air conditioner

E

elkantler75

any pointers would be super helpful!

2002 mercury sable 3 liter v6

i am going to attempt an a/c compressor switchout. the system is charged but the pulley is locked and it snapped a belt. i have the parts but am i getting in over my head?

WHEN YOU GET YOURS DONE YOU CAN FIX MY GROCERY GETTER 98 MERCURY SABLE!!!

HIRED A SHOP TO FIX IT TWICE!!!

WORKED GREAT ON THE WAY HOME BOTH TIMES!!!

THE NEXT MORNING BOTH TIMES I HEARD SOMETHING POP!!!

QUIT WORKING AGAIN BOTH TIMES!!!

ACTED LIKE A RELIEF VALVE POPPED ON IT BUT I'M NOT SURE???

PAY CLOSE ATTENTION TO HOW MUCH FREON THE SYSTEM TAKES & DON'T OVER-CHARGE IT!!!

MAKE SURE WHEN YOU BREAK THE FITTINGS LOOSE YOU CAPTURE ALL THE OLD FREON SO IT DOESN'T GO IN TO THE ATMOSPHERE,OBAMA WOULDN'T LIKE THAT!!!

DON'T KNOW IF YOUR 3.0 IS THE 24 VALVE DOHC DURA-TECH OR NOT???

MINE IS & THEY DIDN'T LEAVE MUCH ROOM UNDER THE HOOD!!!

YOU MIGHT WANNA KEEP YOUR WIFE INSIDE SO SHE DON'T HEAR YOU USING THE F WORD WHILE WORKING ON THAT F O R D !!!

GOOD LUCK & LET US KNOW HOW IT GOES???

SOMTIMES TO GET IN ON A PISSCUTTER IT TAKES SOME STEALTH!!!
I THANK MY FRIEND Feleno FOR THE STEALTH CAMO!!!

4a25cb9a7105a720.jpg

REMEMBER!!!

THERE'S ONLY ONE bobcat!!!

thanks BoBcat! if all goes well i will let you know.

if all goes to hell i will still let you know.

they put some funky lime green shite in with the freon? is that so they can track you down after you dump it?

LOL!!!

I DON'T THINK THEY CAN TRACK YOUR FREON,YET!!!

4a25cb9a7105a720.jpg

REMEMBER!!!

dont breath to much of that freon, it will spin you for a loop!( i hear it can kill you, but i know it will get you stoned!)

Air conditioner? My wife built a fire in the woodstove this morning. Cold breeze comming off the ocean in NW Kali.

Obama doesn't like woodstoves either.

Good luck with it!

Eel

Take it to a certified mechanic who has a good reputation with A/C. You not only have to change the compressor, but also the accumulator and orifice tube. Plus you need to get the system flushed to remove any contaminants. I'm a manager of a Napa Auto Parts store and if these aren't done, (none of the parts stores, whether it be Napa, Carqest, Autozone, Oreily, Parts Plus, or any other one,) will warranty the compressor unless you have proof that you changed all these items. If you dont, Then you have to buy another compressor, accumulator, and orifice tube and start the process all over again. Take it to a mechanic and make sure you get a warranty with the work, That way if anything goes wrong, the repair shop has to fix it, not you.

>any pointers would be super helpful!
>
>
> 2002 mercury sable
>3 liter v6
>
> i am going
>to attempt an a/c compressor
>switchout. the system is charged
>but the pulley is locked
>and it snapped a belt.
>i have the parts but
>am i getting in over
>my head?

do you have a vacuum pump?

>
>do you have a vacuum pump?
>

my next door neighbor does and i can use his. he removes a/c systems all the time for his derby cars.

does a vacuum cleaner work?

i have an old kerby and if that works i will use it.

LMFAO!!!

GOOD WAY TO FIX A POS KIRBY THOUGH!!!

shedfinder IS RIGHT ON!!!

THERE'S ALOT OF KNOW HOW THAT MOST PEOPLE DON'T KNOW!!!

SOMETIMES IT'S CHEAPER TO HIRE A PRO!!!

NOW MIGHT BE ONE OF THEM TIMES!!!

GOOD LUCK!!!

4a25cb9a7105a720.jpg

REMEMBER!!!

ok, i decided to take your advice and leave it to the pros. no sense in screwing up a quality P.O.S.

NOW PREPARE YOURSELF TO GET BENT OVER!!!

LOL!!!

I HOPE THEY DON'T WORK YOU OVER TOO HARD!!!

4a25cb9a7105a720.jpg

REMEMBER!!!

So what was the final cost? Did you get a re-manufactured part from a parts store or a new original from a dealer? I have a similar situation with a '97 Olds Cutlass and it is freaking miserable here in TX w/o AC.

UTROY
Proverbs 21:19 (why I hunt!)

LAST EDITED ON Jul-19-09 AT 05:21PM (MST)[p]take bess's advice...screw the ac...he even made a clip for youtube....

great post/pic, thanks for sharing

JB
497fc2397b939f19.jpg

i just tried that mixer idea and it seems to work great until you get about 100 ft. down the road.

the parts cost 600.00 and then 8 hrs of labor at shop rate. guessing around 1500-2000.00

HEY elk???

HERE'S WHAT YOU GOTTA THINK ABOUT???

DO I PUT 1500.00-2000.00 IN MY 98 GROCERY GETTER???

MY GROCERY GETTER IS ONLY WORTH ABOUT 1,000.00 ACCORDING TO THE CAR THIEFS WITH 600.00 WORTH OF NEW TIRES ON HER!!!

A FEW YEARS AGO I SAID I'D DRIVE HER TILL SHE BLOWS & LET MY KIDS FINISH IT OFF RATHER THAN GIVE IT TO A THIEF!!!

SHE DON'T WANNA BLOW,ESPECIALLY ANY COOL AIR,LOL!!!

YOU BET I'D OF LIKED SOME COOL AIR IN SLC YESTERDAY,GUARANTEED IT WAS OVER 100 DEGREES!!!

THEY'VE ABOUT MADE IT TO WHERE THE CARS ARE THROW A WAYS OR TRADEABLES!!!

PROBLEM IS THEY WON'T GIVE YOU JACK FOR THEM ON A TRADE & IF THEY DO THEY JUST JACK THE PRICE OF THE NEW ONE UP TO MAKE IT LOOK GOOD!!!

IF I COULD JUST BLOW THIS LITTLE BASTARD IT WOULD BE ALL OVER WORTH!!!

DON'T KNOW IF YOU HAVE THE 24 VALVE DOHC OR NOT???

THESE ARE TRUE HEMI ENGINES ENGINEERED BY YAMAHA,THATS RIGHT YAMAHA,NOT FORD!!!

LITTLE F'R OF MINE TURNS OVER 6,000 RPM EVERYDAY OF ITS LIFE & STILL DON'T USE NO OIL!!!

TOO BAD FORD PUT A POS AIR CONDITIONER ON IT!!!

MAYBE THE JAPS COULD BUILD ONE THAT WILL LAST???

4a25cb9a7105a720.jpg

REMEMBER!!!

LAST EDITED ON Jul-19-09 AT 07:14PM (MST)[p]that is the problem, i cannot see spending the money on it but i also can't afford to replace the damn thing. sure wish someone would just hit and run the thing. oh well, at least my backyard will look like every other backyard in my neiborhood with half a dozen junk cars. ha! i kid,i kid... i will drive it without the a/c for now.

and by the way, it is dohc 24 valve.

That was my decision too - really, the repair costs would be worth more than the value of the car. It sucks, but then I can suck it up!

UTROY
Proverbs 21:19 (why I hunt!)

1500 is about right. I sure am glad I did mine myself last yr for about 500 and thats after buying a 100 dollar set of 134a gauges. My compressor basically imploded and sent metal filings throughout the entire system. Its still working good and wasn't any big deal to do.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom