Am I the only one that thinks this way?

scpaisley

So I'm watching the pursuit channel the other morning and they are doing a whitetail hunt in Ohio, I think it was called Monster Whitetails of Ohio or something close to that. Now being from Ohio I wanted to watch this show. I've seen, taken, and had friends take some really nice bucks over the years. So the show starts and they start showing some of the "monsters" they had taken. They were all big bucks. But the one thing that got me was the fact that they were all non-typs with trash everywhere on their racks.

Now don't get me wrong, a big buck with trash is cool. My problem is that all these deer were basically groomed to be this way with the food plots and steroids and what have you. Its taken the wonder, amazement, and specialness away from taking a buck like that.

I know not all hunting is this way right now but what will it be like when my kids are grown and out hunting? Especially in the age of wanting it now.

"Some days its just not worth chewing through the restraints"

You bring a valid point to the table...

I think you're right about a "desensitization" to gnarly, freaky bucks. I think this may only extend to watching them on DVD and TV though... If I harvested one, I would still find it a 1/1,000,000 buck... I'm sure your children will feel the same.

On the other hand, what if straight, typical bucks became the odd bucks..? They'd be even more impressive in my book...

Thanks for the thread...

I am not sure you can ?groom? deer to be non typicals. (maybe through selective breeding, but that is a different issue) Not sure what affect steroids have but food plots do not result in more non typical bucks.

With normal free range deer a high rate of non typicals is an age class thing (imo). In some areas of the mid-west a large percentage of the deer carry non typical genes, but need to reach a certain age to really show those genes. A large percentage of non typicals is in my opinion a good thing because it is a sign that more bucks are reaching a higher age.

I am not sure about all the high fence ranch stuff though?.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom