.7mm WSM vs. .7mm rem mag

rifleman

wanting to get a .7mm mag, but looking for some advice in deciding which one.i like the benefits of the short action version (.7mm wsm). i've read some of the load data. it seems that the original .7mm rem mag., especially with the heavier 160 and 175gr. bullets will still out perform the .7mm wsm as well as the remington version .7mm saum. for any of you .7mm owners, have you ever had any problem getting good accuracy and velocities of 3200fps-140gr, 3100fps-150gr and 3000fps-160gr. with the original .7mm rem mag? it seems that the shortaction versions tend to be very accurate with velocities close to the ones above, at least until you get to the 160+gr. bullets. is there really that much benefit of a shortaction anyway? its seems its only about and inch shorter overall rifle.

LAST EDITED ON Feb-06-04 AT 08:59AM (MST)[p]I think you answered your own question... The WSM is only a half a pound lighter, and an inch shorter. Hardly noticeable, the All that means to me is its going to kick harder, since they are basic equivilents.

"Have you ever had any problem getting good accuracy and velocities of 3200fps-140gr, 3100fps-150gr and 3000fps-160gr. with the original .7mm rem mag?" Nope, both are pretty much equals, with the 7mm beating the WSM with the heavier bullets due to the case capacity being larger...

"Is there really that much benefit of a short action anyway?" No, not in the real world of hunting... Yes if you were into highly accurate compition rifles, as the short actions are "stiffer" therefore more consistent. But I doubt you'd be shooting a WSM anyway... It really comes down to personal prefrence. What one you like the feel of better...

Personally I like pulling the bolt back on a cannon and pushing the next war head in, where as with a short action I don't get that satisfaction... kind of makes me feel infeior ;)

There is really no advantage that I see. Sure it is supposed to be lighter and has a shorter action....allowing for faster follow up shots. But you should seldom need a follow up shot if you do the job right the first time right? However, you can only stuff 3 of those fat cartridges into the rifle. If you tend to "blaze away" I can see this will give you a disadvandage. I got the Wal-Mart special 7mm WSM, Super Black Shadow complete with cheepo scope for under $400. I replaced the scope with a Nikon Buckmaster and lightened up the trigger. It shoots about the same as any other average hunting rifle with groups going .75" to 1.5" @ 100 yds with Winchester Ammo. Only reason I wanted one is because of the fad and not ever owning a 7mm rifle before. I've taken a couple muley bucks and a 300 class 6x6 bull. It reached out and did the job on the deer, I shot the bull at about 40 yards after tracking and bumping him out of his bed. The bull dropped in his tracks from a good neck shot. I like the rifle but I love my trusty ol 270 win.

I own 3 7mm Rem Mags and thats where my vote goes. The 7mmWSM gets over the Rem mag is with really when reloaded with light bullets 140grs or less. They are really a "1 job rifle" where the Rem Mag is a much better "get it all done" rifle. I could go anywhere in North America and get the job done with the right handload. I would want a larger bullet for big bears but could still get it done if needed. If you notice Winchester only loads lighter bullets in the 7mm WSM because the larger 160-175grs take up to much case room so there's not enought room for the powder needed to match the Rem Mag. If you want a real performer with the larger bullets check out the 7mm STW. That will me my next super mag after I get the 257 Weatherby that I have been dreaming of. Don't waste your time looking at the 7mm Weatherby because its the same as the Rem Mag just the ammo cost alot more. Hope this helps. Jovan

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom