87 Deer info?

sageadvice

Long Time Member
I buck hunted that unit a couple years ago and gave a full report with pic's in these pages. I also helped a few with info thru here and with PM's. Was wondering if any hunted the unit this year and how they did? Thanks!

Joey

"It's all about knowing what your firearms practical limitations are and combining that with your own personal limitations!"

Joey,
Looks like nobody hunted this unit - must mean i can draw a tag then for 2012 since its no good right:)

Yeah Muley, it must be pretty bad though i'da thought all them nice young bucks would'a grown up by now. I'll probably get to draw too, :), see you there!

Joey

"It's all about knowing what your firearms practical limitations are and combining that with your own personal limitations!"

Sage I was wondering the same thing. I read your original post hunt post and was thinking a bunch of those buck you were seeing should be looking pretty good by now. I had been contemplating burning my points on the unit, but haven't heard anything on it lately. Don't know if that's a good or bad sign.

Dave

Joey,
Garth says the deer in 87 were devastated by last winters weather. Hmmm....

Joey,

I was one of the guy's you helped a few years back,thanks again! I talked to a guy who hunted 87 in 2011 and he and his partner hunted hard for 2 weeks and only saw one buck he thought was a shooter. He was unable to get on the buck and came home without shooting one.

Rick

Rick and guys, Thanks for the info. I still have to believe that this is a pretty good hunt. I never said it was great but after talking to three buddies this past season who drew and hunted 102, pretty sure which tag i myself would rather have.

My Pard hunted lopes in this unit the past two seasons. He's also taken some time to scout out the country that we buck hunted in together. He's still pretty hot on the unit. It's definitely a choice-option when you look at the quality to be had in the hunt zones statewide.

Joey

My hunting buddy drew out on 87 this past season, we logged about 15 days scouting and 8 days hunting. After seeing what I saw this year I am re-evaluating what to do this year. Sure we saw a good number of deer, opening morning we did see one maybe 170" buck. After opening day the best we saw was a 22-24" four point. My buddy went home empty handed! Living only 30 minutes from the unit it is a no brainer but the quality just isn't there anymore. I drew the tag 2 consecutive years about 6 years ago and it is not the same unit. Carbon County is suffering in every direction for deer. Was a complete disappointment across the board. Went to Craig Colorado for new years eve and along the highway between creston junction to craig colorado we saw a grand total of 5 deer on some of the best wintering grounds I have ever had the pleasure to see. We saw more dead deer laying on the side of the highway then live deer. As far as 87 is concerned it continues to bewilder me how guys like the Eastmens and Garth Carter rank this as a top choice unit. Last time I talked to our local game warden for the north areas like 87 he claims a huge cut in tags for 2012 and forward. He told us to expect 30 tags in unit 87 for 2012. Again do not know how much truth there is to his comment but after what I saw I would believe it.

Another side note on unit 87.......... Opening morning we ran into one of the local ranchers who in years past has always let a number of guys trespass on his ranch, which when I held the tag both years I drew my deer were taken on his ranch. He told me 2012 and beyond there will be no more trespassing on his land, he is locking his gates from now on. This is not good news for 87 as he holds some of the most prime deer hunting unit 87 has to offer.

Thnks Muley W for your in depth reports. I read your area 63 antelope reports of the area too and it's all doom and gloom with you. Anyway, thanks for taking the time.

My Neighbor too, hunted this area about every other year, going way back, with a group of accomplished veteran hunters who assembled a camp and attended the hunts every year if they drew out or not. Seems it was a lot easier to draw back then. They stayed away from the "bigger" ranges to be hunted and zoned in on short hunts of the smaller ridges and rock piles. They seemed to do pretty good.

I too know of a key ranch that may not be able to give permission next season as it has in the past. This one would more effect our lope hunting that deer but there is a trend here worth noting. I like that country. Some a bit too steep and rough for me but some of it just right and last time there, i saw and found what we were looking for. Thanks Guys!!

Joey

This past season i was going to apply for this unit but decided to hold off. Sounds like the deer herd in general had a tough time last winter!

7 Mag

Joey,

Guess you are right it is a pretty doom and gloom outlook on 63,62 antelope units as well as 87 deer. Rest assured there isn't a small ridge or "rock pile" I haven't hunted out there. I have spent my entire life in these areas and spend countless days every year in them, in fact I hunted 87 deer before it was ever a limited quota hunt. I also work with and am friends with ranch managers or relatives on two of the biggest ranches in this country. In fact this is my first night shift back after chasing lions for four days on Ferris. These areas are no different than any other unit in southern wyoming, they are hurting and hurting bad.

I suppose if a guy is just looking for an enjoyable hunt, that can be accomplished in 87. Although we did not tag a deer this year does not mean for one second it was not a successful deer season. We had a blast out there! If a guy is looking to burn max points on a deer tag and is satisfied with a 24-26" four or three point than yeah its a great area. My hunting buddy and I are not the normal guys that are happy with just any deer. We hunted hard looking for a monster and didn't find one, no biggie. Am I applying for the tag? Nope and if the trend holds true I will never again. I have the exact same opinion on 63 antelope. To me I can't see any reason to waste max points anywhere in carbon county! Other than maybe to use em' up and wash their hands clean of the state of wyoming!

muleywarrior, Hey thanks for your opinions but i'm going to have to pass on most of them. Good luck to you on your hunts.

Two guys that i know killed 200" type 30"+ bucks there in the last three years. Granted that is only two bucks but i only know a handful of guys that have hunted there. Two dandies from that many guys is pretty good from where i stand. The other guys did, as you said could be done, along with me and my pard, got nice mature bucks in the 24-26" range, not bad for these days, DIY hunts on public ground.

Sorry, the antelope hunting either, i know it could be better but i just don't buy all your doom and gloom, not for a minute!!

Joey

I have a buddy who hunted antelope 63 last season and him and his brother shot goats that were just over 80. They said they didn't see anything better, but they only hunted two days. Was talking to the biologist last year about 87 & 89 deer. He said he didn't see one being better than the other right now as they're both still pulling good bucks from each. He said he'd take either tag if he could draw it. I put in for 87 four years in a row and couldn't draw. I'd gladly take the tag, but I've given up for better odds somewhere else...

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom