Aggressive Dogs

TripleK

Long Time Member
Anyone had a problem with a really aggressive dog? Ever figure out what made him/her that way? My friend just had her border collie put down because he was overly aggressive. He even bit my husband back in March. He didn't like men but then he bit my friend's 6 year old son and that was IT. He got sent back to the breeder and attacked the breeder and her husband so he was put down.

But this was a dog who was properly socialized, had obedience training, a great breeder, great owners, was neutered...everything a dog needs for a good chance. He just had a screw loose or something. Or something scared him at some time and he had a fear of men but then to go after a kid he's been around for a year and a half like that??? She had even contacted a pet psychic to see what was up w/him.

Any thoughts, ideas?? Anyone w/experience?

Poor thing was probably mistaken for a "coon" or a "skunk" at some point in its life and attacked by a crazy woman.

RUS

TripleK;

I can tell you what my K-9 trainer & German shepherd breeder told me about so called aggressive dogs.
They are either made that way by humans, or they have a screw loose. If the dog was not mistreated and socialized the right way, it probably was born with it's aggressive behavior.
My breeder felt this was common with certain American breeds that are bred here for "Show" qualities instead of their working qualities. In Short he felt it was too much in-breeding while trying for the confirmation looks that is needed to win dog shows. You end up with the show quality dog, but it may have some mental quirts that may not be good.
He preferred to import his german shepards from Germany, where they still breed for working dog quality and cross breed them with his American line. He turned out some darn good sheperds that did not have "mental" problems that would make them untrustworthy. My K-9 would rip your arm off on command, but when not on the job, most persons whould doubt me when I told them the dog was attack trained. This was due to the dog's loving gentle nature with humans, and the dog was very protective of children. I would demo the dog at schools, call the dog out of a full attack, and let kids run up to the dog and love on the dog. some of the smaller kids would pull the dog's tail & ears and that dog never even growled at a kid.
I had a female friend that would act as the aggressor and my dog would hit her so hard that she got knocked to the ground everytime while the dog was trying to rip her arm off. when she would come over to the house, my dog would jump up on her lap wanting her to love on him and no one else would belive that dog could love on her like that and turn around and attack her so violenty if I gave the command to the dog.
Not all K-9s can be trusted like this, I have seen about 4-5 american bred dogs either attempt or did attack their own handler while being shown at police K-9 trials. Three of these dogs where from the same breeder in central CA. I would have shot any of those dogs for that on the spot. They were a lawsuit waiting to happen.
I do believe that too much in-breeding along the same lines can cause dogs to have "Mental" quirts like it does in humans if they are inbred too much. Most american breeders will not agree with this, but then they have a product to sell also.

RELH

LAST EDITED ON Oct-12-07 AT 01:48PM (MST)[p]A pet psychic? Should have called Ceasar Millan the Dog Whisperer. He could have gotten to the bottom of it.

Its fair chase, or its foul!

LAST EDITED ON Oct-12-07 AT 04:17PM (MST)[p]The dog could have been in pain. I don't believe many dogs have a "screw loose". They are made to be aggressive by humans or something happens to make them become aggressive. This dog sounds like the latter. If they took it through all the behavioral training and other socializations, then one day it attacked someone, something happened to that dog.

For example, there was a male DD(deutch drahthaar) at a breed show. Bit one of the judges. Out of the blue. Another judge thought, I will handle this. 9 stitches for him too. After the third guy got bit. Nobody freaked out and wanted to shoot him. They let him settle down. It was a behavior totally not seen by this dog through all of the previous tests and whatnot. The owner said that he had just been bred, and the dog seemed to have get ancy when the judges touch felt his hind end legs and muscles. Somehow, this dog had injured his penis and was in pain.

Something to think about before cashing one in.

Our neighbor (long since moved away) had a very aggressive dog. It would stay on their front porch until somebody walked by their house. Then he would run out barking and snarling to that person. To my knowledge he never bit anybody, but he would run right out into the street and get about 6" from you with teeth showing.

My parents live about a block from us so I used to walk to their house, and of course I had to walk down the road past the dog. One day I saw a little girl riding her bicycle past the neighbors house and the dog ran out at her. It scared her so bad she wrecked her bike and got all skinned up on the road. I called the neighbor and told him about the little girl. His attitude was that his dog is very protective of his property and he couldn't do anything about it.

The more I thought about it the more pissed I got! So I called him back up and said I was going to visit my parents. I was going to be packing a shotgun and if his dog ran out into the street after me I was going to kill it. And he knew I meant it!

From that day on, the dog was tied up on their front porch. I don't know what caused it to be aggressive. Don't really care.

Eel

Eel,

Thats how we do it down here. I used to run some sheep
when I was a kid, and the damned dogs would get into
them every once in a while. I'd shoot the heck out of
them.

A dog ever does that, you'll never break him of it.

I broke several with a .22 magnum Winchester Lever.

I LOVE dogs. Fletchy Waynes my boy.......

But when they go to kill'n livestock.
It's all overwith but the cry'n......

lrv

My Mom had a Akida yrs ago that when he got excited he flipped out and got extremely aggressive. One day the neighbor caught him trying to kill her Grand Champion pregnant ##### and probably the only thing that saved her was the neighbor interfering by jumping over the fence and distracting him. The neighbor said that dog locked in on him and he swears if he hadn't have got back over the fence in time it would have killed em. The dog had completely flipped out and forgot all about the pregnant dog so she got away ok. Turns out the dog had a form of epilepsy.

Hooked on Coooooossss

Maybe you're a democrate, and deserve to be
attacked by a dog........

not sure, .....but sure as hell wonder.

By the way,

Found any good bucks this year.

would love to see pics.

Your Friend

Larry

Maybe you can get by with that with a show dog at a dog show. when you attack train a dog, and later that fully attack trained dog starts to demostrate severe abnormal behavior. such as attacking his own handler, you have very little choice but to put the dog down, or pen him for the rest of his life to prevent any future unprevoked attack on any human being.
If you fail to do so, and that dog does attack and injure someone, here in CA. you can be held liable and face severe civil and criminal action. We had two attorneys in the bay area who were convicted of manslaughter or 2nd. degree homicide for allowing their large dogs to attack a tenant in their building. They had prior knowledge that the dogs had demostrated agressive behavior, was also attacked trained, and failed to keep the dogs away from other persons. I believe, not sure, The dog was on a lease at the time it attacked and killed the woman. Those two attorneys are now in prison.
Sometime to ponder, if that dog, who bit three judges at the show, should ever bite someone else, a child for example, and it comes out in court of the prior behavior, the dog owner and breeder better kiss the farm goodbye because their will be a new owner if they do not have a big insurance policy,
Do not get me wrong, I love dogs, but I feel that the welfare of humans must have priorty over keeping a dog that displays agressive behavior that can be abnormal from the average animal.
As for the dogs here that went after their own handler, two diverted at the last minute, the third did not and nearly broke the officer-handler's arm. All three dogs were from the same breeder. All three dogs demostrated abnormal behavior and were from the same genetic line. I still believe they had a Screw loose with that line.

RELH

LAST EDITED ON Oct-12-07 AT 09:59PM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Oct-12-07 AT 09:58?PM (MST)

I will make this short, I had to to put down a dog who I loved with all my heart and now after reading some of these posts I would have had tests done and look into things before I EVER put another dog down, because I wonder now if I made the correct descion. Maybe I did, maybe I didn't, but I had to do what I thought was right and now I sit here tonight and wonder if it was the right thing to do!!!!!!!! If you ever have or had a dog or feel for him or her the way my family does then do what is right and go through all means that you can to make sure it is the correct thing to do...... Because you never know!!!!
Good dog or bad atleast give them the chance.
471042175d59676c.jpg

The dog on the right the mixed mutt was the dog we put down and now I wonder if it was the right thing to do..................... Cheif we will always love you!!!!!!
CW

LAST EDITED ON Oct-13-07 AT 07:43PM (MST)[p]Big dogs; big problems, little dogs; little problems, here is my miss lilly, probably the only friend I have left! lol

4711721b33b76895.jpg

Nothing hurts worse than having to put a pet down. Been there done that!

RUS

Russ...

Stop that chit....

I dont want to hear no'mor of it....

Rus.....

Reach down there, and grab them, big'ol boot staps...

And Yank the everliving crap out of them.....

Do it .......NOW.....

You hear me...???

You better...

Larry! miss lilly is fine. I was refering to another good friend "bud", that was hard when he went down. Miss lilly is the one that want's a weiner dog for a buddy. (My wife inform's me she's not so sure)

RUS

It seems as though there are two different mentalities towards dogs (and animals in general) surfacing here. One half is the more patient "nurture the dog" attitude and the other is the more pragmatic "protect the people" attitude.

RELH is right when talking about dogs trained to attack. When they attack humans, even their own handler, then it is our fault because we made them that way and we must bear the responsibility. It would be great to say "Oh give the dog a chance" but unfortunately, you aren't poing to overcome their training without endangering other people and it just isn't worth the risk. When they attack kids - forget it, they are toast - just send them to Michael Vicks's house in Virginia. I don't believe in second chances for dogs (or people for that matter) who hurt kids maliciously.

lve1243 is right concerning dogs in sheep too. Kill them then. No second chances because that results in more lost livestock. Sorry but then it is a matter of money. Which costs more, a sheep or a bullet? If you can save your sheep for the price of a bullet, it is a sound investment.

OK - so that sums up the more cautious "protection" attitude. In most other cases you probably have to look at them individually and make the best judgement. Most of the time you can probably save them, but the difference is a matter of value. Is it worth it to you to spend the money necessary to try and fix the problem? If it is, then you made the right choice. If not, then you did too.

UTROY
Proverbs 21:19 (why I hunt!)

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom