All Utah Law Enforcement Officers -

Roy

1911, Predator, rugarm77 and anybody else I may have missed - Sad day for you. Please be careful out there and I hope you find this scumbag quickly!

http://www.ksl.com/?nid=148&sid=9235186

Deputy fatally shot; police searching for 2 men
January 5, 2010

SALT LAKE CITY -- The search of a Salt Lake City home did not turn up the man wanted for gunning down a deputy Tuesday morning. Officers have cleared a containment area near 1100 West and 300 South but continue their manhunt for the suspect and a person of interest in the case.

Millard County sheriff's Deputy Josie Greathouse Fox was fatally shot during a traffic stop in Delta around 1 a.m. Officers are looking for the suspect, 37-year-old Roberto Miramontes Roman, and 36-year-old Ruben Chavez Reyes, who they call a person of interest.

Search of Salt Lake home completed

Police set up the Salt Lake containment area around 4:30 a.m. after receiving information that Roman may be there. They found his orange Corvette parked outside a home. SWAT teams surrounded the house and a shed, fired tear gas into the shed and searched the house but did not find Roman. They also searched other homes of the suspect's relatives. The containment area now is cleared.

Officers did take a man into custody who may be one of Roman's relatives.

Police also located a 1995 gray Cadillac Deville they believe Roman was driving after the crime. They found it just west of Nephi. Roman may have switched cars and driven the Corvette to Salt Lake City.

Roman is 5 feet 7 inches tall, 130 pounds, with brown hair and brown eyes. Police consider him armed and dangerous. Records show Roman was arrested several times in the 1990s on drug charges and spent time in the Utah State Prison for it.

Residents in the area were asked to stay in their homes and to report anything suspicious to the Millard County Sheriff's Office at 435-743-5302 or Salt Lake City Police at 801-799-3000.

"If anybody does come into contact with this suspect, call 911. Do not approach him, do not try to talk to him. He's very dangerous. We'll have officers take care of that," said Sgt. Jeff Nigbur of the UHP.

Investigation, traffic stop preceded shooting

The community of Delta is deeply saddened and shocked by the loss of Deputy Fox.

Investigators say she and another deputy were looking into a recent rash of home burglaries and trailer thefts. Deputy Fox initiated a traffic stop just east of Delta on Highway 50 right after 1 a.m. When she approached the car, the driver shot and killed her.

She was wearing a bulletproof vest, but investigators say the bullet struck just above it, near her badge.

She was found with her gun still in its holster, leading investigators to believe she was shot without warning. She also was holding her flashlight.

Millard County Sheriff Robert Dekker explained, "We know that she stopped the vehicle, she called in and identified with a license number with her location. Just a few short minutes later Sgt. Kimball pulled up to the scene. Deputy Fox was lying in the road with a gunshot wound."

Fox died at the scene. The driver fled in a gray 1995 Cadillac Deville with Utah plate 713 PAB.

Sheriff Dekker says Deputy Fox was well-liked in the community and was willing to help whether she was on or off duty. The sheriff said Fox particularly enjoyed and was very successful at working with juvenile cases. She had a positive influence on the youth of the community.

Deputy Fox is survived by her husband and two children. She got into law enforcement later in life and had been on the force for the past five years.

Schools closed

The search for Roman closed two schools and almost disrupted a funeral in Salt Lake City.

People arriving at St Patrick's church on 400 South and Goshen Street were surprised to see all the police cars and barricaded streets.

"It's kind of scary to see the street blocked off like that," said one woman. "It's nerve wracking that things like this happen."

St. Patrick's Church Another man said he assumed the worst when he drove up. "I thought it was a hostage situation or somebody shot, something bad again."

Debbie Prokopis wondered if they would even be able to continue with the funeral.

"I watched the news this morning because we knew we were going to come right here," she said.

The church is a block away from where most of the police activity was happening.

"We've talked to police and they say we are fine to park here and fine to continue with our funeral. Until they tell us otherwise, we are good," Prokopis said.

But Franklin Elementary and Guadalupe schools were both closed because of all the police activity. Most neighbors stayed away or in their homes.

Stay with KSL.com, KSL 5 and KSL Newsradio 102.7 FM/1160 AM for updates on this developing story.

------

Story compiled with contributions from Randall Jeppesen, Shara Park , Sam Penrod and Mary Richards.

UTROY
Proverbs 21:19 (why I hunt!)

That is very sad....
I can't imagine what the family is going through, my heart goes out to them in this very hard time.
Be carefull out there guys.

4b1db2ac644136c4.jpg

This kind of thing makes me sick. There was an officer named Rich May who was killed two years ago up in Palo Alto by some gang-banger. This guy shot at Rich, hit him twice, then walked back to him and put one in his head to make sure he was dead. Unbelievable. These mother f'ers need to get the sh!t kicked out of them. 5'7" 130 lbs....hiding behind a gun and kills a woman cop. What a #####!!
I feel horrible for her husband and kids. It's a sad day...

Steve

LAST EDITED ON Jan-05-10 AT 05:41PM (MST)[p]This hits me hard. We don't have a whole lot of female LEO's here and we pretty much know each other. She was doing something I do 20 times a shift. I've been asked why I do not give warnings on traffic stops. I can't seem to get folks to understand that if it may cost me my life, their ticket is but a small price to pay.

RIP Josie, we'll take it from here. Rest easy my friend, nothing left to fear.

Pred

My Mrs and I always worry about our close family friend 'predator' as she is a fiesty little one and never backs down nor shows any fear.

We knew Lisa would be upset about the Police Dog K9 that was killed in the line of duty early this year and this Officer death is so upsetting to us for Lisa and of course the down officer and her family.

Be safe all you Officers....and thanks for everything.

Robb

Prayers for the family and all you guys and gals who protect us every day.

Thank you.

Hey Roy- remember my roommate Michelle? Josie was one of her best friends. I didn't know her all that well personally, but Michelle just loved her and she was good to Michelle and a lot of fun. I'm sad for all my Delta friends who knew her.

LAST EDITED ON Jan-05-10 AT 10:45PM (MST)[p]The news said the guy that shot her just sold drugs to her brother?

Reddog- that is correct. That would be how they identified him so quickly. How sick is that. Brother's addiction killed his sister.

Very sad day for Millard County Sheriffs Office . Rest in peace Deputy Fox . There are pictures of the supect that he had posted on my space , The suspect looks like a little punk with his assault rifle .
That punk is the most wanted person in Utah , and I predict justice will be swift .

>Very sad day for Millard County
>Sheriffs Office . Rest in
>peace Deputy Fox . There
>are pictures of the supect
>that he had posted on
>my space , The suspect
>looks like a little punk
>with his assault rifle .
>
> That punk is
>the most wanted person in
>Utah , and I predict
>justice will be swift .
>

Very well said Andy. My heart goes out to the family and 2 little kids left behind. This ##### is getting old real fast. Thanks Roy.

That makes me physically sick. I don't know how you can look at this story and not get mad as hell! A beautiful woman with a family at home doing a job that most don't want to touch and a person that shouldn't have been in this country in the first place guns her down. There's something seriously wrong with this country if we can't fix this stuff.

It's always an adventure!!!
www.awholelottabull.com

>That makes me physically sick.
>I don't know how you
>can look at this story
>and not get mad as
>hell! A beautiful woman
>with a family at home
>doing a job that most
>don't want to touch and
>a person that shouldn't have
>been in this country in
>the first place guns her
>down. There's something seriously
>wrong with this country if
>we can't fix this stuff.
>
>
>It's always an adventure!!!
>www.awholelottabull.com

Bull very well said!

LAST EDITED ON Jan-06-10 AT 06:56AM (MST)[p]What an extremely sad story!! I agree, really hard to read it without getting pissed off...I feel terrible for her family. I can't even begin to think about how they must feel right now...to hear such a horrible thing happen to someone trying to do so much good with her life...just tears my heart out and makes me wanna scream at the top of my lungs!!

~Z~

http://www.ksl.com/?nid=148&sid=9247280

Thanks to the quick actions of a citizen, these murderers will see justice served. Now I demand that all the people who helped them also be charged, because one cannot get to Beaver from SLC on foot!

Thanks for the support guys, we don't hear it often, and it means more than you know.

Pred

Very well said Predator,and others and Thanks Roy.
This is one of my worst fears with 1911, and he has come close a couple of times, I'm very grateful for all LEO who try and make this world a little safer.

Very sad deal, I hope and pray no one else loses their Life because of this cop killer.

BE SAFE OUT THERE ALL LAW ENFORCEMENT OFFICERS AND JAILERS (that's for you rug)

The rest of the story is that Josie is not the only one. 2010 is 7 days old and 4 of us have already died.

If you all can make the journey and have never seen what an officer's funeral is like, find a way to at least see the procession. I will leave a very lasting impression. Our way of showing our grief, and makig sure the family and the community understands that Josie was special in more ways than just being a deputy.

The motto upon the the state memorial rings so true. " that there is no greater gift than a man lay down his life for another"

Even though I am far away from this in Texas - I just felt a little relieved and can sit a little easier knowing these two are in custody. I hope they can make a good capital case against them.

Again - all LEO's - please be safe out there and thank you for doing what you are doing.

UTROY
Proverbs 21:19 (why I hunt!)

Sorry to see this crap happen.

Compromise, hell! ... If freedom is right and tyranny is wrong, why should those who believe in freedom treat it as if it were a roll of bologna to be bartered a slice at a time?

As a LEO I am glad to see they were caught. I agree with Pred and those that help should also be charged. I just finished reading a review of the shooting in Washington where the 4 cops were killed in the coffee shop. It made me sick to think that within 5 seconds four police officers died for nothing. That guy had a driver waiting while he went in. They should charge the poeple who helped in Utah like they did in Washington.

Those pieces of &^%$ need to be executed in the middle of Delta for all to see. I am sick and tired of all the illegals that are constantly causing true Americans of all ethnicity grief.

My thoughts and prayers go out to all LEO's and their families.

Be safe and watch your back.

The guy was deported twice! What the heck was he doing back here? Now that they are in custody all we need now is a good rope. Git-r-done! Thanks to all those who keep us safe.

Cop funerals make me cry. They are a big deal. I've been to 5 I think. I didn't go to the one in the Tacoma-dome for the 4 Lakewood officers but several of my buddies did. I always think about my 3 year old boy and how sad he would be if it was me. I find it even harder if the cops are woman. I'm sorry you guys lost a friend. I can't imagine what her family is going through.

This illegal allien sh@@ has been out of control for some time down here in los Angeles. You arrest these dirt bags for a felony crime, they get deported and they are back in LA in about 4 weeks. Job security when you keep arresting the same illegal A@@holes time after time.

And Parole what a joke, how many times do we have to hear about someone out on parole killing our hurting someone before we have had enough and either let these people rot in jail or take them out of society for good.

When the punishment doesn't fit the crime, its not a deterrent to committing crimes. We need lots of help to fix this country. There are a lot of sick people running around free to victimize the innocent people. 15 years of trying to keep this type of people locked up and it seems to be becoming a loosing battle. I hope thing change soon or those movies like water world or mad max mite be close to reality.

ALL LEO Please be safe and always look on the safe side of things because they(Pieces of Sh!t) are just waiting to catch you unaware. My prayers goes out to her family.

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom