a win for the Nation, a loss for Bush

T

TFinalshot

Natural resources jobs to stay in agencies

By EVE BYRON - Independent Record - 1/8/07
Consideration of outsourcing thousands of federal natural resources jobs is on hold due to a relatively unknown provision included in the recently passed 2008 Omnibus Appropriation Act.

Deep within that budget bill is a ban on additional activities directed toward outsourcing any Forest Service jobs, according to the non-profit group Public Employees for Environmental Responsibility (PEER).

The legislation also severely limits outsourcing-related studies within the Bureau of Land Management, National Park Service and U.S. Fish and Wildlife Services, because it caps the amount the Department of Interior can spend on those studies at $3.5 million.

?Congress just put a bullet into the heart of the Bush administration?s strategy to commercialize resource management,? PEER Executive Director Jeff Ruch said on Monday. ?The Forest Service language is for a flat-out ban, and the Interior Department language is close to a ban in that the federal government can barely buy a bathroom for $3.5 million.?

His group has campaigned since 2002 against the Competitive Sourcing Initiative, which had directed those federal agencies to put out to bid to private firms any federal job not classified as ?inherently governmental.?

?It was an ideologically driven program that said if competition didn't kill you, therefore it would make you stronger,? Ruch said. ?But it was incredibly disruptive to morale ... and they had to cannibalize their operations budgets in order to stage competitions, costing tens of millions of dollars.?

Ruch added that this is only a temporary ban, which will lapse unless a similar provision is put into the annual budget bill this fall. But since many of the faces in Congress will remain the same, he expects that to pass again.

?Congress begins consideration of its fiscal year 2009 budget next month, and we think we might get a similar ban,? Ruch said.

Spokesperson Amy Teegarden said the Helena National Forest currently has 146 permanent employees, along with another 138 temporary seasonal workers.

The Helena Forest last year reorganized its workforce, and although it didn't lay off anyone, some people took early retirements or buyouts, and others had to reapply for positions after some jobs were eliminated or duties were reconfigured. Teegarden said this wasn?t part of the Bush Administration?s outsourcing program.

However, many within the Forest Service ranks believed it was a precursor to streamlining the Helena-based federal agency under the outsourcing ? which the Forest Service prefers to call ?contracting out services? ? and Teegarden said they have participated in studies related to the Competitive Sourcing Initiative.

In particular, the Helena Forest was considering using private contractors for communication activities, environmental planning analysis, aviation and computer application development services.

Teegarden had heard about the effort to halt the outsourcing studies, but she didn't realize it had passed as part of the appropriations bill.

?It's my understanding that all of that will come to a halt now,? Teegarden said.

She noted that there was ?a lot of heartburn? within the agencies as to the amount of time and money being spent on the studies, as well as concerns by employees about whether their jobs would go to the private sector.

In particular, many employees were concerned they would end up as private contractors for a federal agency, doing the same job yet without health, vacation and other standard benefits.

Teegarden said another concern is losing relatively good-paying federal jobs in some of the smaller communities, like Lincoln and Townsend, which have national forest ranger stations based there.

?Forest Service employees in those towns are always involved in local activities, and these are good-paying jobs in small, rural communities,? Teegarden said. ?We wanted to make sure we maintained a presence there.?

Both Teegarden and Ruch added that there also were worries that the public employees? ?collateral duties? ? such jobs outside the normal scope as when a biologist would fight wildfires ? weren't given full consideration under the pressure to contract out work.

?When you contract out the main functions, you lose those collateral duties,? Ruch said.

Montana's senators - Max Baucus and John Tester, both Democrats - supported the provision. Rep. Denny Rehberg, a Republican, was traveling and couldn't be reached for comment.

Baucus spokesperson Sara Kuban said she believes the Forest Service needs to keep people on the ground.

"Having full-time Forest Service employees in places like Libby rather than contract laborers in California is just common sense," Kuban said. "It helps promote good relations between the Forest Service and the local communities."

She added that the senator also is concerned about the collateral duties, like firefighting, that could be lost if the Forest Service downsizes.

"We need to ensure that the federal agencies have sufficient numbers of employees to help fight wildfires on the ground where they are needed," Kuban said.

Tester, who has met with members of the Forest Service employees' union a few times during the past year, said forcing the Forest Service to outsource and privatize a set number of jobs is reckless and shortsighted.

"What we're doing is saying 'Whoa, hold on here, Mr. President," Tester said in a statement released late Monday by his office. "It jeopardizes our public lands and the folks we trust to protect them.?

Reporter Eve Byron: 447-4076 or [email protected]

Tfinal;

This is the bill that Dude felt Bush should veto in order to prevent the slaughter of elk on Santa Rosa island. His argument was that if Bush failed to veto it, he was part of the problem concerning the elk. Bush did sign the bill with it's many benifits that outweighted Diane Feinsteins sneaky attachment.
Now what will be the other twist to the story????

RELH

They wouldn't be wanting to outsource the forest service if they were doing their jobs in the 1st place.

RELH, did it ever occur to you that Bush could have taken issue with the points in the bill he disagreed with? he probably knew he couldn't win this one but why not raise a little fuss about your Santa Rosa Island? you're a good loser, if Bush is your hero you gained that quality with plenty of experience.

Dude;
That bill also helped alot of farmers in five counties in CA. by protecting their water rights that was in danger of being curtailed. It seems that their water access in dangered the spawning of salmon, sturgeon during critical months. This bill provided 3.5 million for a transferr pumping station that would not kill off the young salmon and sturgeon that had just sprawned. With you being a farmer, do you still think he should have vetoed this bill? Kind of makes your argument senseless on bashing Bush on this one. Still does not take away the underhanded sneaking in the back door that Democrat Feinstein did.
RELH

LAST EDITED ON Jan-08-08 AT 08:47PM (MST)[p]OK but Bush still couldn't have objected to the Santa Rosa issue? or are you saying he didn't read what he was signing? how can you say his hands were tied unless he tried and got stone walled? he didn't give a crap just admit it.

bush hes great he cares about everything you cant make every person in this world happy. i have been very impressed with a lot of bush's decisions and would vote again for him. tired of hearing everyone complain, what else you supposed to do when someone attacks your country i know should have came home long time ago b.s.

Thats good news the more people we can keep on the government teat the better. LOL!

LAST EDITED ON Jan-09-08 AT 00:51AM (MST)[p]No Dude it was not a matter of him not giving a crap. It was a matter that he probably felt the bill had more good then bad and had to take the lessor of two evils and sign the bill into law. Just like we have to do sometimes when we go to the polls and vote. Why do you think a sneaky backstabbing democrat like Feinstein piggybacked her bill onto it, she knew that it would be very hard for bush to veto, because of the other good factors attached to the bill. Which helped assure her that she would end run the GOP congressman that stopped her before on slaughtering the game animals.

RELH

dude,

Isn't this what you middle-of-the-roaders call compromise ??? Seems you'd be tickled.

JB

Yes it is and I'm fine with it. I don't really care about Santa Rosa anyway, hunting mule deer on an island off the coast of CA isn't my thing.

For the most part I just like yanking RELH's chain, that's my main issue here.

Dude;
I have no problem with you "yanking my chain", I happen to have a very tough hide after dealing with morons and idiots for over 30 years. What you need to consider is how it makes you look like a hypocrit everytime you flip flop while trying to yank my chain. But, I have a confession also, I have baited you several times and you fell right in line according to plan!!!

RELH

That could be, but all I've said from the begining is Bush didn't give a crap about your Santa Rosa. nothing has been said to prove that wrong.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom