A CALIFORNIA REMINISCENCE

eelgrass

Long Time Member
Who longs for the old days? I do.:)

West Coast Signal
April 3, 1877
A CALIFORNIA REMINISCENCE

In the year 1853 we lived in Humboldt County, Cal., on the shore of the bay of that name, which is about 20 miles North of Cape Mendocino, the most western land in the United States. This bay is about ten miles long and from one to three miles in width, and is divided from the great Pacific Ocean by a succession of low sand hills, from a quarter of a mile to a mile in width.

We were engaged in lumbering and our camp was in the unbroken forest some 7 miles from Eureka, then a small town on the bay, but now a city of considerable importance we cut the lofty pines, magnificent spruce and majestic redwoods upon the plateau, hauled the logs with oxen, attached to a primitive timber truck, to the brow of a hill, where, with a sluice, we ran them into a small creek that emptied into the bay.

We had no forage for our cattle, and after a hard day?s work they were turned out to find whatever of food the creek bottoms afforded. Sometimes they strayed miles away into the unexplored forest, and days were often consumed in recovering them. These ?hunts? were not exactly boy?s play, neither were they devoid of danger, for beside the risk of getting lost, or encountering unfriendly Indians, the festive grizzly bear was often seen, and his presence was sometimes peculiarly unwelcome. To be sure, we never stirred from camp without our rifles, and we prided ourselves that, as shots, we were hard to beat.

On one occasion the writer and ?Joe? ?? were returning from a fruitless hunt for our oxen, when we came to a thicket of underbrush which seemed impenetrable.?Upon examining carefully, we discovered a sort of avenue leading through it, and, although we knew this path was made and kept open for Mr. Grizzly?s benefit, we resolved to avail ourselves of its advantages without asking permission.

We could not walk upright in the path, so in a half crouching position, and in single file, we commenced our explorations. We had gone but a few rods when, from a cozy nest in the densest part of the thicket Mrs. Grizzly and her two cubs confronted us. The cubs we should have gobbled at once for broiling purposes, but the mother didn't look much like that kind of a hairpin and, as discretion the was, and now is, the better part of valor, we precipitously retired from the scene, without even apologizing for our intrusion. Fortunately for us we were allowed to depart in peace.

During the day it began to rain, and having no compass, we lost our way and were compelled to camp in the unknown forest somewhere between the headwaters of Jacoby and Freshwater creeks. We did not go to bed hungry however, for our rifles procured a fine deer, which we knew how to cook in a manner which would make Delmonico turn green with envy. We made a bed of leaves in the hollow body of an enormous redwood, building a bough fire to keep off wolves, cougars, and other small insects as might felt inclined to make a meal of us without our consent. When it is known that this bedroom of ours was at least ten by twelve feet in area, it can readily be seen there was no danger of being crowded for room. We kept watch, however, not for fear of the wild animals, but for the wilder and more to be dreaded Indian?.

The next morning was rainy, and the sun obstinately refused to show himself. We could not tell east or south from a pile of slabs, but we could hear the faintest roaring of the ocean and by that uncertain sound we laid out our course. Towards noon it began to clear up, and in an hour or two we found ourselves on familiar ground.

As we were leisurely making our way along, sometimes through thickets and then an open stretch of forest, we came to the bank of a ravine and, looking down, we saw three enormous grizzlies drinking from a spring, a short rifle shot from us. They observed us at the same moment, but probably deeming us too insignificant for their notice, they resumed their lapping as unconcernedly as if we had been a couple of squirrels, barking at them from a neighboring tree. ?Joe, what say, let's have some fun!? ?All right, bill, take the chuckle headed chap and I'll introduce myself to the old boy just behind.? No sooner said than crack went the rifles and the dull thud, heard the same instant told that the aim had been unerring. Shooting grizzly bears, with round bullets, is not as safe an operation as catching rats in a trap, and we found it so in a surprisingly short space of time. A yelp of pain, an angry growl, and three bears came charging up the side of the ravine. Hastily reloading our rifles, we opened fire upon them and one of them rolled to the bottom, a defunct bruin. The other two had arrived nearly to our level by this time and were raging and furious. Before we could reload, they were close upon us and retreat was the next thing up on our order of exercises. A grizzly bear will outrun a horse on broken land, and we knew it; so we made for the nearest trees. Alas for us, they were all too large to climb, and we had no time to lose. One stroke of the huge paw, one crunch of the powerful jaws, and there would be two missing lumbermen.

It seemed to us as if we ran a thousand miles to reach a tree sufficiently small to climb, when really we did not go a hundred yards. None too soon, however, did we reach our tower of safety. Joe lost one boot, which his bear had insisted on pulling off as a keepsake, and the writer lost the biggest half of the patch on the seat of his pantaloons, which his bear took to make into lint, to dress his wounded head. This patch was labeled ?self-rising? being the face side of a flour sack, and to this motto we attribute our escape.

?Well, Joe, now we are in a nice pickle.? ?Dog-gone the luck, bill, I wish I was in camp and those bears in ?-.? ?Well, Joe, from present appearances, we have got to roost in these trees to-night? ?Corrrect Bill, but I don't feel qualified as a rooster?my feet don't fit these limbs, exactly, and dog-gone my skin if there's a bit of crow in me.?

We had to remain in the trees all night; but at daylight the next morning the bears left for parts unknown, evidently concluding that we would be tough eating anyway, and they could do better elsewhere?the same old story of sour grapes repeated. We didn't follow them, but descending from our uncomfortable perches, hungry and cold, we picked up our rifles, which fortunately had remained unmolested, and made the best possible time back to camp, thoroughly impressed with the fact that grizzly bears were not safe things to fool with.

Joe shoulda got his shoe back.

?Nothing in this world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful people with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. "

Eel I think the last CA. grizzly was killed around 1922 in the area of the Tejon pass in Southern CA. The CA. grizzly was larger then the grizzly bears found in the Rocky mountain states and Canada, but not as large as the Alaskan brownie.

RELH

eelgrass
Great story thanks for sharing it.

I have read a lot about the history of Northern California and know a lot about the history of my family back in those days and it was not a piece of cake they were super tough pioneers.

My wife's grandfather was a government hunter in Mendocino County and I've seen plenty of family photos of those days. The story is he killed one of the last grizzly bears in Mendocino County. My father-in-law said many years ago that the hide from that bear was hanging in a bar in Willets and he had seen it and heard the story. The bear was quite the cattle killer and many guys hunted that bear. Her grandfather died in his late 30's from appendicitis and she never met him.

Mr Eel,
Reading that story was thrilling but I'm not sure I would be man enough to tough it out in those days!

Zeke

#livelikezac

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom