Airlines - Antlers/Luggage

Zim

Very Active Member
LAST EDITED ON Feb-09-11 AT 10:23AM (MST)[p]Anybody know the best airline to take right now as far as policy for taking antlers or extra baggage?

I searched the archives and Googled a few airlines but couldn't find much. I had heard Southwest was good. I saw one charging $150/rack I think Delta. Would be sheds so could possibly box them.

I don't know about any other airlines, but I went to texas in January on Southwest. They let me take my deer skull and rack with me on the airplane. It was pretty cool actually, lots of thumbs up and congrats. Even the pilot stoped me and we talked about the hunt before take off. Now keep in mind that was Texas. When I landed in Las Vegas on a layover to Utah, I got a lot of strange looks and pissed off faces.

you can always cut the skull if it was a kill, taxidermists hate it though. if they are sheds jus throw them in a double bag or suitcase after protecting points and so on and bring theme as luggage. Shipping works of course as well. I came back from AK and stuffed my brown bear hide in a box and paid 50 to bring it home as luggage, and then put my skull and wrapped up like a football in my duffle bag with clothes. (the bag smelled a little funny since i had killed the bear 10 days prior) Find the horn Goose!

Last year SouthWest told us that they don't fly hunting dogs no more so we ended up using United Airlines for the trip back to SD for pheasants.

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".

I just flew southwest and they only charged me $50 bucks for a third bag with antlers in it.

LAST EDITED ON Feb-09-11 AT 10:12PM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Feb-09-11 AT 10:12?PM (MST)

DELTA =

Don't
Expect
Luggage
To
Arrive

. . especially the way you packed it!

It's always an adventure!!!

Just came back from Texas and wondered the same thing about our deer racks. Would have had to buy another bag, then pay extra charge on Delta, plus they couldn't decide if it was $50 or $100 since we had multiple bags and guncases already.

Went to UPS in Uvalde and put all 4 WT racks in a 24"x24" box with bubble wrap and 3 bags of peanuts and shipped to Idaho with insurance for $80. Delivered in 5 days with no problem.

FireMarshallBill you can also use pieces of old garden hose. Anytime we ship antlers from our Taxidermy shop or get them shipped to us we put enough hose over the tip and them tape it to the horn. In doing so we have never had one broken. to Find the horn Goose!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom