Altitude Sickness

RutCrazed

I read a couple of older posts about altitude sickness but just wanted to get one more round of opinions before heading out in a couple of weeks. Last year I took my son back to Utah to hunt deer with family. I was born and raised there, so no problems, but my son was born in Kansas and got altitude sickness the first day of the hunt. We live at 1,000' elevation and were hunting above 9,000'. We made the drive in one day and it wiped him out. When I realized what it was we went back down to 5,000' so he could recover, but it still took several days.
Based on what I have read, getting something from the Dr. and hydration is probably the way to go, but also saw Rolaids, Athletes Advantage, Motion Eaze...
I am looking for any and all help, it was tough watching him struggle with it last time.

I ask that question when I got a Colorado Mtn Goat tag. Posted link below. A lot of good information from others. I have never had a problem before but did not want to chance an OIL tag. Also been a while since I have hiked at 10k to 14k feet. Getting Altitude sickness has nothing to do about how good of shape you are in. Also Stay away from alcohol. Acclamation to the altitude is important.
Understand it affects everyone differently. I took the medication anyways, so did my daughter and friend.
I had no altitude problems. My daughter basically would start to get minor symptoms and headaches at 10K.
Found my Mtn Goat and hiked up over 12k feet a to kill it. My friend was pushing for us to get all of the Mtn Goat off the mountain that night in one load which we did. Once we hiked out I found out he started getting sick at around 11k feet on the way up. He did not think he could make a hike up again the next day. He did not tell me on the way up because he did not want to bail out on the stalk. I told him that could of been an issue.

I ask that question when I got a Colorado Mtn Goat tag. Posted link below. A lot of good information from others. I have never had a problem before but did not want to chance an OIL tag. Also been a while since I have hiked at 10k to 14k feet. Getting Altitude sickness has nothing to do about how good of shape you are in. Also Stay away from alcohol. Acclamation to the altitude is important.
Understand it affects everyone differently. I took the medication anyways, so did my daughter and friend.
I had no altitude problems. My daughter basically would start to get minor symptoms and headaches at 10K.
Found my Mtn Goat and hiked up over 12k feet a to kill it. My friend was pushing for us to get all of the Mtn Goat off the mountain that night in one load which we did. Once we hiked out I found out he started getting sick at around 11k feet on the way up. He did not think he could make a hike up again the next day. He did not tell me on the way up because he did not want to bail out on the stalk. I told him that could of been an issue.

It took a while to diagnose it at first because my son is in such good shape, compared to us old fat guys, we just figured he had motion sickness or even the flu.
Thanks for the link. I will give the doctor a call and see if I can get him some meds for this time around.

I have only gotten it once when I camped over 12,000 feet and had a couple of beers.

I live at 6700 feet and regularly hunt over 12,000 feet. I also mostly camp above 10,000 feet.

Camping lower will help and no alcohol.

Ken

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom