advice on a good quality spotting scope

• Thread starter master fisherman (Guest)
  • Start date
M

master fisherman (Guest)

im looking for a good spotting scope in the $300 range that is quality and not cheap any advice

Got a windriver last christmas, after a year Im still pretty impressed. Quality for dollar spent, anyway.

I have used a Bushnell Trophy spotting scope for several years now and for the price range (under $300) it is great! They are super lightweight as well.

Nikon makes a great spotting scope for the money. They have a Nikon Realtree 15X45 zoom for 399.00 which comes with a tripod and carring case and window mount. But for 50 dollars less you can get the Sky and Earth model. Logon to Cabellas you can see what Im talking about... just keep in mind the 15X45 is smaller than the 60 power scope and easier to pack when hiking into hunting areas!!!

I just bought the Leouplod Windriver for roughly $320. It came with a portable tripod, a softcase, and a NICE hard case.....so far I like it....

Last year I drew a L.E. elk tag here in Utah, so I decided to invest in a spotting scope. I purchased a Leupold Windriver because I didn't want to spend more that $250 dollars. Turns out I was very disapointed with it. The Windriver is 15-45X 60mm lense. While scouting, I found that trying to view bulls using any setting beyond 15x was worthless even at distances under 1000 yards. It does not have enough light gathering power for anything beyond 15X. The more you zoom in the darker and blurrier the image becomes.
I took it back and purchased a Nikon Spotter XL 20-60X 70mm and just love it. It is priced at about $500 but made a big big difference. I went back to the same spot and watch the same elk which I previously could only tell were bulls. If fact there was one elk that I could barley make out was a bull using the Windriver. Viewing the bull in the same general area with the Nikon I could clearly see his antlers and determined he was a 360+ bull. With the Nikon, I could clearly see elk beyond 1 mile, In fact I watched 3 bulls one evening that were about 4 miles away. Of course, at that range there is not a great deal of detail but I could clearly see there were nice bulls. Very impressive.
If possible, I would recommend spending a little more $$ it's worth it. The saying you get what you pay for is very true.
There is nothing more frustrating than seeing a bull but not being able to determine how big he is.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom