Airlines - disassemble gun & gear with gun?

DonVathome

Very Active Member
Has anyone had an issue with airline (or TSA) requiring you to have you gun broken down as much as possible? What about having other stuff in with your gun (clothes, binos etc)?

>Has anyone had an issue with
>airline (or TSA) requiring you
>to have you gun broken
>down as much as possible?
>What about having other stuff
>in with your gun (clothes,
>binos etc)?

Don, funny you posted that. Well, maybe not that funny.

I am sitting in Sea-Tac right now, on my way to Alaska for moose. This morning, TSA did a complete inspection of everything. They pulled everything out; ammo and ammo boxes, ammo pouches, scope covers. Then pulled the foam pads out of my aluminum airline case to see what was underneath those, both top and bottom. I was watching from afar and almost had a fit. Nothing you can say or do, as they are in their own removed space, away from the ticket counter, making them oblivious to my gesturing and offers to help.

They put everything back together and the lady seemed to take some care as to lining up both rifles close to where they should be. But, when she couldn't get the locks to work easily, she put all here weight on the top of it and forced them shut. That means something was not lined up properly, given the recessed spots I have in the protective foam. ARRGGGHH.

Definitely doing some checks on the zero when I get out in the bush.

"Hunt when you can - You're gonna' run out of health before you run out of money!"

I was wondering where you were at now! I was going through all my notes in my 80 page word doc just for AK (really is that big) and thought about you and buskil on bowsite.

Did you have anything besides rifle/ammo in there?

I always have extra bags (duffel bags) in case I have an issue worse case I pay for another bag at $100.

Good luck, I look forward to yor hunt, and mine!!!!!!!!!!!!!

GOD LUCK AND BE SAFE

You do not need to disassmeble any rifle, and I haven't been asked to do that in over 100 flights with guns. Sign the "unloaded firearm" disclosure form and that is it. I do not remove bolts, stocks, or anything from the gun.
You can put other items in with the rifle, as long as you don't exceed the weight limit. One particular case, the TuffPack, is specifically designed to hold clothing and other gear with your firearm. While not my favorite case, I've used it multiple times without question. I personally prefer the Pelican style / Browning travel vault type case, as I believe it provides the best protection for the firearm.

That said, every ticket agent is a law unto themselves. Strangest issue I ever had was with an agent in SLC who insisted I had to sign the form declaring my bow was unloaded! Be careful you don't let some agent instruct you to do something clearly illegal, like one agent who once told me it was okay to put my ammo in my carryon. I knew better, and insisted it go in the checked bag as originally planned.
Be polite, ask for a supervisor if necessary, and try to remind everyone your goal is to comply with their rules and keep everyone safe. While there are some true morons out there behind the counter, your attitude has a great impact on the treatment you will receive.
Bill

I've never had to do that!

I even ask if they want me to show them it is unloaded and they all say no, just sign the slip and lock her back up.

I tend to fly with my pistol and a rifle almost everytime I fly...atleast my CCW pistol is in my checked baggage.

Wierd you were asked to do so.

be sure to check to make sure your rifle is on afterwards.. some people will respect your proptery and others wont..

>You do not need to disassmeble
>any rifle, and I haven't
>been asked to do that
>in over 100 flights with
>guns. Sign the "unloaded firearm"
>disclosure form and that is
>it. I do not remove
>bolts, stocks, or anything from
>the gun.
>You can put other items in
>with the rifle, as long
>as you don't exceed the
>weight limit. One particular case,
>the TuffPack, is specifically designed
>to hold clothing and other
>gear with your firearm. While
>not my favorite case, I've
>used it multiple times without
>question. I personally prefer the
>Pelican style / Browning travel
>vault type case, as I
>believe it provides the best
>protection for the firearm.
>
>That said, every ticket agent is
>a law unto themselves. Strangest
>issue I ever had was
>with an agent in SLC
>who insisted I had to
>sign the form declaring my
>bow was unloaded! Be careful
>you don't let some agent
>instruct you to do something
>clearly illegal, like one agent
>who once told me it
>was okay to put my
>ammo in my carryon. I
>knew better, and insisted it
>go in the checked bag
>as originally planned.
>Be polite, ask for a supervisor
>if necessary, and try to
>remind everyone your goal is
>to comply with their rules
>and keep everyone safe. While
>there are some true morons
>out there behind the counter,
>your attitude has a great
>impact on the treatment you
>will receive.
>Bill

Bill GREAT point I make often, ticket agent is a law unto themselves. SO MANY guys just figure if they do it right they are all set! NO NO NO!!!!!! I learned this the haaaard way once.

When we fly, we fill those cases up with gear! binocs, rangefinders, knives, shirts, you name it, if it fits we fill it. You get 50lbs, so why not...

Mntman

"Hunting is where you prove yourself"

Let me guess, you drive a 1 ton with oak trees for smoke stacks, 12" lift kit and 40" tires to pull a single place lawn mower trailer?

LAST EDITED ON Nov-30-12 AT 09:38AM (MST)[p]I only put my rifle and bullets and knives in my gun case. I carry on my bino's video camera, range finder. If they lose my rifle I don't want to lose my optics with it...

Government doesn't fix anything and has spent trillions proving it!!!
Let's face it...After Monday and Tuesday, even the calender says WTF!

There are a lot of anti-hunters in the world and I'm sure the TSA and the airlines have their proportional share. There is really nothing you can do about how their attitude will effect your equipment or your travel. I bought a new wheeled aluminum case for my trip to Alaska. Had no problems with the ticket agent. The TSA didn't repack it as well as they should, but that was okay. I watched the baggage handlers from the plane loading all my gear and they beat the sh!t out of my gun case. My gun case didn't make the transfer when I changed planes in Seattle and I spent a worrisome 7 hours waiting for the plane it was on to arrive. That case looked like it had travelled for years from just that one trip, scratched, dented and scraped, but it did the job. My rifles were right on when fired at camp. Good luck on your trips Randy and Don.

I always take the bolt out.

I have my ammo boxes in a sealed Pelican case with a TSA lock and this year and last year my TSA locks were ruined coming back into the states. Take extra TSA locks!!!!

+1 on taking out the bolt. Gives it a lower profile and less likely to be damaged. I have had TSA pull the foam out of the case and also ask me if the ammo was in the original case. Its reloaded ammo in plastic cases. I say yes without hesitation.
I use those small black Masterlocks and carry a couple extra just in case. Never had any real problems but they will beat the crap out of your stuff. I put various stickers on my case and write my last name in large letters w/a sharpie in several places to make it recognizable from a distance and unique. I wrap extra foam around the scope and carry on my rangefinder, binos, gps, camera, etc......

A lot depends if your in a red or blue state. Midland/Odessa, not a problem, Bethel,AK, easy. Tampa, Sea-Tac=PITA.

I usually remove the bolt and leave it next to the gun in the case, but i may have to re-think that approach. I could easily see a TSA bozo forgetting to put the bolt back in the case after inspection.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom