Air Bags? 84 GMC

sageadvice

Long Time Member
My question is similar to Mtmuleys but i need to bring the back end of my 2500 series GMC service truck up to level. Being a plumber, i keep full trays of black, galvi, and copper fittings, and also full trays of the different sized nipples. i also carry a full sized pipe threading machine(heavy) and the hand tools for the same job, plus several hundred pounds of different kinds of pipe in the bed and on the rack, about all that i would need to do a basic service call to most any home...lots of weight that has the back end of my nice rig drooping maybe 3".

I've heard that there are places that can swap out leaf springs with a higher arched set and i've been told that air bags would also do the trick. Even with all the weight i'm toting around, i don't really notice the weight on the rig other than the rearward rake.

What would be the best way, and most cost effective other than carry less weight :), to remedy the rake situation? Opinions on Air bags also welcome! Thanks!!

Joey

Air Bags all the way!
I was busting the springs right off the Belcher after we put the service bed on it & loaded her down,she averages 11,000-12,000 depending on what I've got throwed in the back,not bad for a single rear wheeled rig.
One of the first/best things I did to it.
Problem with these rigs is they just keep getting heavier,a guy just keeps putting more BS in them on a daily basis,mine won't hold any more,If I put something in somethings comming out (or it won't fit),usually just temporary though,then I put it back in.
I'd lots rather have a Dually again but I sure don't miss dealing with the Fricken DOT now!

Joey, + 1 on the Air Bags. That is really the only right way to address your issues.

Another option if you are on a budget would be Timbren Bump Stops. They run about half of what a set of Air Bags will cost you and do the same basic job.

Joey, I know several guys that use the air bag system for additional load capability. A great way to go for the cost and function. I also know there are systems that are completely adjustable from the cab of the truck if you need the ability to compensate for various loads. I see your man Artest took care of business last night. But...... I'm pulling for the Suns. Have a good weekend. mtmuley

LAST EDITED ON May-28-10 AT 06:53PM (MST)[p]Thanks guys! I know what you mean about adding to the rig! most times that i need 2 to do a job, i get 4. Very seldom do i have to go to the supplier to do a service call unless real oddball stuff...

I see several different Air Bag Kits out there. Most seem to go for about $250. Is one brand or style better than another?

Again, Thanks for the help guys!!

PS. Thanks Muley! I can live with a set lift i think, unless i unload the threader. Yeah, i do root for Artest. He's a warrior but he's been playing hurt, bad fingers and can't hardly jump anymore but nobody wants to win more that that guy does and his "D" is still pretty good taking a lot of pressure off the other guys. i root for artest but i'm not a Lakers fan...go figure!

Joey

Firestone airbags is one of the better bags out there(IMO) if you go that way.
A good set of Helper springs and Timbren Bump stops would be the first thing to put on your truck because if they worked you will save a ton of money and headaches.

If you put airbag on your truck DON'T run your air bags without air in them because they will rub and put a hole in them and you are then looking at about a $100 for a replacement bag plus the labor to take off the bad bag and then putting on the new bag.

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".

"Being a plumber, i keep full trays of black, galvi, and copper fittings, and also full trays of the different sized nipples...."

We need photos!:)

Eel

"We need photos!"

I though maybe i hadn't worded that part exactly right :) Good Call!!!

Gator, Thanks for your excellent input!! I had heard that as well!

Joey

Joey
That what we do also.Hitches,Mufflers, quick disconnects,airbags,5th wheels,Baseplates,towbars
Goosenecks,liners,axles,drums,hubs,welding we are the largest dealer in trailer parts in the high desert.

Joey I installed a set of Firestone airbags on my truck. The truck has a leveling kit to so when I would hook on the fifth wheel the back would sag a bit. I ran the lines just inder the rear bumper so filling up was no sweat. Guess you could say I was pleased with them.

Gator, Too bad you're in Southern Kali! As a general rule, i try an avoid anywhere south of Sac.(the price of gas :)) Thanks for the info...and here all this time i thought you guys were just the absolute best in the West in any matter of steel building construction... :)

Rugarm, Thanks Guy!!! I'm sold!! I'm having the truck detailed in the morning. There is two years of cottonwood sap, this n that, on her plus some neglect on my part in keeping it looking good. I have a good friend that's fantastic at giving my neglected looking truck back to me looking brand new sharp without a scratch on it...$200. He was a paint and body man before moving here, It's worth it!!! Air bags next!!

Joey

Just a follow-up, i did buy and have installed, a set of Firestone Air Helper Springs (air bags). Total cost of buying them and having them installed was a little over $500.

They seem to be working well and with 40 lbs in each bag, can go up to 100 lbs, my truck is now riding great and as level as can be.

Side note, My Mechanic mounted the air filler zirks right back between the duel taillights on each side of the utility bed... out of the way yet handy if/when i need to adjust the pressure.

Thanks for the help and suggestions guys!!!

Joey

Good choice Joey. I think you made your beautiful truck that much more functional. I bet you do your job the same way you take care of your truck.

Eel

About every couple months I check the air pressure.
Sometimes they hold & sometimes they are down a bit.
I run mine at 40 psi also.
You're good for 11-12K now sage,load her down!}>}>}>

I love not acting my age,
Damn I love my NASCAR race,
And Hell yes I love my Truck!

Thanks Bessy but i'm hoping to keep her where she is!

Was wondering how long, yrs or miles with reasonable use, these things last? She only has 87K on her now.

Eel, Kind of you to say! I do get a bit messy at times especially when i'm on my customers dime. But my old truck is very functional and looks sharp, that is important to me.

Joey

sage,
I don't really know how long they'll last?
Right at 7 years now & 215,000 miles,never a problem with them yet,just have to re-juice them up with air once in a while.
Just a note:It doesn't take only a shot of air,I seen a JACKASS at an oil lube place blow a guys air bag out,punk-ass kid that didn't know any better.

Just thought I'd warn you,they don't hold much.

I love not acting my age,
Damn I love my NASCAR race,
And Hell yes I love my Truck!

Joey I still do the steel Building too.I'm Mutli-tasking LOL
GET the best air gauge you can find up there and use it at least one a week checking to see if you are losing any air out of those bags, NEVER run those bags without air they will rub and then you have a hole and need to buy another bag. Glad you did the firestone I think they are the best for the money and $500 was a good deal.

Thanks Bessy!!

Gator, Thanks again! I got the set that the bag and bracket sits right on top of the leaf spring. The existing u-bolts, according to my wrench, were sticking up too high to allow the lower bracket to sit down in place. The wernch had to get a cutting wheel and chop off a inch or two of each bolt to make the bag set work. Also, the box came short 2 of the 4 "1/2" bracket straps" so he fabricated a couple straps outa something handy to make do.. I'll call the dealer Monday and get them sent out.

Other than the kit being short the 2 straps, all the materials seemed of very high quality. I'm just glad it's done! :)

Joey

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom