A question for you gearheads

feddoc

Long Time Member
I have a new Weiand aluminum water pump for a SBC. When I tried to put the pulley back on, the back side of the pulley is rubbing on the pump housing.

I have a gear puller....will using the gear puller to pull the attaching plate out about 1/4 inch or so do anything bad to the water pump?

thanks.

Compromise, hell! ... If freedom is right and tyranny is wrong, why should those who believe in freedom treat it as if it were a roll of bologna to be bartered a slice at a time?

you'd be alot better off finding one of these shim kits.....
http://www.pitstopusa.com/detail.aspx?ID=55401

great post/pic, thanks for sharing

JB
497fc2397b939f19.jpg

Check the belt alignment before you do anything else. You may need a diffrent pulley? Cedar

Dont they make short and long water pumps for the SBC? Could be you have the wrong pump.

TAGATTRACTER is right. Chevy makes a short and long water pump. The shorter pumps were used in the mid to late 60's. Starting in the early 70's chevy went to the longer pump. If your pulley hits the housing you have the shorter water pump. Using a puller to pull the shaft out will destroy the pump. You need to get the longer water pump. even if you try a different pulley the belt allignment could still be off.

X^&^%#&$ing box is labeled long, but, the pump is just a bit shorter than my cast iron pump. Back to Summit I go for the long pump.

Compromise, hell! ... If freedom is right and tyranny is wrong, why should those who believe in freedom treat it as if it were a roll of bologna to be bartered a slice at a time?

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom