Air bags vs Overload springs

Wiszard

Long Time Member
I'm deciding to keep my 2008 F150 for another couple of years. In order to handle my quad a bit better, I figure I'd stiffen up the rear end. Overload springs seem like the obvious choice due to the simplicity and cost of them. Am I missing anything? What are the pros and cons to both air bags vs overload springs?

Please no disgusting comments about "stiffening up the rear end". :)

Steve

Cancer doesn't discriminate...don't take your good health for granted because it can be gone in a heartbeat. Please go back and read the last line. This time really understand what it says.

My 2007 cummins work truck has them. I like them. Going down bumpy roads I run 30 psi. Nice smooth ride. Then pulling trailers I adjust my psi to make my truck level. The downside. I have to refill a couple pounds every week or 2. Whoever installed them used tie-wire and rubbed through the 1/4inch hose. So with leak hitting the bumpy roads in the oil patch made it super super super rough ride.

Other than that I'm fairly happy. Thinking about putting them on my personal rig

I have the overload springs in my Ford F-250. Normal ride when I do not have any heavy weight on the back end. When pulling the 26 ft. R.V. the overloads keep everything more level. Same when hauling heavy weight in the bed.

Nice part I do not have to worry about adjusting air pressure to suit the load and the air bags developing a leak down the line and having to be replaced.

RELH

LAST EDITED ON Feb-22-14 AT 02:21AM (MST)[p]Wiz, My truck is a bit older, a bit heavier duty, and a Chev, but still a half ton rig and similar enough that my thoughts on the issue may have merit. Mine has overloads from the factory and even so, she sags in the rear with my pop-up camper on and all the stuff that i might as well be going off to war with inside. Those overloads really help with something like a yard of sand or a big load of green firewood but anybody can see that you have a good load on even for them to start to help.

I had Firestone airbags, About $450. installed, put on a couple years ago on the rear of my HD 3/4 ton utility truck along with the existing factory overloads. Even with the overloads on my work truck, she was sagging down in the rear because of the heavy stuff on that truck. The overloads helped,.. but the bags stabilized and flat leveled her out big time, easy as pie. They also instantly made her ride better, especially cutting down swerve or lean on curves when driving near or slightly over the speed limit.

So, when i can, now i want air bags on the half ton camper truck. For the money, they really make a difference in ride and if you want your truck to look level, even when heavily loaded, i think even more so that the overloads.

IMO, if you can't or don't care to do both, skip the overloads, bags are the way to go.

Joey

"It's all about knowing what your firearms practical limitations are and combining that with your own personal limitations!"

I like the airbag option as I can go down to 15lbs when not needed and have a smoother ride than the heavy springs all the time.....

A/my F350 is a rough ride most anytime though-----

Robb

Airbag kits outsell overloads about a 100 to 1 in my shop.
We do about 7-8 airbag kits a month installed. If you don't like the manual fill option add a air compressor with air tank(with air hose to fill quad tires and such) to it and never look back.

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".
>[Font][Font color = "green"]Life member of
>the MM green signature club.[font/]

I have the air bags and the only thing I don't like about them is Firestone says they will lose couple of pounds per week. One of mine is about that the other stays up pretty good. It kind of pisses me off having to check them and adjust them.
One thing you have to remember is when someone jacks the truck up you have to do it at the axle or you can damage the bags. Ron

JUDAS Wisz!

Should the Decision really be this Tough?

This?

3385springs.jpg

Or This?

8382punk.jpg

[font color="red"]From My Smokin Cherry Red Hot Barrel & My Dead Cold Hands I Shall go down Fighting for American Pride & Rights!
I Know I'm Out Numbered by Pusssies & Brainwashed Democrats that'll Throw Their Hands in the air & I know I can't Lick the U.S. Military by Myself when they Turn on us but I'll make
you one Guarantee,They'll be Enduring a Situation where I Hope to Hell All Americans become True Americans once again & Stand up for their Rights!

There's not enough give in those rock-hard babies!

Cancer doesn't discriminate...don't take your good health for granted because it can be gone in a heartbeat. Please go back and read the last line. This time really understand what it says.

I still drive my '97 F150 with 250K miles on her.
The air bags were the option that my buddy (knows what he's talking about) recommended to me the year I got the truck.

The first set wore/rotted out so I just replaced them last year. I'm good for another 250K miles!

They're the cat's mew even with my rack, 2 quads and pulling my little camp trailer! When fully loaded I run at about 75psi.

Zeke

JUDAS Zeke!

75 PSI?

[font color="red"]From My Smokin Cherry Red Hot Barrel & My Dead Cold Hands I Shall go down Fighting for American Pride & Rights!
I Know I'm Out Numbered by Pusssies & Brainwashed Democrats that'll Throw Their Hands in the air & I know I can't Lick the U.S. Military by Myself when they Turn on us but I'll make
you one Guarantee,They'll be Enduring a Situation where I Hope to Hell All Americans become True Americans once again & Stand up for their Rights!

"75 PSI?"

I was wondering about that myself. I've never had the need to put over 50 PSI in my bags. I do believe they say -0- to 100 PSI

I was out for a cruise yesterday and was paying attention to how my heavy utility rig took the curves at speed while pulling a long uphill stretch. Before, i'd have to slow down a bit on some curves and because so, would eventually have to drop down a gear. With the bags though, i corner way better, can keep my speed and RPM's up, no need to drop down to a lower gear.

Joey

"It's all about knowing what your firearms practical limitations are and combining that with your own personal limitations!"

Zeke must take the Kitchen Sink with Him Too!:D

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom