A recoil question...

feddoc

Long Time Member
I'm getting ready to get my kid another rifle.

He has shot his mom's .300 winnie without a problem (it has a brake and is very light)

So, for those who have shot both, do you think he can handle a .300wsm without a break? FWIW, he is 12, gonna be 13 soon and weighs about 155.

I can get another .270, but, I would prefer to stay with .300 stuff since I have so many bullets/primers.

No, not with full power loads. It'll kick too much for the young ones.

If you reduce the load, to get them started, it will work without a brake and then power up when they get bigger.

I built a mountain rifle in 300wsm with a Kevlar stock and it kicks pretty hard even with the 150 gr bullets! Even harder with 165,8 or 180's.

I did the reduced load thing for my youngest daughter and used 130 gr Barnes in her 300wsm. The combo works well on deer even without a brake. Her rifle has a wood stock and is overall heavier, which helps too.

Zeke

fed, I don't think weight has much to do with how well some one handles recoil. I have seen 200 pound men flinch with smaller calibers. If he is recoil sensative then I would stick with a 270, 280, maybe even 257 type caliber until he gets really comfortable. Are you hunting Elk or deer? Doesn't really matter the 270 is plenty. Good luck just my 2 cents...

Government doesn't fix anything and has spent trillions proving it!!!
Let's face it...After Monday and Tuesday, even the calender says WTF!

You're correct Kingfish.
My thought is if feddoc wants to stick to 30 cal he can use a 300wsm with 130 gr bullets, reduced load and it will perform and recoil about like a 270. He can crank it up later when/if the kid wants more horse power.
No brake required.
Zeke

If it is going to be used for deer hunting. Drop down to the 130 gr. bullets and load them to about 2500-2600 fps. Should work great on deer out to 150 yards if you choose a bullet with a light jacket that will open up at that lower velocity.
Recoil will be on par with a 30-30 or less.

RELH

155?

Jr started huntin at 75 lbs with a 300 WSM without a Break!

I did put one of them Sissy Limb Saver Kick pads on it for him!

Sweet Shootin Gun/Caliber!

[font color=red size=redsize=18"face"]SHOW THEM TO ME![/font]
If You Love Your Country,SHOW THEM TO ME!

I've got Wild Honey Tree's and Crazy Little Weeds growin around my Shack!
These Dusty Roads ain't streets of gold but I'm happy right where I'm at!
All these Perty little Western Belles are a Country Boys Dream!
They ain't got Wings or MM Halo's but they sure look good to me!

155lb at 12? Unless he's 6' I'd cut down on the cheeseburgers. He'll let you know what he can handle. I started my son on a 12ga shotgun and worked him down till he felt ok with what he was shooting. Worked for him he settled on a 270 win and shoots really well. "Course he's 40 now lol.

Slick

"The Road goes on forever & the Party never Ends"

I'll probably get another 270...depending on his grades and whether or not he keeps them up. Maybe next year.

He is about 5'6". His sperm donor is about 6'5", I expect him to grow a lot.

IT ISNT HOW MUCH YOU WEIGHT ITS HOW MUCH THE GUN WEIGHTS , THE MORE THE GUN WEIGHTS THE LESS RECOIL' IF YOUR NOT MAN ENOUGHT TO PACK IT. YOUR NOT MAN ENOUGH TO SHOOT IT,,

>IT ISNT HOW MUCH YOU
>WEIGHT ITS HOW MUCH THE
>GUN WEIGHTS , THE MORE
>THE GUN WEIGHTS THE LESS
>RECOIL' IF YOUR NOT MAN
>ENOUGHT TO PACK IT. YOUR
>NOT MAN ENOUGH TO SHOOT
>IT,,

Yup, I understand that.

Get him a rem 700 or something in a 308 win. 150's @ 2900 fps will take anything in the lower 48 inside of 400yds. No reason to saddle the youngin with a magnum when it aint needed....JMO.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom