Am I crazy?

Iowan

I have been applying in New Mexico, Utah, Wyoming and building points in Colorado for about 7 years. I now have the financial capacity to add one more state to the mix and try to increase my odds of drawing a tag each year. I have ruled out Arizona and Nevada because at 40 I see the wait for even a good tag to be well beyond 10 years for most species. That leaves Idaho, but the current system of having to buy the $150 or so license and get no point has kept me from applying in the past, not to mention all the doom and gloom about the decline of the herds.

My theory is that all this doom and gloom is keeping many people from applying and that there are certainly still good enough numbers to have a fun hunt. As someone who never experienced the 'good ole days' in Idaho I see some possible silver lining. First, competition for tags is probably lower, but I suppose there are also less tags. Since there are less tags there will be fewer hunters to compete with. Although the odds are not great for some of the OIL hunts they are better than any other state (moose is my primary interest). I am also generally an optimist and believe that by getting my feet wet in Idaho now, when herds rebound I will be in position to take advantage of that if I have hunted a couple units.

Do I need to take my rose tinted glasses off????

I am most interested in applying for archery elk and moose (or any of the OIL species for that matter). I really hope someday to take a moose with my bow. Since Idaho is new to me, I would appreciate any advice you all have. I can provide information about the units I have hunted in other states and anything you want to know about hunting Iowa.

Thank You.

You are not crazy, but you definitely are optimistic. The herds are not going to rebound until the predators get controlled. Numbers are definitely down. Look at the planned reduction in moose tags this coming season and you will see how much the wolves and grizzlies have impacted our game.

You also can't apply for moose and elk in the same year on the first round. If you apply for a moose on the first round you could apply for a left over elk on the second round. Go to the F&G web page and look at the reason for the moose tag reduction. Some units have not had a moose killed in them for up to 4 or 5 years. Those units will close and more will come. If you want to hunt for archery elk Idaho has opportunity. Populations in some areas are not good but you will have opportunity. Some of us call it armed hiking. Ron

The Moose population has really taken a hit. The elk population is not far behind. If this wolf situation is not controlled cow elk hunts will soon be a thing of the past. I hate being doom and gloom all the time, but it's the truth. Being a nonresident you can buy an elk tag over the counter,, like Ron say's theres still elk just not as many. It breaks my heart. Good luck!!!!!

If Money, like you stated, is not a problem then buy an over the counter tag and come hunt. Learn a couple of areas apply for any controlled hunts in them or adjacent. If you don't draw, buy an over the counter tag. Idaho has it all. Herds are down in numbers, but there a great hunts to be had statewide. If it is so bad, then why are us residents still buying tags and killing animals every year? Welcome to Idaho! Hope for the best and settle for the rest.

Come hunting. It's not as bad as most would have you believe. I'd look hard at a few of the contolled south central units that have reasonable odds of draw. Good hunting to be had and some really nice bulls too........General hunts are always an option of course. And a good one if you're not completely fixated on killing a trophy but nice bulls can turn up anywhere there are elk in Idaho.............

It is a shame we've had these damn wolves thrust upon us. They are having a negative impact and hunting is not near as good as it was (and it was really, really good) just prior to re-introduction. But you can still find them.

Basically you'll never know if you don't come give it a try.

the artist formerly known as "gemstatejake".

Thanks all. My best friend was stationed at Mountain Home but it was back in the day (late 80's) when even gas money was hard to come by but he certainly enjoyed his time there. Unfortunately I think the wolves are here to stay but hopefully the states will be given the ability to control numbers to bring it to some reasonable balance. I think I will roll the dice this year and see what happens. My two favrite hunts of all time were hunts where I did not harvest an animal but helped a nephew and brother harvest so I do not need to kill something to have fun but seeing game sure makes it a lot more enjoyable.

I'm in agreement with these guys. Idaho has some good elk and opportunity. you will see elk and have opportunities for shots. Might have to settle for a decent five point but could see a dandy in about any archery unit. A 400 plus inch bull was killed a few years ago on a general otc rifle tag
Try it. You might like what Idaho has. But don't be surprised when you see a lot of people

I say give it a try. I would also suggest putting in for antelope and mule deer draws as well since you would already be forking out the cash for the license fee. If you don't draw I'm with GSJ...the OTC tags are a nice fall back. I saw more elk last year in an OTC area than I have in the last 5 years. I'm not saying the elk numbers are rebounding, but I saw plenty last year.

In my honest opinion, the IDFG department has been tailoring "their needs" (finances) to fit the realm of non resident hunting. More non residents = more dinero!! The supposed managed game are not increasing like they had hoped, causing non residents to put in for other states with better chances and better and bigger game. Therefore we as residents have seen an increase in all fee aspects (license, tags, etc.) to make up for the non residents who left or that arent coming at all. I beleive you should be able to do pretty decent on non resident draws. I am not sayin you will get it the first time you put in (although some have had that happen) but you wont have to wait the entire 10 or so + years to draw. However, like others have stated, the game isnt what it used to be and I think if you are planning on dropping a 170 or better class buck, or anything past a 320 bull elk youre setting your standards pretty high. Animals like this are in Idaho because residents are doing the IDFG work in that being outdoors instead of behind the steering wheel or a dusty computer is where you find your info. I also think they should spend less time in their check stations, and more time in the hills. Anyone can bring a dead animal home after 4 pm, cuz the lazy suckers gotta head to Chuck a rama to get the senior citizen discount. haha good luck my man!!

For archery there are good elk hunts over the counter.
Although some is on private land.
There are a few units with good moose left, but Id. does not have a archery only moose hunt. Still a good bow hunt opportunity if drawn.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Idaho Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Bearpaw Outfitters

Idaho Deer & Elk Allocation Tags, Plus Bear, Bison, Lion, Moose, Turkey and Montana Prairie Dogs.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, whitetail, bear, lion and wolf hunts and spend hundreds of hours scouting.

Jokers Wild Outdoors

Trophy elk, whitetail, mule deer, antelope, bear and moose hunts. 35k acres of private land.

Back
Top Bottom