A bunch of Tripod Questions

M

MikeTN

OK..I have read through almost all the tripod archives and now know enough to be dangerous. Based on what I have read I believe I need to make the bulk of my investment in a good head. Here are a few questions I have:
1) would like to hear opinions on the Hunt Pod sold by Janseens Adventure Outfitters. The ones I have seen advertised have a standard / fluid / and pistol grip head options. The price diff between standard and other two is significant. The diff between the fluid and pistol grip is minimal. Your thoughts on the quality of this tripod and which head is the best.
2) Would the Manfrotto Grip Action Head sold by Cabelas be too heavy for a Slik Sprint Mini tripod. The tripod says it supports 5 pds. The head weighs 1.8 pds plus your scope or binocs...seems like you are getting pretty close to the weight limit...any thoughts. I could get this setup for under two hundred $ but I am wondering if it would be a good setup.
3) Not sure I understand what the Jim White panning attachment does for you. Would Slik Sprint Mini with the Ball Head and a Jim White Panning attachment be a good combination?

As you have probably figured out I have not had the opportunity to put my hands on these setups and do not know much about tripods. I have Cabelas Euros and a Leica 62mm scope and would like to get a "good" tripod.
Thanks for any help you can provide.
Mike-TN

I may be mistaken but I think that the slik tripods have a different size connection than the Bogen head, although there is probabbly an insert thread you can use.

Sliks do have a different size mount. I used an extra insert for the Swaro spotters to fix the problem
?Here?s to the hero's that Git-R-Done!!?

I used the Jim White Panning Head attachment between my Outdoorsmans Pistol Grip and Outdoorsmans Medium Tripod. The idea was to have a lightweight pistol grip with the ability to nose bump my glasses left or right when glassing for Coues.

Problem was that the Panning Head attachment made it taller and for the added weight, I might just as well of gone to the Outdoorsmans Lightweight Panning Head or the Jim White Fluid Head for the same result. Which is the direction I ended up going anyway.

Re your question on the Manfrotto pistol grip mounted on top of a Slik 713 or 613CF Tripod. That is a heavy grip for a lightweight tripod. Kind of like a body builder that only works upper body. Doesn't look right and is a little top heavy.

Wade
www.HardcoreOutdoor.com

I had the Slik Sprint and did not find it stiff enough through the legs. For the same weight, I have the Velbon Luxi and put the Manfrotto 700RC2 fluid head on it. This is my current light setup for the 15x binos and camera. I also have the stiffer and slightly heavier Velbon Chaser EFL (Sherpa) which I can put the Manfrotto head on.

I have not tried any of the carbon fiber tripods.

I have the Slik Sprint Mini and only use it when I'm going to be carrying it on my back all day. It's compact and light, which is nice but has it's tradeoffs. You obviously cannot glass standing up and really need to be sitting on the ground. The bottom leg sections are a bit flimsy but I rarely use them while sitting on the ground. It does leave a lot to be desired in the wind, but that is understanbable with a small and light tripod. I glass off of it with my 10x42's and my spotting scope and find it stable enough, but not by much. I have a Velbon PH157Q head on it and am very satisfied, especially given the price.

I've come to the conclusion that you need two tripods. A compact one for backpacking and a full size one for when you won't be hauling it too far from the truck.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Great Deals at Camera Land

Camera Land - Optics, Cameras, & More

Camera Land - The Place to Buy Optics

Camera Land - The Place to Buy Optics
Back
Top Bottom