? about the draw

4X4corners

LAST EDITED ON Feb-22-12 AT 03:44PM (MST)[p]I have been doing some searching, but haven't really found what I'm looking for. My question is, can residents and non-res apply as a group(3 res and 1 non-res)? If so, how does this affect the res draw odds? Or does it? Is it possible for three residents to draw, and not the non-resident if they are on the same app? Would it be better to apply seperately? Really starts coming into play with the new rules since it will be in the 6% pool.
Thanks for any help you can give.

Talked to someone in Santa Fe at G&F and was told that the application would go into the non-res 6% pool.

Unless the new rules this year also changed the draw process, here is the way it supposedly works on a mixed application:

If you have 3 non-resident unguided and 1 resident then when your application gets pulled, there must be 3 non-resident unguided tags and one resident tag still available. If there are tags available for the resident but not the non-resident, the whole application gets rejected. If there are tags available for the non-resident but not the resident (extremely unlikely scenario since they took 40% of the previously available tags from DIY non-residents) then the application is rejected.

Bottom line is any resident applying with non-residents, unless they are in the guided pool, will have their odds drop to the non-resident DIY, your more likely to win with a lottery ticket odds.

That is how it has worked in the past, though I have not studied all the changes brought on by SB196 or whatever the number is of the bill that took 40% of the DIY non-resident tags away.

wailing4 nailed it. When your application comes out of the hat, ALL tags R/NR must be available or you get tossed and nobody gets tags. They don't issue partial amount of tags for a particular application.

Because NR odds are generally worse what this means is you're facing the draw with NR odds.

+2 to the above! I have drawn twice out of 5-years, but now with the 6% I would say it is going to be tough!

Thanks to all for helping clear that up. First time having a non-res in the group. Seems we will need to apply sep
arately. Thanks again.

I really have no idea how it worked in 2010 or how it will work now, but I partied with two NM residents for a Gila Wilderness mulie ML tag that year and we didn't drsw that tag, but did draw our second choice adjacent to the wilderness.

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom