Alaska sheep draw question

cjboz

Very Active Member
I have been researching the Dall sheep draw in Alaska. My question to you is: Do you have to put in through an outfitter? If you draw what would a guide cost you? I am pretty clueless to how all of that works. When you guys are talking about booking sheep hunts, are the guides awarded tags? or are they in a draw ect. Any clarity would be appreciated. Thanks Craig

There are only a few areas in Alaska where the dall sheep tags are a draw only (TOK and Chaguch) areas. If you put in for these tags you have to be lined up with a guide. The guides in alask for sheep run anywhere from $8500 to 15,000. The other areas of Alaska are over the counter sheep tags that cost $450 and you have to have a guide by law and they run around the same price. I am currently booked with Chris Zwolinski in the Brooks Range. It is an over the counter area and the guide was $10,500. Hope that helps

You can personally apply but you have to put down a guide or close relative since you are out of state and the guide has to know that you are putting them down or you will be denied. You can also let the outfitter know and they can put in for you. The hunts will cost you an arm and maybe a leg depending on where you fly out or if you fly out. You are awarded the tag but you can't hunt without a guide. For non-draw areas I believe you can use a guide to facilitate the purchase.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom