Advice on the Wasatch Front

D

d0c

Hello all!
I've been following the forums here for a couple of years now, and I must say I am impressed with the knowledge and diversity found amongst it's members. Anytime I have a question, I figure it has been asked before so I come and search the active and/or archived posts. Usually it brings much success, but I'm hoping to find a little more specific advice relevant to our current hunting conditions.

I'm relatively new to the pursuit of elk, this being my third year, due to other priorities (i.e. school and starting a family) and now I am at a point where I can do a little hunting for myself...finally! I've been up one of our lovely canyons along the Wasatch Front these last two weeks with an archery elk tag, looking for anything but a cow...and by looking I mean I'd be thrilled just to see a bull at this point in the hunt.

I have made a lot of observations, read many posts, and was hoping to discuss some things to guide me on my next several attempts.

Should I still focus during the daytime hours on north slopes in the dark pines? Will elk generally feed low in the night (8000-8500ft) and move back high up in the morning (10000ft)? It is very dry up there. I've been hard pressed to find water above 9000ft aside from established lakes. What have been gentle streams or wallows this time last year are now completely dry. The brush/grasses on most south/west facing slopes also seems to be very crisp. Yesterday I hiked 2-3 hours in and saw 3 bull moose, 2 cow moose, and 1 calf hiking to and past a pond ~8500ft. I also saw 8 deer, but no elk. Would the elk drink from one of the lakes where hikers or mountain bikers tend to travel to? Moose are fearless...but elk seem to be more weary to me.

Some people have said that due to the pressure of these past years, the bulls up on the front have gone quiet and nocturnal. Is that consistent with what you guys have been experiencing? If so, how do you recommend countering this?

Its 3am, so I better be off to bed. Thanks in advance for any received help or advice! I look forward to becoming more active in this fine community

-Doc

Hey d0c - Welcome to the forum.

Wasatch front is a beautiful area thats for sure.

Did you draw a Limited Entry bull elk tag for the Wasatch?

Or did you just get the hunters choice elk tag?

Obviously the Wasatch is a spike elk/cow elk only unit, you cant shoot a big bull unless you drew the Limited Entry bull tag there.

Let us know what tag you have and I am sure someone can get you some help!

"You sure you know how to skin grizz,
pilgrim?"

He says the Wasatch Front in his post, not the wasatch unit. My opinion is you're hunting too high. Go lower and you'll find them. PM me if you want some more details on what canyons to try ect...

Kzkammo, I sent a PM to you.

Bayside, your user inbox said it was inactive so I could not PM you!

You guys really thinking I'm looking too high? I'm heading back up tomorrow morning at 4am. I was going to walk a ridgeline about 2 hours in and try to glass down several canyons, but would I be better to pick a canyon and hike in from below, with the morning winds going down the mountain?

A good thunder storm just went by, so hopefully it will make it easier to find fresh tracks. If I was glassing at first light, where would you guys look? Open meadows? Near quakies? Below pines? Which slopes?

Thanks again for your input so far, I really appreciate it!

-Doc

I am by no means an expert when it comes to the Wasatch.
I have spent some time up there Hunting deer and hiking around.
The areas that I have narrowed my deer hunts to hold very few elk if any.
I have found elk in other areas. These elk were on all different facing
slopes with the bigger bulls on east facing slopes. The elevations I've found them at are between 6500-8500'.

Not sure if this helps or not. Keep looking and keep moving around until you find the herd you want to move in on.

Spent most the day yesterday hiking and glassing. Saw deer, moose, and heard a coyote pack make a kill...but the elk keep eluding me.
Is it too late in the season to take a salt lick up there? Or should I keep covering a lot of ground like Im doing?

Forget the salt its a waste of time. Hunt elk where the elk are. Its that simple. No elk no see elk. Elk get pushed around so much its hard to pattern them. Being mobile is honestly the best way to hunt them. You keep at it long enough youll find them

Good luck

Can we update this forum so posting with a
phone is easier?

Bearpaw Outfitters

Experience world class hunting for mule deer, elk, cougar, bear, turkey, moose, sheep and more.

Wild West Outfitters

Hunt the big bulls, bucks, bear and cats in southern Utah. Your hunt of a lifetime awaits.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, shiras moose and mountain lions.

Shane Scott Outfitting

Quality trophy hunting in Utah. Offering FREE Utah drawing consultation. Great local guides.

Utah Big Game Outfitters

Specializing in bighorn sheep, mule deer, elk, mountain goat, lions, bears & antelope.

Apex Outfitters

We offer experienced guides who hunt Elk, Mule Deer, Antelope, Sheep, Bison, Goats, Cougar, and Bear.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer high quality hunts on large private ranches around the state, with landowner vouchers.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear, cougar and bison hunts in the Book Cliffs and Henry Mtns.

Lickity Split Outfitters

General season and LE fully guided hunts for mule deer, elk, moose, antelope, lion, turkey, bear and coyotes.

Back
Top Bottom