a good outfitter should......

Always, always, always give them more than they expect. Under promise, over deliver.

DC

Always, always, always give them more than they expect. Under promise, over deliver.

DC

I have never used a outfitter , but just from being a customer in various fields I'll offer a few suggestions . HONESTY for me is number #1 . I can't stand dealing with any body that tap dances around or tries to sugar coat some thing . Be honest with your clients .

Have a good attitude and prespective . Another thing I think is give it 100% effort .

I have never used a outfitter , but just from being a customer in various fields I'll offer a few suggestions . HONESTY for me is number #1 . I can't stand dealing with any body that tap dances around or tries to sugar coat some thing . Be honest with your clients .

Have a good attitude and prespective . Another thing I think is give it 100% effort .

offer 200" mule deer for $500. That should keep you busy.

ok, seriously. Where and what do you outfit for?

Welcome to MM.

Eel

offer 200" mule deer for $500. That should keep you busy.

ok, seriously. Where and what do you outfit for?

Welcome to MM.

Eel

Lease some good private land to hunt on,stay off the public land used by the locals.

"I actually agree with NONYA on this."
MTMuley

Lease some good private land to hunt on,stay off the public land used by the locals.

"I actually agree with NONYA on this."
MTMuley

Should underbook and pay more attention to his current clients than to his future ones. Dance with the ones that brung ya in other words. Seriously - too many outfitters make the mistake of overadvertising and overbooking. They over commit themselves and their service suffers. Take on fewer clients - vet them just as much as they vet you. Make sure they are going to be good clients and pay for your services and not take advantage of you. Take excellent care of them and ask them for referrals. You will get more return business and a more solid clientelle that way than if you shotgun book everybody and his brother and can't come through on your promises.

UTROY
Proverbs 21:19 (why I hunt!)

Should underbook and pay more attention to his current clients than to his future ones. Dance with the ones that brung ya in other words. Seriously - too many outfitters make the mistake of overadvertising and overbooking. They over commit themselves and their service suffers. Take on fewer clients - vet them just as much as they vet you. Make sure they are going to be good clients and pay for your services and not take advantage of you. Take excellent care of them and ask them for referrals. You will get more return business and a more solid clientelle that way than if you shotgun book everybody and his brother and can't come through on your promises.

UTROY
Proverbs 21:19 (why I hunt!)

Are you going into this venture cold, or have you been working for other outfitters in the past? I would hope that you've been around the block a time or two before you jump in so that you've got a good idea of what clients' expectations are.

Good luck in your new venture.

TRH

Are you going into this venture cold, or have you been working for other outfitters in the past? I would hope that you've been around the block a time or two before you jump in so that you've got a good idea of what clients' expectations are.

Good luck in your new venture.

TRH

I have a game packing out service in the same units.With good success. got a chance to expand so i took it. We have cattle in the same units with cabins.it is a leap! the advice is greatly appreciated .i am soaking it up!

I have a game packing out service in the same units.With good success. got a chance to expand so i took it. We have cattle in the same units with cabins.it is a leap! the advice is greatly appreciated .i am soaking it up!

Offer nothin smaller than 200" Bucks & 400"+ Bulls!:D

For GAWDS Sakes Guys,We Got Kids on this Site,Some of them are 65 years Old!:D

I don't care if they're big or small!
If they throw lead I like em all!
:p

Offer nothin smaller than 200" Bucks & 400"+ Bulls!:D

I agree with Foundation 100%. I have never used an outfitter myself either, but I know a few that are very successful. You need to hire guides that can talk the clients up and make them think they are in the game, even if they are out of shape, can't shoot, weather is too hot, no game in the area this year, etc. Even if they don't have a chance, what you are selling most clients is the adventure and excitement of a real Colorado hunt! You gotta make them believe!! That probably covers 90% of the clients. You can actually do all this with honesty and integraty, which is important, as Foundation stated. For the other 10% (the ones that really are hunters), you just need to deliver and get them a shot at a good animal.
Good luck, sounds like you are in for a new adventure.
-- Bob

I agree with Foundation 100%. I have never used an outfitter myself either, but I know a few that are very successful. You need to hire guides that can talk the clients up and make them think they are in the game, even if they are out of shape, can't shoot, weather is too hot, no game in the area this year, etc. Even if they don't have a chance, what you are selling most clients is the adventure and excitement of a real Colorado hunt! You gotta make them believe!! That probably covers 90% of the clients. You can actually do all this with honesty and integraty, which is important, as Foundation stated. For the other 10% (the ones that really are hunters), you just need to deliver and get them a shot at a good animal.
Good luck, sounds like you are in for a new adventure.
-- Bob

He should always have the biggest Bucks & Bulls He's ever helped anybody harvest on his Brochures!

Then when a client takes a PISSCUTTER reality sets in!:D

He should always have the biggest Bucks & Bulls He's ever helped anybody harvest on his Brochures!

Then when a client takes a PISSCUTTER reality sets in!:D

Im with eel, what state and what part of that state. Sounds like you could have a pretty sweet set up depending on where your located. I have never used a guide but if it was drawn in an area I couldn't get enough info on and I was by myself without a partner I might take up on a guide. I agree with the above, be honest and don't tell a client anything you can't deliver. Give them full attention during their hunt.

Oh and don't worry about B-plop-a-pu-pu, he's a great guy and likes to raz folks. :)

GBA

Im with eel, what state and what part of that state. Sounds like you could have a pretty sweet set up depending on where your located. I have never used a guide but if it was drawn in an area I couldn't get enough info on and I was by myself without a partner I might take up on a guide. I agree with the above, be honest and don't tell a client anything you can't deliver. Give them full attention during their hunt.

Oh and don't worry about B-plop-a-pu-pu, he's a great guy and likes to raz folks. :)

GBA

Be personable. My father in law wanted to do a guided hunt for elk this year so at the end of the season last year I started reviewing outfitters and making contact. For the most part I got the same information and dry emails from all of them. I had one that called me not 10 minutes after sending them an email for more info. He didn't start rambling on about his business right off the bat either, instead he wanted to get a feel for what we wanted in a hunt. After several conversations with this outfitter and really feeling like this outfitter wasn't just looking out for #1 we booked. So I guess the best advice I can give is treat your clients like you would family and provide the best service you can and always be a sportsmen and you can't go wrong.

"Some days its just not worth chewing through the restraints"

Be personable. My father in law wanted to do a guided hunt for elk this year so at the end of the season last year I started reviewing outfitters and making contact. For the most part I got the same information and dry emails from all of them. I had one that called me not 10 minutes after sending them an email for more info. He didn't start rambling on about his business right off the bat either, instead he wanted to get a feel for what we wanted in a hunt. After several conversations with this outfitter and really feeling like this outfitter wasn't just looking out for #1 we booked. So I guess the best advice I can give is treat your clients like you would family and provide the best service you can and always be a sportsmen and you can't go wrong.

"Some days its just not worth chewing through the restraints"

I've guided and have been guided. The very best were the one that were honest about your chances of seeing an animal and what size they're seeing. It doesn't take long to tell your being bullsh*ted.
One guide told us that because of the hot weather, the bears would hole up and be hard to find. He was right, but damn that guy tried hard! I could tell he was frusrtated but we kept telling him that we were still having a blast.

I also hunted Kuiu island in a terrible storm. Every time the storm let up the guide would roust us up and we'd get out there. We saw lots of bears.

I also "hunted" whitetails in No. Idaho. All we did was drive around because it was too cold for the guide. We tried to get him out of the truck but he said we'd see plenty from the road.

Your going to have some real a-hole clients too. No matter what, keep trying and keep a frendly attitude. I once told a guy from W. Virginia to pull the trigger on a heavy 27" 7x7 muley. A buck I didn't think anyone would pass on. I should have shut my mouth. He had told us earlier that he wanted nothing but a 30"er. When he measured it, he threw his tag on the ground and left for camp. Before we got the deer boned out and back to camp, he had packed his things and left. We had to send him the antlers.

A stripper in camp would be nice too.

For long distance dial 1-800-338-EDGE

I've guided and have been guided. The very best were the one that were honest about your chances of seeing an animal and what size they're seeing. It doesn't take long to tell your being bullsh*ted.
One guide told us that because of the hot weather, the bears would hole up and be hard to find. He was right, but damn that guy tried hard! I could tell he was frusrtated but we kept telling him that we were still having a blast.

I also hunted Kuiu island in a terrible storm. Every time the storm let up the guide would roust us up and we'd get out there. We saw lots of bears.

I also "hunted" whitetails in No. Idaho. All we did was drive around because it was too cold for the guide. We tried to get him out of the truck but he said we'd see plenty from the road.

Your going to have some real a-hole clients too. No matter what, keep trying and keep a frendly attitude. I once told a guy from W. Virginia to pull the trigger on a heavy 27" 7x7 muley. A buck I didn't think anyone would pass on. I should have shut my mouth. He had told us earlier that he wanted nothing but a 30"er. When he measured it, he threw his tag on the ground and left for camp. Before we got the deer boned out and back to camp, he had packed his things and left. We had to send him the antlers.

A stripper in camp would be nice too.

For long distance dial 1-800-338-EDGE

LAST EDITED ON Jul-08-11 AT 01:37PM (MST)[p]i used an outtfitter once in idaho for a bear hunt. i had success but 2 things i always remember first is the food was incredible and we were asked if we wanted to check bear baits in the morning and help set them back up.everyone wants to brag about there tagged animal but i brag about those other things.

i for personal use i use horses. and when we run into an outtfitter in the hills the customer is walking. oh cause a horse freaked the guy out, so if your using animals be sure to have the best.

also get personal with your clients . let them know your seeing good animals before there hunt. send them pictures. after my idaho hunt that outfitter still calls me once a year seeing how i did hunting in my state. couple of years ago we took some guys from minnosta on an elk hunt{one family memebe and the other his friend}. we found out that the one guy had a birthday coming up. so we found a cowpie took some sticks for candles and added other things. he about fell over in his chair that night. everytime we talk he brings that memory up.

remember how you treat clients depends on your future. the biggest complaint i hear from people is having a snotty guide with a bad attitude.

LAST EDITED ON Jul-08-11 AT 01:37PM (MST)[p]i used an outtfitter once in idaho for a bear hunt. i had success but 2 things i always remember first is the food was incredible and we were asked if we wanted to check bear baits in the morning and help set them back up.everyone wants to brag about there tagged animal but i brag about those other things.

i for personal use i use horses. and when we run into an outtfitter in the hills the customer is walking. oh cause a horse freaked the guy out, so if your using animals be sure to have the best.

also get personal with your clients . let them know your seeing good animals before there hunt. send them pictures. after my idaho hunt that outfitter still calls me once a year seeing how i did hunting in my state. couple of years ago we took some guys from minnosta on an elk hunt{one family memebe and the other his friend}. we found out that the one guy had a birthday coming up. so we found a cowpie took some sticks for candles and added other things. he about fell over in his chair that night. everytime we talk he brings that memory up.

remember how you treat clients depends on your future. the biggest complaint i hear from people is having a snotty guide with a bad attitude.

Do not charge a tropy fee!I feel if I'M on a guided hunt that it is the responsibility of the guide to get me a chance at the best animal he can.If I kill a good animal or feel he tried hard the trophy fee will reflect in my tip.

Do not charge a tropy fee!I feel if I'M on a guided hunt that it is the responsibility of the guide to get me a chance at the best animal he can.If I kill a good animal or feel he tried hard the trophy fee will reflect in my tip.

I am getting great advice.This is the kind of comments I am needing. How do I advertise to get the most out of a small budget.keep the advice coming you guys have the experience . Thanks

I am getting great advice.This is the kind of comments I am needing. How do I advertise to get the most out of a small budget.keep the advice coming you guys have the experience . Thanks

Along with all the others...honesty, don't overbook, personable, etc. I would add do to the hunter(s) what you would want done to you if you were in their place. Make it easy for that first customer to want to come back. Ask him what made him choose you and you will get a good idea of what *that* type of hunter is looking for. Ask those first hunters what you can do to make their hunt go well.

Compromise, hell! ... If freedom is right and tyranny is wrong, why should those who believe in freedom treat it as if it were a roll of bologna to be bartered a slice at a time?

Along with all the others...honesty, don't overbook, personable, etc. I would add do to the hunter(s) what you would want done to you if you were in their place. Make it easy for that first customer to want to come back. Ask him what made him choose you and you will get a good idea of what *that* type of hunter is looking for. Ask those first hunters what you can do to make their hunt go well.

Compromise, hell! ... If freedom is right and tyranny is wrong, why should those who believe in freedom treat it as if it were a roll of bologna to be bartered a slice at a time?

Integrity.......

littlebeaver.jpg

a32_cleaners.jpg

Keep in mind that your clients will almost never be in close to as good as shape you are in.
They will not be able to spot the game you can spot.
They will not be able to make a shot as quick as you would be able to.
They will most likely not shoot as well as you.
They will not be as tough as you.

Do not let any of that affect how you would treat them.
Do not get frustrated with them. OR at least do not show it.
Do your best to put them in a position to be successful even though they are lacking in the above areas.

Most of these guys come from the city and do not get out in the woods as much as some of us.

Keep in mind that your clients will almost never be in close to as good as shape you are in.
They will not be able to spot the game you can spot.
They will not be able to make a shot as quick as you would be able to.
They will most likely not shoot as well as you.
They will not be as tough as you.

Do not let any of that affect how you would treat them.
Do not get frustrated with them. OR at least do not show it.
Do your best to put them in a position to be successful even though they are lacking in the above areas.

Most of these guys come from the city and do not get out in the woods as much as some of us.

Good equipment, a GREAT cook,easy to handle stock,Never talk bad about another outfitter(even if it so) Take the high ground.
Never sugar coat how hard the hunt will be. Make all hunters shot before the hunt to re-zero there guns and bows.

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".

Good equipment, a GREAT cook,easy to handle stock,Never talk bad about another outfitter(even if it so) Take the high ground.
Never sugar coat how hard the hunt will be. Make all hunters shot before the hunt to re-zero there guns and bows.

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".

LAST EDITED ON Jul-09-11 AT 11:41PM (MST)[p]...understand that things will not always go right yet at no time should he get mad, yell at, or blame the client in any way.

Joey

LAST EDITED ON Jul-09-11 AT 11:41PM (MST)[p]...understand that things will not always go right yet at no time should he get mad, yell at, or blame the client in any way.

Joey

shouldn't act like a dink on this forum or any other forum.A guide that has to puff up his chest to sell his product isn't a guide I would hire.

The good guides will always treat the public hunter with respect on the mountain and on the forums and let his photos do the talking.

a good guide will also let his hunter know the truth of what the client should expect on his hunt. I think a good guide will have video of the bulls or bucks he is trying to get his client on for that year. This tells me he has actually been out looking.

shouldn't act like a dink on this forum or any other forum.A guide that has to puff up his chest to sell his product isn't a guide I would hire.

The good guides will always treat the public hunter with respect on the mountain and on the forums and let his photos do the talking.

a good guide will also let his hunter know the truth of what the client should expect on his hunt. I think a good guide will have video of the bulls or bucks he is trying to get his client on for that year. This tells me he has actually been out looking.

A good outfitter just gettin started should call BPLOP, Adamsoa, Eel, and myself to invite us for the hunt of a lifetime. After the hunt, our letter's of appreciation will keep you booked for eternity......
;-)

GOOOOO RED WIIIIINGS

A good outfitter just gettin started should call BPLOP, Adamsoa, Eel, and myself to invite us for the hunt of a lifetime. After the hunt, our letter's of appreciation will keep you booked for eternity......
;-)

GOOOOO RED WIIIIINGS

in that case , do I have a deal for you! cheap at twice the price! and you did not think I was listening! seriously you guys are great !your advice is just what I need, anything you think could help me ,Ican use thanks

in that case , do I have a deal for you! cheap at twice the price! and you did not think I was listening! seriously you guys are great !your advice is just what I need, anything you think could help me ,Ican use thanks

I'm in!!!
Honesty and integrity is the biggest thing to keep you going. A mans handshake is his word, still works here in the west. If you end up with a pissed off customer, word of mouth is the fastest way to run out of business. Customer is always right, even when they are wrong.
These have worked for me for the last 13 years.

GOOOO RED WIIIINGS

I'm in!!!
Honesty and integrity is the biggest thing to keep you going. A mans handshake is his word, still works here in the west. If you end up with a pissed off customer, word of mouth is the fastest way to run out of business. Customer is always right, even when they are wrong.
These have worked for me for the last 13 years.

GOOOO RED WIIIINGS

A good guide shouldn't advertise his outfit with pics obviously taken in the 70-80s,cant believe how many here in MT post pics of themselves with trophy's 20 years ago.

"I absolutely had my head up my azz "
TOPGUN

A good guide shouldn't advertise his outfit with pics obviously taken in the 70-80s,cant believe how many here in MT post pics of themselves with trophy's 20 years ago.

"I absolutely had my head up my azz "
TOPGUN

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom