A Moose hunt for dad.

R

rdy2hunt

Hey all,

I was hoping that someone could point me in the right direction regarding a potential moose hunt for my father.

Note - My father is 62 and has seriose mobility issues stemming from a bad back surgery. (He has the appropriate disabled hunting permit)

He is looking to put in for a draw, because as he tells it ("I might as well try it once before i kick the bucket"), but being from the souther portion of the state, we are extremely unfamiliar with where to try.

We arent looking to get bullwinkle the super moose or anything, but are curiose if there are any areas with a reasonable chance of drawing that have accessible areas, and a decent success rate.

Any advice would be appeciated.

Thanks !

I'm currently doing the research on this for a hunt for myself as well and I know its not much but here are some of the obvious things that might help.
http://fishandgame.idaho.gov/ifwis/...ason=controlled&game=moose&yr=2010&method=any
This link is the harvest data from Idaho fish and game. This will help with your question on harvest rates. Next look at the drawing summary and you will see that many units you have a pretty high chance of drawing. Some of these give you a 10% to 40% chance of getting drawn.
http://fishandgame.idaho.gov/public/licenses/controlledHunts/lookupOdds.cfm

I cant help with specific unit but look that over. Also I would pick a unit with lots of roads so you can drive him around and hunt.

Hope this helps.

any of the 69 units should be fine, also look into 66 and 66a. a lot of moose units can be drawn with decent odds. also down by soda springs i think unit 76

with disregard to the backcountry units, even someone who is mobility challenged the hardest part of your hunt is going to be drawing the tag. so as easy as a place close to home, roaded, and the best draw odds. that will probably point to one unit. the season is generous, so patience and persistance is easier. and i would imagine with most of the folks here would be keeping an eye out for you and your dad if you let it known you were a tag holder. but drawing close or semi close to where you can poke around often would be worth it in it self. more time to hang out with your dad too..more memories for the hunt of a lifetime. moose hunting is sweet no matter where you are. just my 2 cents

Good advice, I hope to get lucky on the draw, but if not, we will keep putting in till we get it.

Thanks !

I am hoping to draw a tag as well this year! Best of luck with whatever unit you plan to put him in for!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Idaho Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Bearpaw Outfitters

Idaho Deer & Elk Allocation Tags, Plus Bear, Bison, Lion, Moose, Turkey and Montana Prairie Dogs.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, whitetail, bear, lion and wolf hunts and spend hundreds of hours scouting.

Jokers Wild Outdoors

Trophy elk, whitetail, mule deer, antelope, bear and moose hunts. 35k acres of private land.

Back
Top Bottom