.7mm mag?

swbuckmaster

Long Time Member
I have an Interarms Mark x with a Leupold 3x9 scope I haven't shot this gun in 10 years. It never shot a good group back then. Could have been me!

What are your thoughts on this gun. Is it a pos OR does it have potential to become a good gun with some work?

What is the estimated value of it?

gun.

LAST EDITED ON Jun-09-11 AT 01:37PM (MST)[p]

The Interarms rifles were imported under that name and made in Yugoslavia with the Mauser style action. It is now comparable to the pre 64 Winchester Model 70 action so it's a well made piece. That rifle with the Leupold scope on it is worth some money if you decide to sell it. My guess is that if it wasn't you that the rifle may just need some tinkering, maybe even something as simple as proper torquing of the screws, including the bases and the rings of the scope, or maybe a little bigger project like bedding the barrel and/or action. It could even be that it just didn't like the ammo or particular grain of bullet you were putting through it and that's why handloading can cure a lot of problems at times. If you don't want to mess with it and want to sell it, I can guarantee that if you put it up for sale on the net that you will sell the action alone for a tidy sum to someone looking to build a custom gun.

I wouldnt shoot one of those POS long guns for all the rice in China.

I'm a gangsta

SW, One of my best bud's and hunting pards shoots that exact gun combo. I don't know that he's ever put his rifle on the bench for a strict accuracy test but i do know that he's taken some smoker Muley bucks and a couple dozen Blackies that anyone would love to have. He is nails with that setup, you couldn't pry that weapon from him for love nor money!

I'm also guessing that it's either something small time or you just don't like shooting that gun, maybe a little of both. Try some lighter loadings, like 140's, after a really super good cleaning of the tube. That may do the trick right there!

Joey

Yep, like Joey and are are both saying, start with the basic simple stuff and maybe you won't have to go any further than the few little things we have mentioned.

With all the changes in utah coming i figured id get it out and make it a gun either I can shoot or someone in my family can shoot.

What is the cost for doing bedding, trigger, scope and misc bolts torqued. I think its worth putting in 300-500 bucks if it will turn it into a shooter. Instead of selling it and starting over.

LAST EDITED ON Jun-09-11 AT 02:57PM (MST)[p]
I wouldn't worry about bedding unless all the real simple, cheap stuff doesn't do the trick. The only thing you may need a smith to do initially that you probably won't want to touch yourself is to bring the trigger down to around 3# because it is probably a lot more than that if it has never been worked on since it left the factory. Just having a smith make sure all the screws are tightened properly and the stock/steel is fitted properly so there is no improper pressure being put on the barrel and having a trigger job done probably won't cost more than $75 to $100 bucks and that's what I would do first. A good trigger job can bring 2" groups down under 1" a lot of times if the shooter can shoot from the bench properly. I know that for fact because I have a Ruger M77 and a pre 64 Model 70 and they both came down under 3/4" with just a trigger job on them. That was about 15 years ago and the cost was $40 bucks then, so it may cost twice that now and that's why I was guessing when I said $75. If you think you may be the culprit, find someone at a gun range that has a bench setup that you can put the rifle in to take you out of the equation or let somone else you know that can shoot put a few rounds through it. See what kind of group it shoots with several different brands of ammo and various grain weights. You may not have to spend over $100 to make it a shooter, but even if you spend 3 times that much it would still be a lot cheaper than buying a good rifle nowadays when you already have the makings topped with a great scope.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom