Airlines and loose ammo

DonVathome

Very Active Member
Anyone have trouble lately traveling with loose ammo? TSA requires ammo to be in orginal container (at least they used too) I had truoble one time - have you in the last 2 years?

I would love to get my pack loaded and ready to go vs. keeping ammo in original boxes etc. After many trips it was only 1 time we had to repack it, anyone else recently?

They"ll take you out back and shoot you behind the ear. Dont try it!!!!!
On second thought maybe Don should stay athome.

I know you don't want to have a single loose 38 spcl round left in your carry on. I over looked one once. It was a bit uncomfortable for a few minutes. They don't have a sense of humor and do not accept apologies, no matter how sincere.

Carry on heck yes, but in checked bags?

I am looking forward to both my flights to/from NM in October, with a muzzleloader. Get sent through special scanner, most likely it trips and then the fun starts. With an ML it is tough to get all powder residue and "smoke" off clothes, case, gun etc.

Maybe I will stick some shot sabots in my friend carry on and let him go first!

LAST EDITED ON Sep-07-12 AT 06:57PM (MST)[p]You had better follow the requirements and keep the chit packed like they want it if you want to have a relatively peaceful flight. It won't take you five extra minutes when you get where you're going to get it into your pack for your hunt.

What about reloaded ammo?

4b1db2ac644136c4.jpg

LAST EDITED ON Sep-08-12 AT 05:03AM (MST)[p]Just try to keep the original box, or an original box. It is when it is put in a different container that they get suspicious and begin to question and search a little deeper.

+1 for Topgun. It is not worth the hassle to buck the system to try and prove a very small point.

HOOK 'EM!

Since I am frequently asked about my religion on this site and others, I have created a profile that explains my beliefs. If you are interested in finding out more about my faith, please visit the link below:

http://mormon.org/me/6RNQ/

You are REQUIRED to have the ammo in its original box or similar ammo box, no exceptions. If you try it, you will loose your ammo no questions...

Mntman

"Hunting is where you prove yourself"

I always throw a couple loose 45s in my pants pocket when the wife takes me to see the inlaws.
Haven't made the trip in awhile now.

>I always throw a couple loose
>45s in my pants pocket
>when the wife takes me
>to see the inlaws.
>Haven't made the trip in awhile
>now.

Don't you get tired of the deep cavity searches though?

I've never had an issue but I always make sure its in some suitable container. I think the regs actually dont say plastic is allowed but that is what I use - I reload all my own ammo and use the plastic boxes made for my caliber.

On a side note - has the TSA changed their inspections? Up until last year they always had to come and personally inspect my checked gun case. Last year it went right through to the baggage, and so did my buddy who flew from a different airport. Seems like the airline just get you to sign the unloaded tag and verify the case is locked and thats it.

huntfish..probably depends on which airport you originally fly out of.

Several years ago had TSA agent check my baggage at Dulles. He opened my hard plastic shell cases(have reloads but labeled them so it sort of looked like original ammo boxes) that were taped shut. He did not retape. When I checked baggage as I stayed over night in Joberg had a bag with loose ammo. Lucky I didn't get caught.

from the "Heartland of Wyoming"

Thanks guys, I lost $80 in loose ammo one time in AK, most times I have some loose ammo (in my daypack redy to go) or something loose where I lost the original box, but I got lucky those times. Kind of a silly law but I will obey it.

Because I reload, I put all my ammo for our Canadian adventure in plastic containers. I printed a computer label for them and the TSAs were fine with that. We did the same for my son and we both went through without incident.
Good Luck DonV

Another question, do you disassemble your rifle as much as possible? Most airlines require this (I do not think TSA does). I usually do not.

I only take the stock off my rifle because I have a short pelican case. I got the shorter case because i was concerned with going over the 62" max measurement of most airlines and the oveesize fees are pricey. I don't think you need to disassemble.

Thanks, I have read it in the past and been asked twice by person checking me in, who had no clue so I said it was broken down a much as it could be!

Most questions (I will start another thread). Ever have an issue taking other things in your rifle case (clothes, binos etc?).

This seems paranoid but I have a NIGHTMARE one time. Lady checking me in had to be an anti, is was a nightmare.

Issue is the rules the airline has are explained BUT the people checking you in each have their own idea what is allowed. Pulling out the airines regs I print off, and being nice, most times will still piss them off since you are pointing out they are wrong. Things go downhill fast from there.

Some TSA person in Wichita, Kansas has ten rounds of .300 Win Mag ammo that was in my ammo pouches last December. I was not aware of the rule.

No exceptions. They took them. When I gave them a funny look, they showed me the rule. I did not argue, but did tell them in dozens of trips, that is how I always carry some of my ammo and this was the first time the question was raised.

Live and learn.

"Hunt when you can - You're gonna' run out of health before you run out of money!"

Double check all your carry on bags/jackets ! Last year my wife had a .223 cartridge in a carry on she didn't know was in there and she had to go out back with them and wait for the Kansas City , MO police department to come to the airport and check things out and then do a back ground check on her. They did hold the plane for her though. They told her about a wife of a prominate business man that had to be arrested because they found a hunting knife in her carry on that her husband had been using during hunting season and she didn't know it was in there. The police dept said that stuff happens alot this time of year.

Keeping ammo in an original box or plastic MTM type ammo box makes sense. It is a safety issue, for goodness sake. You don't want the ammo to be loose, where it could conceivably be discharged when struck by another object.Watch the baggage monkeys throwing your bags around, and just imagine if a primer could be struck. Putting you ammo in a cardboard or plastic box, whether reloaded or factory, isn't a big deal, and will prevent further restrictions on traveling hunters. The "original box" language is just intended to mean a box designed to hold ammo, like the box ammo comes in at the local WalMart. No one cares if you use a similar, but different box for the ammo, and that is why the plastic boxes are permitted.
Trying to save the few seconds it takes to remove ammo from the box when you get in the field is silly. Obey this rule, intended to make the flight saferfor everyone, and you will have no issue.
Bill

Just put your boxed ammo in your gun case and lock it up...Pretty simple. I carry on my bino's, range finder, spotting scope an video camera in my back pack. I put bullets, knives, shooting sticks in my locked gun case.

Government doesn't fix anything and has spent trillions proving it!!!
Let's face it...After Monday and Tuesday, even the calender says WTF!

Don,

Just ask Chuck to put the loose ammo in his front pocket and tell him everything will be just fine.............

I've never had problems taking other gear in my rifle case, I've done it every trip and need to in order to take all the gear I need. Ive taken some or all the foam out too. When the TSA would search the case upon check in it would sometimes be a PITA for them to get all the gear back in because they were anal about looking at everything, but I don't think they do that procedure anymore. Seems the rifle gets locked up and go straight through with regular checked bags.

Airline baggage rules and handlers basically suck! They lost my luggage 1 time and I will never trust them again.

The last 3 trips I have made to S.Dakota and AK, I shipped my gear UPS and insured it for 3 times it's value.

It gets there before I do, ain't all dented up and I have zero hassle from airlines, nor any lost luggage BS!

"I could eat a bowl of Alphabet Soup and
sh!t a better argument than that!"

Just take a print out of the TSA rules with you. My experience is that many TSA agents do not know the rules...and I have pointed it out to them.

Any container meant for ammunition if fine
Guns do not need to be broke down.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom