7mm or 300 win mag, which one ?

Elkextreme

I know that this topic has been thrown around for a long time. Here's my deal I have a Savage 7mm Rem Mag which is a tack slammer, but I've been toying with the idea of getting a Tikka T3 or Weatherby chambered in 300 win mag. But I'm not sure I can justify the cost of the 300 when the 7mm does its job very well. I've never owned or shot a 300.
My research says that this 2 rifles are pretty close in performance, some people give the 7mm the edge and others the 300.
Looking for positive feed back based on your experience.

I HAVE KILLED ELK WITH BOTH THE 7MM & .300MAG. BEING THAT YOU ALREADY HAVE THE 7MM I WOULD STAY WITH IT. YOUR REALLY SPLITTING HAIRS HERE, I ACTUALLY PREFER THE 7MM........AND YOURS IS A TACK DRIVER.

IF ITS NOT BROKE ....DONT FIX IT..............YD.

I never wanted more than my 7mm could do. If $ is burning up your pocket, you might upgrade the optics. You'd notice that more than a little bigger magnum pop.

I have both the 7 Mag and 300 Ultra-Mag. My 7mm has killed every animal it ever barked at, and all my friends and family affectionally call it "Black Death". Love it, and is my first choice for deer and antelope. If you're confident with yours, I'd stick with it.

That said, the 300 magnum does everything the 7 does, but out hundreds of yards farther! You can't kill anything too dead, and if there is even a chance I am going with cross canyon shots on big animals, I take it instead.

I shot a 7mm Rem mag for most all of my hunting for many years. But when I got a sheep tag, I decided I wanted a lighter weight rifle and ended up getting a light weight 300 WSM (which is basically the same as a 300 mag, but in a lighter version). The carry weight was the number one reason I switched.

I have since made my 300 WSM my go to gun, and I love to carry a lighter weight rifle when mountain hunting. The 300 does buck more and I eventually had to put a muzzle break on it to avoid scope bites.

Had I not wanted to shed a couple of weapon pounds, I'd still be toting my 7mm.

If I hunted deer more than elk, I'd go (stay) with the 7mm Rem Mag.

If I hunted elk more than deer, I'd go with the 300 Win Mag for the heavier bullet availability.

Really the bottom line is hair-splitting and both are great cartridges for US big game of any size.

Zeke

LAST EDITED ON Mar-01-16 AT 11:25AM (MST)[p]Unless you are planning on killing elk farther than 1376 yards away, stick with your 7MM!

"You can fly a helicopter to the top of Everest and say you've been there. The problem with that is you were an a$$hole when you started and you're still an a$$hole when you get back.
Its the climb that makes you a different person". - Yvon Chouinard

You have a rifle that you're happy with and is capable of dropping just about anything in North America up to moderate ranges. Unless that rifle is in danger of being worn out or that money is burning a hole in your pocket, stick with the Savage and save your money for a rainy day.

If you're asking the question, that means you have some doubts.

I could only afford one, so I went with the .300 win mag. I have all the bases covered and I don't have to think about it. If it lives in North America, I just grab my rifle and go.

If you want one, buy it. If you get one you like, sell the 7mm and you're done. Or keep both and constantly wonder if you're taking the right rifle.

Thank you all for your valued opininons which means a lot. Yes I can afford a 300 without hurting my pocket. My 7mm already has some awesome optics, looks like I already have a great set up for elk hunting here in the NM. I don't need another rifle, but I think I would like another one. Just in case we can't have toooo many rifles or can we?
Thanks again..

>Thank you all for your valued
>opininons which means a lot.
>Yes I can afford a
>300 without hurting my pocket.
>My 7mm already has some
>awesome optics, looks like I
>already have a great set
>up for elk hunting here
>in the NM. I don't
>need another rifle, but I
>think I would like another
>one. Just in case we
>can't have toooo many rifles
>or can we?
>Thanks again..

Oh, in that case Tikkas are superb, accurate rifles. Put a big ol'Vortex on it and go hunting.

I have a 7mm, .300 WSM., two .300 Win, and
a .300 RUM, among other calibers, but I always grab my
.300 WSM when it is hunting time, because it is light and a tack driver!
I used my 7mm for six years before I switched to the .300 WSM,
only due to the lighter weight.
Truth is, you can't go wrong with any of them. They all hit with a wallop!

I went with the 7mm Rem Mag for my Tikka T3 Lite. I love it. I was never really considering the 300 when I bought it. I put a Harris bipod and a Vortex scope on mine. No complains.

47300814151424.jpg

Dillon

www.dillonhoyt.com

Love all the replies....some good stuff in this post....we picked a T-3 for our Grandson...upgraded the recoil pad and put a KDF muzzle brake on it.....awesome rifle....

Go get a 7mm in a Tikka super light, yes the super light fluted barrel,,, its a 7 pound gun with scope and sling, best shooting gun out there IMHO, does it kick , sure does but who cares , squeeze it off and retrieve game ,, its that simple ,, i packed a heavy weight gun for 30 years ,never again,,,,

You have to go up pretty heavy on bullet weight in 30 cal to beat the ballstic coefficient of a 160 gr or heavier 7 mm bullet with a substantial increase in recoil to boot. Only then will you reap the benefit of the 300 mag at longer range.

Lots of elk fall to the 6.5 mm rounds even at long range. If you want a 300 mag, by all means buy it. I wouldn't worry a bit about your 7 mm mag on elk though. Just use a good bullet like the 160 gr accubond.

NRA Life Member

www.swanspointoutfitters.com

The critters have to win every time. I only have to win once.

I'm loving all this replies, I'm for sure keeping my 7mm, with a 300 win mag or a 300 wsm as a back up. I'm shooting 175 grain Remington Core-lock bullets I haven't lost any big game animals yet.
Tikka T3 are supposed to be great shooting rifles, never shot one though, I love my Savage.

I have both and both are Tikkas, the difference is my 300 WSM is T-3 Lite. To me, it's more about how far I'll be hiking that decides which rifle I pull out of the safe. Less than 10 miles, I'm going with the 7mm. More than 10 miles, it's gotta be the T-3 Lite. The T-3 Lite is an awesome shooter, but it'll also whack the crap out of you. Couple issues with that. When I shoot the 7mm, the recoil is not usually enough to prevent me from seeing the animal drop. Not so with the T-3 Lite--I usually lose sight of my target for a second or two after pulling the trigger. I've dropped several animals right where they stood, but I never saw them go down because I was still recovering from the recoil. The other issue, make sure you invest in some bases and a scope that stand up to that kind of abuse. In my experience, the factory rings that came with it are not up to the challenge, and neither was the first scope that I put on it, which was the same model that I've had such good success with on my 7mm.

But yes, if you're fortunate enough to be in a situation where you can have another toy, it's hard to go wrong with a 300.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom