Air Skinning A Deer

Nothing like giving a buck a good blow job. Plum stupid if you ask me. Who in the hell takes a deer to a gas station to field dress a deer is a idiot. Dumb dumb dumb. Not nocking the post, but those idiots are idiots.

LAST EDITED ON Dec-31-10 AT 10:56AM (MST)[p]Ok,
amusing -but a gas station? Nice for everyone driving by to see!
But the real problem lies in contaminants such as water vapor,micro-organisms,rust scale,oil aerosols etc. No way I would put that on my deer meat..My Buck knife does the job and it's clean.

i actually tried that once and didnt see any great help in cleaning a deer. it did make a 180 pound deer look like it weighed 400 pounds though.

LAST EDITED ON Jan-02-11 AT 09:08AM (MST)[p]For being such a great invention it sure looked like those two guys were tugging as much as if the air hadn't been used!!! The secret to easy skinning is to do it ASAP while it's still warm. In the time they showed that I could have had a deer skinned if it was still warm with no more tugging on the hide than what they showed after the blow job!!!

Didn't look like they had been field dressed. So how will it work on a deer properly taken care of in the field. It didn't look that cold out there so I wonder if the meat is still good withe the gutpile rotting in there.

This is how I was taught to take care of squirrels as a kid after returning from a squirrel hunt. Find your bullet hole and hit it with the air hose for a split second and the fur will slide right off. If your hunting partner has never seen it done before he'll get a kick out of what a squirrel looks like when it swallows a beach ball.

I've got to admit it never even crossed my mind to try it on a big game animal.... but if it has the same effect on a deer cape as it does a squirrel hide, I could see where it would definitely make it easier to remove the cape. I assume you could still hit most of the head and neck if the animal was field dressed in a manner that leaves the cape plenty long.

You won't see me buying this product, but if someone told me this was common practice for some taxidermists I wouldn't be surprised.

The wind chime pissed me off so bad I said f@#$ this idiot and went onto a different post. Using air on coyotes works awesome bu ton deer come on that is the lazy way. F@#$%^&* chimes!!!!!!!!

travishunter3006---Yes, as soon as I can do it! Out in Wyoming we do the gutless method right on the spot, then quarter them and backpack them out whether it's deer, elk, or antelope. I was by myself up at my cabin in northern Michigan this year and shot a 6 point whitetail quite a ways back in the boonies late one afternoon. I gutted the buck and then skinned out the hindquarters with him laying on the ground to get some weight off of the carcass. Then I took the hindquarters off and put them in my backpack to take back to camp. I hung the rest of him up high enough on my ladder stand to keep the coyotes off, finished the skinning, and went back the next morning to get the front quarters, backstraps, and neck meat. That all went into my backpack and I carried the head in. That's the first one I've done like that of approximately 75 deer I've shot up there and being 63 years old now I'll do all of them like that from now on unless I've got some young guys in camp to haul them in!!!

TOPGUN
Have you ever noticed any Drying in the meat? I let them hang to cure for 3 days and skin them, but i hold off on the skinning because i have always been worried aout loosing any meat due to drying during the curing process. with allof the deer you have killed what has been your experience? or any one else reading this, what has been yours?

Gut mine immediately, but if I can hang it in a cool place, I like to leave the skin on mine and let it hang for 7-10 days. Skin it and cut it up the same day.

thunter, From what I have read and heard lately is that there is really no reason to let your deer hang/cure. I think it's one of them things like cutting the throat to let it bleed out that people still think need to be done. It make work for beef, but I don't think it helps much if any on a deer. I'm sure I got somone riled up by now. I'll try to find an article on it.:)

LAST EDITED ON Jan-07-11 AT 04:39PM (MST)[p]There is probably a little more shrinkage and drying, but I feel it is really insignificant compared to leaving the hide on. I have hung them as long as two weeks in a cold storage facility that I had access to years ago, but for the last 25 or 30 years I usually have them quartered and on ice or in the frig. within 2 or 3 days, if not actually cut up and in the freezer within a week of when it was shot. Incidentally, meat is not going to "cure" as you call it in 3 days. It takes quite a lot longer than that for enzymes to go to work and age meat the way you are talking about. When you start aging meat for a couple weeks or more is when you will deal with significant drying and shrinkage on the exterior of the carcass.

I know my friends buck was nasty as ever this year after we quartered it up and took care of the meat properly there in the field then back at camp. I don't believe in cutting a deer's throat. I believe this is a wive's tale. But hanging for three days to me gives the deer enough time to bleed the rest of the way out, or begin to cure, or maybe it doesn't have any effect at all. All I know is the deer and elk I shot this year i let hang for (deer) 3 days and the elk for 4, and by golly i have never had such tender and delicious meat.

I have a cold room that can keep temps at about 35 to 45 degrees and hang deer and elk up to two weeks and even a little more a few times and I can tell you without a doubt it makes a HUGE difference in the tenderness of the meat.

It does however dry the outside of the meat and if you cut that away you will lose meat and a few times when I went a little long the meat was a little dry in the pan but still extremely tender and tasty. My favorite is about 8 to 12 days as there is not significant loss of meat and the meat is very tender and tasty.

The breakdown and tenderizing of game that is aged is NOT A WIVES TALE! All meat goes through this process if aged the trick is in temperature to keep meat from spoiling. I have also used an old refrigerator very effectively on quartered deer just use it without the racks and drawers in place and use the top rack as a hanger for the quarters.

Bill

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom