7mm rem. mag reloading help.

T

tyee

I was hoping that someone could give me some tips of a good mix of powder and bullet to use with my 7mm rem.mag. Right now I'm using 162g hornady bullets and IMR 4350 powder. They shoot good but I am looking for other loads that may shoot better without buying a bunch of different powders. Also does anyone know if the H1000 powder is good to use with the 7mm? Thanks for your tips.

tyree, I've loaded 120gr.Bal.Tips, 160gr.Sierra BT, 140gr.Nosler and alot of other bullet weights and IMR4350 is the only powder I use. It's a great powder for the 7MAG.

I shoot 4831 in my 7mm. Very accruate with 160 gr Sierra SPBT's sub MOA easily... Four of my friends shoot the same load and have ecellent results. 4350 is also a good choice. 7mm's don't seem to be very finicky about what they take as long as its slow burning... Good luck

Just kidding about mixing the powder. I agree with Bambistew, I have been shooting the Sierra 160 for years with a few different powders. It flys Great.

One thing you have to look at is what primers are you using, this sounds crazy to some people about 3 years ago I was loading up some custom rifle loads and using regular primers and the groups were crappy at best,I sent the rifle back to the maker and told him what I was doing and he returned the rifle shooting well under 1\2 inch groups and with the same power,grains ect but with different primers ,I suggest trying federal Gold Metal 215M primers these are match grade primers and work miracles for me and also they are only a couple of dollars differance per box.also you might try imr 7828 power or vitavori thay both work great for me

160 Nosler partitions, 62 grns. IMR4831 shoots sub MOA for me. H4831 works just as well. Going to give the 140's a try this summer and see how they work, have heard some good things about them.

thanks for all the tips Ill have to give some of those loads a try and see how they fly for me.

I gotta agree with Bambistew. I have used Sierra 160 gr. SPBT's with 63 grains of IMR 4831 and a Rem 9.5 large rifle primer for years. In a word it is "FANTASTIC".

72.5 grain of H1000 (Maximum), Fed 215M primers and 162 grain Hornady registered an average of 3080 fps on my chrongraph (10' in front of the barrel) out of my old Rem 700 ADL, 24" Barrel.

72.0 grain of the same H1000 (Also Maximum) averaged 3020 fps with 175 grain Hornady (A good Elk Load).

66.5 grains of Alliant Reloader 22, Fed 215M primers and 139 grain Hornady SST showed 3320 fps last year (who needs an Ultra Mag huh).

You gun may produce a little bit more or less in fps, but should be plenty to hit close the the above listed velocities.
All loads shot under inch at 100 yards, the most accurate being the 175 grain Hornady, 1/2" at 100 yards.

PLEASE BE CAREFUL, these are maximum loads, start about 10 grains less and then slowly work your way up.

Laters.................

Its hard to beat the hornady 162 sierra 7mm. If anyone has a more accurate load for long distance shooting I sure would like to hear about it.

First off whats with all the 7mm mag post?

Heres my go to load:

H870 powder 78.0 grs
Sierra 160gr SBT GameKing #1920
Winchester LR primes (but plan to change to Federal Gold Medal)
R-P cases (just because the brass is softer)
O.A. Length 3.265"

First time I used this load got 3/4" groups and haven't even tried to inprove. I'm sure I can get 1/2" groups but I dont need that out of a hunting rifle. Hope this helps. THanks Jovan

looking on the internet you can no longer get the H870 powder because it was a military surplus powder and it is no longer getting used. However a new retumbo powder is out that is supposed to be quite good

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom