track to see if it's paid for itself yet but the more I shoot the closer I get.

I was at Cabela's this weekend and noticed they had factory Weatherby loaded with the Accubond..........i'm all over it!

http://i764.photobucket.com/albums/xx290/slamdunk_04/E1x1BWINV1-2.jpg[/IMG]

If you want to settle for "minute of deer", then their isn't much reason to handload. While some uninformed hunters tend to think their rifles are magic lasers, most serious hunters know the limitations of their rifles and their ammo.

Handloading can almost always improve accuracy. But not every rifle will shoot even 1 moa. Bullet selection is a key for me. I am a huge fan of Barnes TSX bullets, and can tailor my loads to each rifle. I don't have to settle for a specific brand of factory ammo, or limited weight choices. Shooting regularly helps me gain confidence in both my rifle and my own abilities. Handloading my own ammo allows me to shoot more (for the same or less cost), refine the accuracy of my rifle, and improve my chances of success in the field.

If a box of Rem core-lokt bullets is your choice for elk hunting, and lasts you several years, then don't bother to reload. I shpot all my reloads through an Oehler chronograph, and have the data to know how fast they are going, and the standard deviation for a given load. It is rare, put possible, for a factory load to duplicate this performance. Data published on the ammo boxes is at best a guess, and should never be believed without additional data. I can develop appropriate drop charts and wind drift charts from my ammo because I KNOW how they are shooting. On most game shots (under 200 yards) this is mostly irrelevant, but still helpful under severe field circumstances. Just part of the little things I do to make my hunts more successful.

Don't feel obligated to handload. There isn't much need to go scouting in the summer, either. Or to do a myriad of the little things most hard core hunters do. Maybe some don't handload so they can have more time to scout. That also may be a valid trade-off.

Bill

I started handloading in the 70's alongside my dad. He loaded everything he shot. We spent many hours out in the shop loading shells and talking about hunting deer and elk. One of my fondest memories.

Today I handload most of my ammo. Again, I involve my kids. I have 2 daughters and a son that are old enough to hunt big game and they enjoy reloading ammo out in my shop too. It's fun to pass along a tradition to the next generation. I am glad my dad took the time to help me learn the process so I can roll my own.

I've shot a lot of factory ammo as well, especially when it used to be cheaper. I have experienced two misfires with remington corelokt 25-06 ammo. Sad thing is one of them was on a 186" buck about 10 years ago. I killed it later on in the season, but it cost me a lot of time. Never had a reload misfire. I've hear of some, but never had one of my own not fire.

I like to be self reliant as much as possible, and I think I've got the tools to load a heck of a lot of ammo if I ever needed to do it. During the last two years while the ammo has been ridiculously high priced, I have been reloading my own stuff using components I bought at good prices before the scare. I think I've saved a lot of money in actual hard cost. I understand the value of time, and if you factor that in, you don't save much money reloading your own. However, if you factor in the value of spending time with your kids, it is hard to put a price on that. I teach them to clean the cases, how to extract primers and all the things that reloaders need to know, all the while inspecting each and every job to make sure we don't mess anything up.

To me it builds my confidence in my shooting to know with a surety that every single round of ammo has been cleaned, resized, trimmed, inspected, powder individually weighed to the "t" and that no one has touched the primer with greasy hands. I know that it has all been done exactly right. With factory loads, I am trusting that it has, but I really don't know if the machine checked every one of the rounds. I know computers are very accurate, but they are machines and they malfunction on a rare occasion. I'm not saying that factory ammo is not good, because it is. What I'm saying is that I trust myself more than I trust something I didn't see. It gives me confidence that every round is going the same place.

Ok, I'm finished rambling.

DeerBeDead

PS I like to be able to load different bullet weights for the kids so they can start out with less recoiling loads when they're young. Sometimes it's hard to find cheap ammo in light weight loads for kids.

I started to load my own to save money. Somebody warned me that it would actually cost me more. I now see what he was saying. I shoot more now that I ever did. So was it worth it? Absolutely.

It's fun to shoot a rifle that won't shoot MOA with factory ammo and then to do this with handloads.
robspics009.jpg

My wife says I'm one of those anal guys too.

About reloading, nasty thinkers.

When I first started, it was about saving money. Now, not so much. It's more of a hobby/obsession to see how much more consistency I can get out of a bullet/brass/primer/case combo. I keep detailed notes about the various combos and what happens with each when I do something like vary the powder load by .1 grain. As others have said, there isn't a whole lot of accuracy difference at shorter ranges.

However, I did justfy the expense to my wife when we went to a range and shot factory 180 partitions against my hand loaded partitions. From a bench at 450 yards, factory ammo, she hit the 18" metal target less than half the time. With my ammo, each shot hit the target.

Compromise, hell! ... If freedom is right and tyranny is wrong, why should those who believe in freedom treat it as if it were a roll of bologna to be bartered a slice at a time?

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom