AK couple looking to chase some ID muleys

A

alaska_lanche

So let me just say that I wish Alaska fish and game would get their acts together and put together a website similar you what Idaho has going on. Hunt planner showing what can be hunted in a given time of year, with what choice of weapon. Units with quick access harvest rates, man it sure makes it a lot easier.

Anyways, the hunting season here in Alaska will be winding down and my wife and I are wanting to try our hand at chase a deer around. I'm bowhunter certified she is not. What we are really interested in is getting to see some deer, don't have to be big at all we'd be happy bagging a doe, just looking to try hunting outside Alaska a little.

Based on what the consensus is here I'll either have her purchase the hunting license and deer tag we'll hunt an any weapon hunt or I'll purchase the license and tag and do the archery hunt. Not too concerned with what will give us a better chance of actually bagging a deer (obviously rifle hunting is generally higher success) but rather just seeing mule deer would be way fun. We aren't afraid to hike and actually would like to make it a glorified backpack hunting trip if that is realistic given the hunts open during our time frame. Her and I backpacked in 12 miles to and packed out a caribou this fall so we aren't afraid to put forth some effort.

Anyways looking at the dates we are looking at going 10/29-11/9 the any weapon hunts that look like the best chances of seeing a muley to bag are the unit 17 and 20. The best chances for a muley archery hunt looks to be unit 53. Am I missing an other units, I'm all ears on suggestions.

So what might give us the best chance of a decent backpacking trip with stumbling across some mule deer given our limited time frame. Sorry for the long write up and short notice but some things fell through so we are able to try and make an out of state hunt work.

Thanks for any info

I have brought some good deer out of 17, but let me say this, it is probably one of the most remote and rugged units in Idaho. Roadless wilderness that goes up to about 10000 feet. Lots of bears, lions, and wolves and deer are spread out but there are some big bucks in there. If you go in via the magruder corridor road, check out the white cap lakes and also line lake near the 21 border. Also, that unit could have up to 2 feet of snow that time of the year.

Ridgeline Outdoors Hunt Staff.

Thanks for the info. Much appreciated. Yeah we were expecting lots of snow on this hunt. Plan on bringing all our winter backpacking equiptment on this little venture. We are not strangers to roadless wilderness, but we plan on being every bit as prepared on this muley hunt as if we were getting dropped off on a remote until via bush plane here in Alaska. Thanks for the info. Looking like we'll do a rifle hunt in either 17 or 20. Should be a good chance to get out and do some hiking/backpacking and explore a different part of the country. Looking forward to it.

Just need to start looking at access points so we don't want end up tresspassing. Can we just park in a pull out off the highway and start hiking if we like how an area looks and the topo looks reasonable. I know its a crap shoot doing it this way, but with just showing up with 8-10 days to hunt we really don't have much time to scout.

Again thanks for any and all info.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Idaho Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Bearpaw Outfitters

Idaho Deer & Elk Allocation Tags, Plus Bear, Bison, Lion, Moose, Turkey and Montana Prairie Dogs.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, whitetail, bear, lion and wolf hunts and spend hundreds of hours scouting.

Jokers Wild Outdoors

Trophy elk, whitetail, mule deer, antelope, bear and moose hunts. 35k acres of private land.

Back
Top Bottom